[net.auto] turbos and other superchargers

ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) (02/11/86)

The turbocharger, despite any increase in backpressure it may cause, is
still the most efficient kind of supercharger.  The only reason anyone
uses belt-driven superchargers at all has to do with the requirements of
drag-racing, in which split seconds mean winning or losing.  This is the
one situation in which the turbocharger doesn't quite get it, due to the
fact that it only comes on at (relatively) higher rpms, whereas the boast
from the belt-driven supercharger is there from jump.  Drag-racer motors
still lose more power from driving the belt-driven supercharger than they
would from driving a turbo but, all things considered, it doesn't matter
to them.  Turbochargers are the superior technology for any other application
requiring monstrous amounts of power, although most hot-rodders still prefer
more ordinary technology.

hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) (02/12/86)

In article <511@imsvax.UUCP> ted@imsvax.UUCP writes:

>....  This is the
>one situation in which the turbocharger doesn't quite get it, due to the
>fact that it only comes on at (relatively) higher rpms, whereas the boast
>from the belt-driven supercharger is there from jump.

Although I don't think we'll ever see even a remotely successful turbomotor
for drag-racing, the high-revs problem is slowly changing as a number of
automakers are developing movable `scrolls' to change the intake parameters
on their turbos.

(wow, mom, a one-sentence posting.  Oops, I just blew it)
-dave
--
David Hsu	Communication & Signal Processing Lab, EE Department
<disclaimer>	University of Maryland,  College Park, MD 20742

"They were the elite, the vanguard of progress.  They would take mankind to
the heights...and perhaps beyond."
			-Arthur C. Clarke, Childhood's End

svirsky@ttidcb.UUCP (William Svirsky) (02/13/86)

In article <511@imsvax.UUCP> ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) writes:

>The turbocharger, despite any increase in backpressure it may cause, is
>still the most efficient kind of supercharger.  The only reason anyone
>uses belt-driven superchargers at all has to do with the requirements of
>drag-racing, in which split seconds mean winning or losing....

>........  Turbochargers are the superior technology for any other application
>requiring monstrous amounts of power,

Some companies, specifically Lancia, Toyota, and Volkswagen, are
looking into belt-driven superchargers for production cars.
VW has already installed one on a Europe-only Polo Coupe GT G40.  The
belt-driven supercharger boosts the 1.3 liter four cylinders' output from 55
hp to 115 hp.  VW claims it does 0-62 in 9 seconds and top speed
is 120 mph.  The type of belt-driven supercharger they are using produces
higher efficiency, lower noise, and is smoother running - 3
of big problems with belt-driven superchargers.  The article I read
stated early that another problem with belt-driven superchargers was
that they gulped fuel, but then never mentioned any mileage
statistics for the VW Polo.

--
Bill Svirsky
Citicorp/TTI

cuda@ihuxf.UUCP (Mike Nelson) (02/14/86)

> The turbocharger, despite any increase in backpressure it may cause, is
> still the most efficient kind of supercharger.  The only reason anyone
> uses belt-driven superchargers at all has to do with the requirements of
> drag-racing, in which split seconds mean winning or losing.  This is the
> one situation in which the turbocharger doesn't quite get it, due to the
> fact that it only comes on at (relatively) higher rpms, whereas the boast
> from the belt-driven supercharger is there from jump.  Drag-racer motors
> still lose more power from driving the belt-driven supercharger than they
> would from driving a turbo but, all things considered, it doesn't matter
> to them.  Turbochargers are the superior technology for any other application
> requiring monstrous amounts of power, although most hot-rodders still prefer
> more ordinary technology.

While the comment of instant boost for superchargers in drag racing is in all
practical purposes correct, the most important reason for using a supercharger
over turbo is the amount of horse power the units can add.  When was the
last time you saw a V-8 (approx 600) cubes producing 2800 HP with turbos?
It is very easy to change the gearing on a supercharger to control the boost.
How could a turbo user modify the amount of boost in a few minutes?  When
the superior technology for turbos causes their net gain in HP to be greater
than can be gained by superchargers then you can be sure more drag racers
will be using them.  I think the writer of the referenced note might be
confusing the need for monstrous amounts of power with reliability and
versitility where turbos are superior.

