[comp.sys.next] How long does it take to get Improv?

tjb@IceCube.unh.edu (Thomas J. Baker) (06/09/91)

I was wondering how long it took most people to get their copy of Improv and
assorted other goodies after they sent in the registration card?  They wouldn't
let me phone in my registration, I had to send it in.  That was that last week
in April.  The card said I had until the end of April to get it in so I know
I'm eligible.  This wait-for-several-months-for-anything-from-NeXT is getting
REALLY OLD.  Why can't they at least send a little postcard saying 'We got your
registration and are processing it'?   Or a phone call?

Thanks for lending a sympathetic ear...

tjb
| Thomas Baker                           Voice: (603) 743-4987      |
| P.O. Box 213                                                      |
| Durham, NH 03824           Internet/NeXTmail: tjb@IceCube.unh.edu |

mms@sonia.math.ucla.edu (Murray Schacher) (06/10/91)

In article <1991Jun8.225747.439@IceCube.unh.edu> tjb@IceCube.unh.edu writes:

>I was wondering how long it took most people to get their copy of Improv and
>assorted other goodies after they sent in the registration card?  They wouldn't
>let me phone in my registration, I had to send it in.  That was that last week
>in April.  The card said I had until the end of April to get it in so I know
>I'm eligible.  This wait-for-several-months-for-anything-from-NeXT is getting
>REALLY OLD.  Why can't they at least send a little postcard saying 'We got your
>registration and are processing it'?   Or a phone call?

Same complaint, under almost exactly the same conditions.  The
registration card went in at the end of April.  No indication that it
was received, when I might get Improv, or even if NeXt ever intends to
send it.

Murray Schacher (213) 825-1087
UCLA-Mathnet;  6129 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA  90024-1555
UUCP....!{rutgers,ucbvax,uunet,{hao!cepu!ucla-cs}}!math.ucla.edu!mms
INTERNET: mms@math.ucla.edu            BITNET: mms%math.ucla.edu@INTERBIT

judd@marlin.NOSC.MIL (Randall R. Judd) (06/10/91)

In article <1991Jun9.191728.21969@math.ucla.edu>, mms@sonia.math.ucla.edu (Murray Schacher) writes:
> In article <1991Jun8.225747.439@IceCube.unh.edu> tjb@IceCube.unh.edu writes:
> >
> >I was wondering how long it took most people to get their copy of Improv and
> >assorted other goodies after they sent in the registration card?  They wouldn't
> >let me phone in my registration, I had to send it in.  That was that last week
> >in April.  The card said I had until the end of April to get it in so I know
> >I'm eligible.  This wait-for-several-months-for-anything-from-NeXT is getting
> >REALLY OLD.  Why can't they at least send a little postcard saying 'We got your
> >registration and are processing it'?   Or a phone call?
>
> Same complaint, under almost exactly the same conditions.  The
> registration card went in at the end of April.  No indication that it
> was received, when I might get Improv, or even if NeXt ever intends to
> send it.

I sent in my registration in February, and I still havn't seen Improv.  I was
gone for March and April, and expected it to be here when I got back so I
called to check when it wasn't here when I returned home.  They indicated about
two more weeks the last time I called, about a week ago.  I don't place much
faith in this since they indicated about two more weeks when I called three
weeks ago, and also when I called four weeks ago.  They CAN tell you if
you have been properly registered, so I would suggest you call there 800
number and check if you have any doubts.

I also have recieved no official indication from NeXT on my registration.
This is a VERY IRRITATING policy of NeXT.  They did not even send me an
order confirmation when I bought my upgrade, and in that case I sent them
a $1600 cashiers check, and didn't see the product for 4 months. I would
very much like to order up version 2.1 of the operating system, and the
Tech Docs, but I can't plan on being home for the next 6 months or so to
wait for them to suddenly show up on my doorstep.

						 Randy

t68@nikhefh.nikhef.nl (Jos Vermaseren) (06/10/91)

In article <1991Jun8.225747.439@IceCube.unh.edu>, tjb@IceCube.unh.edu (Thomas J. Baker) writes:

> I was wondering how long it took most people to get their copy of Improv and
> assorted other goodies after they sent in the registration card?  They wouldn't
> let me phone in my registration, I had to send it in.  That was that last week
> in April.  The card said I had until the end of April to get it in so I know
> I'm eligible.  This wait-for-several-months-for-anything-from-NeXT is getting
> REALLY OLD.  Why can't they at least send a little postcard saying 'We got your
> registration and are processing it'?   Or a phone call?

