[comp.sys.next] PTROFF...

shahryar@sfsuvax1.sfsu.edu (Persian Nightmare) (06/10/91)

Anyone know where I might be able to find the sources for ptroff,
the nice utility that comes with the NeXT OS??

Thanks,

Shahryar

--
'The greatest of evils and the worst of crimes is poverty.'
George Bernard Shaw--"Major Barbara"

In article <1991Jun10.152106.3239@csus.edu>
	shahryar@sfsuvax1.sfsu.edu (Persian Nightmare) writes:
>Anyone know where I might be able to find the sources for ptroff,
>the nice utility that comes with the NeXT OS??

ptroff is part of Adobe's Transcript package.  This is LICENSED
software that NeXT is kind enough to bundle with their Releases.
If you want it for some other "competing" platform, e.g. a Sun,
expect to pay BIG BUCKS for BINARIES--educational pricing
for Transcript is on the order of $1800 per machine.  Sources?
Ha ha.

NeXT offers more than cost-effective hardware; even with the
new HP machines that ostensibly offer "more bang for the buck,"
when you consider the True Cost of Ownership, NeXT is still #1.

					-=EPS=-

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (06/12/91)

Eric P. Scott writes
> ptroff is part of Adobe's Transcript package.  This is LICENSED
> software that NeXT is kind enough to bundle with their Releases.
> If you want it for some other "competing" platform, e.g. a Sun,
> expect to pay BIG BUCKS for BINARIES--educational pricing
> for Transcript is on the order of $1800 per machine.  Sources?
> Ha ha.

I presume that by "Ha ha" you mean that the source code costs about
$2500, rather than meaning that it's not available at all, because
it is.  It's available from Adobe and I think also from Sun.

But I agree with you that it's another place where NeXT is quite
cost-effective as a platform.

--
 Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		NeXT/PostScript developers