[net.auto] Turbo wastegate control from inside car

jfp@unccvax.UUCP (James Price) (03/03/86)

>    From: cuda@ihuxf.UUCP (Mike Nelson)
>
> Well, turbos have "dump servos" or "waste gates" that bypass a
> proportion of the exhaust past the turbine that depends on the
> compressor's output pressure.  Couldn't the setpoint of the waste gate
> be changed much more easily than changing the gear of a supercharger?
> Seems to me that it could be changed while the car was running,
> continuously variable, by a choke-knob-like adjuster!

     The Mustang SVO provides not only the setpoint of the wastegate
through EEC-IV, but it also provides selectable maximum boost from
inside the car.  Why anyone would want a choke-knob on the dash to
force the wastegate shut is beyond me.....

James Price
DataSpan, Inc