[comp.sys.next] DEATH to FIDONET

In article <HARDY.91Jun10203122@golem.ps.uci.edu>
	hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) writes:
>A number of items posted a few days ago reappeared today with some
>FidoNet return path.  Is this duplication really necessary?

Of course not...  This is one of the things that happens when
bozos attempt to gateway usenet to fundamentally incompatible
services.

THE "RESPONSIBLE" PERSON IS don@eastern.com
LET HIM KNOW HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT HIS "ANIMAL" RUNNING AROUND LOOSE
IF ENOUGH PEOPLE COMPLAIN HE MIGHT TAKE NOTICE

>What  is this "doggone" FidoNet?

It's a store-and-forward "network" of mostly PeeCees running
something less sophisticated than UUCP over cheezier modems.
It's only real claim to fame is that it's larger than the self-
important BITNET/NETNORTH/EARN contingent... and that it was (for
a while) the only means for black universities in South Africa to
communicate with the rest of the world.  Lots of politics and
infighting.  Many BBSes frequented by "the dregs of electronic
society" participate; I guess no one else will have them.  :-)

					-=EPS=-

tomt%gtenext1.uucp@gte.com (Tom Tucker) (06/13/91)

In article <1699@toaster.SFSU.EDU> eps@toaster.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:
> In article <HARDY.91Jun10203122@golem.ps.uci.edu>
> 	hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) writes:
> >A number of items posted a few days ago reappeared today with some
> >FidoNet return path.  Is this duplication really necessary?
>
> Of course not...  This is one of the things that happens when
> bozos attempt to gateway usenet to fundamentally incompatible
> services.
>
> THE "RESPONSIBLE" PERSON IS don@eastern.com
> LET HIM KNOW HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT HIS "ANIMAL" RUNNING AROUND LOOSE
> IF ENOUGH PEOPLE COMPLAIN HE MIGHT TAKE NOTICE
>
> >What  is this "doggone" FidoNet?
>
> It's a store-and-forward "network" of mostly PeeCees running
> something less sophisticated than UUCP over cheezier modems.
> It's only real claim to fame is that it's larger than the self-
> important BITNET/NETNORTH/EARN contingent... and that it was (for
> a while) the only means for black universities in South Africa to
> communicate with the rest of the world.  Lots of politics and
> infighting.  Many BBSes frequented by "the dregs of electronic
> society" participate; I guess no one else will have them.  :-)
>
> 					-=EPS=-

How do you really feel?

Tom Tucker				Systems Analyst, Systems Architecture
GTE Directories Corp.			tomt%gtenext1@gte.com
GTE Place				(NeXTMail Spoken here)
West Airfield Drive, P.O. Box 619810	Voice:	(214) 453-7033
D/FW Airport, TX  75261-9810		FAX:	(214) 453-7573