I had my registration faxed in in the middle of februari and never got a word
from NeXT. My problem is that I cannot even call them, because at the moment
I am in Europe (and took the computer along) and from here I cannot call
any 800 numbers. I wonder: Is it company policy to first try to get people
to register as quickly as possible and then give them all the promised goodies
as late as possible? I never even got a reply to the fax with the registration
card. Am I registered properly (you never know with faxes)?
Can anyone from NeXT comment? At least let us know why it takes this much
time (as they say: understanding is forgiving....(maybe :-) )).

Jos Vermaseren

pclark@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Peter Clark) (06/10/91)

I called next telebusiness last week with exactly the same complaint
(registered in late march, no Improv yet...). They told me that they'd had
some problems (getting enough copies of Improv from Lotus, I think), and they
were planning a mass mailing later (within two weeks, naturally). At least
they had an explanation.

	Pete C

tempest@walleye.uucp (Kenneth K.F. Lui) (06/11/91)

I ordered my '040 upgrade in November '90, received it March '91,
and received Improv around early May or late April (I can't
remember when I received it because the box didn't have a date on
it).  I sent in all cards received with my '040 upgrade the day
after receipt and the old '030 board within a week of that.

I'm just waiting for CL and Mathematica.

Ken
tempest@ecst.csuchico.edu, tempest@walleye.ecst.csuchico.edu,|Kenneth K.F. Lui|
tempest@sutro.sfsu.edu, tempest@wet.UUCP                     |________________|

rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us (Bob Peirce #305) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun9.191728.21969@math.ucla.edu> mms@math.ucla.edu (Murray Schacher) writes:
>In article <1991Jun8.225747.439@IceCube.unh.edu> tjb@IceCube.unh.edu writes:
>>
>>I was wondering how long it took most people to get their copy of Improv and
>
>Same complaint, under almost exactly the same conditions.  The
>registration card went in at the end of April.  No indication that it

Ha!  I got my NeXT (and ordered the upgrade) in December and I am still
waiting.  Big deal.  I don't have a floppy drive to read it anyhow!
Since I have upgraded to the 68040 and 2.0 I am also waiting for the
upgrades to Mathematica, Lisp, Sybase, etc.  I plan to wait until
everything shows up, probably sometime in 1993, and then find somebody
who can copy it to an OD.  Maybe by then there will be a $200 floppy
drive I can buy.

--
Bob Peirce, Pittsburgh, PA        rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us         412-471-5320
venetia@investor.pgh.pa.us [NeXT Mail]     ...!uunet!pitt!investor!rbp [UUCP]

tomt%gtenext1.uucp@gte.com (Tom Tucker) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun11.024133.8939@ecst.csuchico.edu> tempest@walleye.uucp
(Kenneth K.F. Lui) writes:
> I ordered my '040 upgrade in November '90, received it March '91,
> and received Improv around early May or late April (I can't
> remember when I received it because the box didn't have a date on
> it).  I sent in all cards received with my '040 upgrade the day
> after receipt and the old '030 board within a week of that.
>
> I'm just waiting for CL and Mathematica.
>

> Ken

> tempest@ecst.csuchico.edu, tempest@walleye.ecst.csuchico.edu,|Kenneth K.F.
Lui|
> tempest@sutro.sfsu.edu, tempest@wet.UUCP
|________________|

My registration was 'entered' on May 14, I guess if I ever see anything, it'll
be next year? :-(

Tom Tucker				Systems Analyst, Systems Architecture

GTE Directories Corp.			tomt%gtenext1@gte.com
GTE Place				(NeXTMail Spoken here)
West Airfield Drive, P.O. Box 619810	Voice:	(214) 453-7033
D/FW Airport, TX  75261-9810		FAX:	(214) 453-7573

anderson@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.114629.21445@investor.pgh.pa.us> rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us (Bob Peirce #305) writes:

>Ha!  I got my NeXT (and ordered the upgrade) in December and I am still
>waiting.  Big deal.  I don't have a floppy drive to read it anyhow!
>Since I have upgraded to the 68040 and 2.0 I am also waiting for the
>upgrades to Mathematica, Lisp, Sybase, etc.  I plan to wait until
>everything shows up, probably sometime in 1993, and then find somebody
>who can copy it to an OD.  Maybe by then there will be a $200 floppy
>drive I can buy.

I bought my cube from BLand in January, upgraded at once
and sent in my card.  Improv and the goodie package arrived
in April.  Ditto on the floppy, though.

<> There is nothing permanent except change.
<> -- Heraclitus
--
Jess Anderson <> Madison Academic Computing Center <> University of Wisconsin
Internet: anderson@macc.wisc.edu <-best, UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson