[comp.sys.next] Need help creating my own shared libraries

karl@labyrinth.com (Karl Sierka) (06/11/91)

	Hello.

	I would like to set up MH-6.7 on my 2.1 NeXT to use Mach shared
libraries. This could save some disk space and even some memory. I looked
in the online docs and asked around, but no luck. The online docs mention
the bits laid out in a shared library, but they don't say how to create
one with UNIX commands. (I suspect it will entail creating programs that
do not use global variables, so that they are re-entrant, maybe some
compiler flags, and that some form of the ld command can be used to lay
out the bits in the file properly, I just don't have any examples.)

	If someone out there would be kind enough to send me some info on
this, so I can complete the changes, I would love to put my MH-6.7 patches
for NeXT shared libs out on the archives, and submit a note to the FAQ
people. (Thanks again Pascal, John and Erik!)

	MH-6.7 can be built to use shared libraries on Suns quite easily, so
there should not be too much work involved for the NeXT. (Unless I am
wrong about how strict the limits are for global variables and such. I
could not find any info on that, either. I am just extrapolating from bits
and pieces.)

	I have two more questions. Where can I get the source for a really
good email archive server? We would like to set one up on the rmNUG NeXTWorking
machine. What I mean by good, is that it is written well, and has the
functionality that allows it to split up, compress, uuencode, use different
return paths, auto-generate archive listings with checksums, etc.

	Also, is anyone out there using my CVS/RCS patches for the NeXT? I
have not heard any complaints from the few people I gave sets of patches
to, so please give me some feedback so I can put them on the archives.
			Thanks,
				Karl Sierka

		(Member of Rocky Mountain NeXT User's Group, rmNUG)
---
Karl Sierka     email - karl@labyrinth.com      phone - (303) 651-2582
Labyrinth Computer Services, 6258 Corinth, Longmont Colorado 80503
(-: Replies can have NeXT attachments in them. :-)

--
---

kari@finn (Kari Karhi) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun11.151104.7620@colorado.edu> karl@labyrinth.com (Karl
Sierka) writes:

> 	Hello.
>
> 	I would like to set up MH-6.7 on my 2.1 NeXT to use Mach shared
> libraries. This could save some disk space and even some memory. I looked

I looked into this when I was creating the libraries for co-Xist.  The word
from NeXT was that they do NOT want anyone creating shared libraries as they do
not like the way it works now.  They have it for their own use only.  Maybe in
release 3.0 they will come out with a new format.  Anyone at NeXT who could
confirm this?  Anyway you presumably would use the loader -fvmlib option, which
is documented.  That, however is not enough and NeXT would not tell me more.

	Kari Karhi
	Pencom Software
	(512)343-1111
	pensoft!kari@cs.utexas.edu