[comp.sys.next] NeXT and Mac Classic serial connection

barger@havarti.cs.wisc.edu (Victor Barger) (06/12/91)

I would like to connect a Macintosh Classic to a NeXTstation via the
serial ports.  Can anyone tell me what cable I should use and where I
might get it?  (I'm aware of MacLink, but I'm not interested in
software).

--
---
Victor Barger (barger@cs.wisc.edu)

robertw@informix.com (Robert Weinberg) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun11.204707.18613@spool.cs.wisc.edu> barger@havarti.cs.wisc.edu (Victor Barger) writes:
>I would like to connect a Macintosh Classic to a NeXTstation via the
>serial ports.  Can anyone tell me what cable I should use and where I
>might get it?  (I'm aware of MacLink, but I'm not interested in
>software).

It worked just fine for me to use a standard LocalTalk (ie Macintosh to
LaserWriter) cable to connect a Cube to a Mac IIcx, so I presume that
would work for you. I could transfer files via Kermit with no problem
this way. Any Macintosh dealer will have such a cable.
--
* Rob Weinberg, graphics & publishing ***** Does a falling tree make a sound *
*  {uunet,pyramid}!infmx!robertw      *****   if  1: no one hears it         *

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (06/13/91)

But note that the serial ports on the cube are different from the ones
on the NeXTStation!  See ZS man-pages for connections-corrections.

Greetings,
Hardy
Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy);  Department of Physics, University of California
Irvine CA 92717; (714) 856 5543; hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu or MMAYER@UCI.BITNET