Mike Nelson
ihuxf!cuda

king@kestrel.ARPA (Dick King) (02/20/86)

   From: cuda@ihuxf.UUCP (Mike Nelson)
   Newsgroups: net.auto
   Date: 14 Feb 86 13:38:15 GMT

   While the comment of instant boost for superchargers in drag racing
	is in all
   practical purposes correct, the most important reason for using a
	supercharger
   over turbo is the amount of horse power the units can add.  When was the
   last time you saw a V-8 (approx 600) cubes producing 2800 HP with turbos?
   It is very easy to change the gearing on a supercharger to control
	the boost.
   How could a turbo user modify the amount of boost in a few minutes?

Well, turbos have "dump servos" or "waste gates" that bypass a
proportion of the exhaust past the turbine that depends on the
compressor's output pressure.  Couldn't the setpoint of the waste gate
be changed much more easily than changing the gear of a supercharger?
Seems to me that it could be changed while the car was running,
continuously variable, by a choke-knob-like adjuster!

-dick

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (Davidsen) (02/20/86)

In article <511@imsvax.UUCP> ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) writes:

>The turbocharger, despite any increase in backpressure it may cause, is
>still the most efficient kind of supercharger.  The only reason anyone
>uses belt-driven superchargers at all has to do with the requirements of
>drag-racing, in which split seconds mean winning or losing.

This is not the complete truth... The area in which positive displacement
superchargers (like GMC or Paxton) shine is low rpm boost and throttle
response. Since the boost is imediate and volume is proportional to the
engine rpm, there is a big gain under those conditions.

Some applications in which superchargers are preferred:
  1) large trucks and heavy machinery such as road graders.
  2) off road applications (4x4's)
  3) towing vehicles

For a given engine, adding a turbocharger feels somewhat like adding a
hotter cam; not much change at low rpm, power building through the
midrange, tons of power at the top end. A supercharger feels more like a
bore and stroke job; just more power everywhere. Having driven both, I
like turbos better on small engines and light cars which encourage sporty
driving, and superchargers on heavier vehicles and all my 4x4's.

Note that I have not quoted or disagreed with the balance of the original
posting, there is no need to repeat those points if you disagree.
--
	-bill davidsen

	seismo!rochester!steinmetz!--\
       /                               \
ihnp4!              unirot ------------->---> crdos1!davidsen
       \                               /
        chinet! ---------------------/        (davidsen@ge-crd.ARPA)

"It seemed like a good idea at the time..."

tohaapanen@watrose.UUCP (Tom Haapanen) (02/22/86)

In article <5004@kestrel.ARPA> king@kestrel.ARPA (Dick King) writes:

>>  It is very easy to change the gearing on a supercharger to control
>>  the boost.
>>  How could a turbo user modify the amount of boost in a few minutes?
>
>Well, turbos have "dump servos" or "waste gates" that bypass a
>proportion of the exhaust past the turbine that depends on the
>compressor's output pressure.  Couldn't the setpoint of the waste gate
>be changed much more easily than changing the gear of a supercharger?
>Seems to me that it could be changed while the car was running,
>continuously variable, by a choke-knob-like adjuster!

Dick is right; this is in fact what practically all turbo'd race cars
have.  (At least WEC, IMSA, F1 and WRC).  During qualifying, the
driver 'cranks up the boost' to provide better lap times; during the
race he'll keep it at a lower boost to conserve the engine and
gasoline (critical in WEC and F1), and turn it up for passing other
cars when necessary.

