[comp.sys.next] Printing daemon hanging in 2.0?

dean2@garnet.berkeley.edu (Dean Pentcheff) (06/12/91)

We've recently upgraded our 68030 cube to the 2.0 OS and printing has
become a bit flakey.  Most of our printing is via PC/NFS (which uses
the standard lpr system) to the NeXT's printer and to two serial-
attached printers.

Since the upgrade we've had intermittent printing failures.  For no
apparent reason printing ceases (sometimes in mid-job), lpq tells us
that daemons are not present (and ps confirms that) and we're stuck.
Ps shows a single /usr/lib/lpd still present.  Starting another does
nothing.  However, killing the old /usr/lib/lpd (so that now there are
no lpd daemons present) _then_ starting a new one makes everything
peachy-keen again.

Is this a known bug?  Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Dean
--
Dean Pentcheff  (dean2@garnet.berkeley.edu)
Department of Integrative Biology, University of California, Berkeley CA 94720

In article <1991Jun12.024405.24440@agate.berkeley.edu>
	dean2@garnet.berkeley.edu (Dean Pentcheff) writes:
>We've recently upgraded our 68030 cube to the 2.0 OS and printing has
>become a bit flakey.

>Is this a known bug?  Any ideas?

All of the core printing/faxing support is replaced in 2.1
...Upgrade!

					-=EPS=-