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watrose!haapanen
I'm all lost in the Supermarket
I can no longer shop happily
I came in here for that special offer
Guaranteed personality				 (c) The Clash, 1979

jon@msunix.UUCP (Jonathan Hue) (02/24/86)

In article <2802@ihuxf.UUCP>, cuda@ihuxf.UUCP (Mike Nelson) writes:

> While the comment of instant boost for superchargers in drag racing is in all
> practical purposes correct, the most important reason for using a supercharger
> over turbo is the amount of horse power the units can add.  When was the
> last time you saw a V-8 (approx 600) cubes producing 2800 HP with turbos?
> It is very easy to change the gearing on a supercharger to control the boost.
> How could a turbo user modify the amount of boost in a few minutes?  When
> the superior technology for turbos causes their net gain in HP to be greater
> than can be gained by superchargers then you can be sure more drag racers
> will be using them.  I think the writer of the referenced note might be
> confusing the need for monstrous amounts of power with reliability and
> versitility where turbos are superior.

I don't agree.  The BMW 1.5-liter turbocharged engine used in the Brabham
Formula 1 car produces 1150hp during qualifying, which is 12.78hp/inch^3, and it
can hold together for a few laps while it's doing that.  In a 90 minute race,
the engine produces 818hp (9.62hp/inch^3) and, well, sometimes will last the
whole race.  TAG-Porsche Formula 1 engines produce more power in race
configuration and are more reliable.  I think 818hp from 1.5 liters for 90
minutes of acceleration, braking, and a couple thousand shifts is a heck
of a lot more impressive than 2800hp from a blown, Keith Black Chrysler Hemi
engine burning nitromethane (nitromethanol?) and methanol which lasts six
seconds, whereupon it needs a rebuild.

Bitchin' Camaro!		Jonathan Hue
Bitchin' Camaro!		LMSC-Mechanisms & Servos
Tire Tracks Across your Lawn!
(c) The Dead Milkmen, 1985	{amdcad!cae780,sun!sunncal}!leadsv!msunix!jon

tohaapanen@watrose.UUCP (Tom Haapanen) (03/03/86)

davidsen@kbsvax.UUCP (Davidsen) writes:

>Some applications in which superchargers are preferred:
>  1) large trucks and heavy machinery such as road graders.
>  2) off road applications (4x4's)
>  3) towing vehicles
>
>For a given engine, adding a turbocharger feels somewhat like adding a
>hotter cam; not much change at low rpm, power building through the
>midrange, tons of power at the top end. A supercharger feels more like a
>bore and stroke job; just more power everywhere. Having driven both, I
>like turbos better on small engines and light cars which encourage sporty
>driving, and superchargers on heavier vehicles and all my 4x4's.

Now, I can't argue with a personal preference (or can I, Chuck? :-)
but having done lots of reading on the new Volkswagen G-supercharger
--- which has not yet made an appearance on this continent --- I'd
like add some information.

Indeed, a supercharger feels the same as a bore and stroke job, but so
does a 4-valve-per-cylinder head.  These are generally preferred for
predictability and low-end power; you can still have an excellent top
end with the correct head design, the right cam and the right ignition
setup.  For an extreme example, imagine that you're driving a Porsche
935 (known for turbo lag) around Watkins Glen.  You drive into a tight
right-hander, flooring the pedal so that the power will come on as you
exit the curve.  Now, if you misjudge your timing, the turbo will come
on while you're still at the apex.  If you're not a professional
driver familiar with RWD Porsches, it's goodbye time when the
horsepower suddenly doubles in the curve.

VW has found that superchargers work better on 2-vpc heads, giving a
much more even power curve.  With 4-vpc heads, the power curve is
already much improved, and apparently a turbocharger is better suited
for such an engine than a supercharger.

The superchargers vary greatly in any case.  There are radical
differences between the vane supercharger, Roots blower and the
G-supercharger; each has different efficiency and power characteristics.

\tom haapanen						/ watrose!tohaapanen
university of waterloo			    ..!watmath <-- watmum!tohaapanen
							\ watlion!tohaapanen
I am one in ten, a number on a list
I am one in ten, even though I don't exist
No-body knows me, though I'm always there
A statistical reminder of a world that doesn't care           (c) UB40, 1981