[comp.sys.next] PC as file server or archive device

cclloyd@leland.Stanford.EDU (Charles Lloyd) (06/13/91)

I am in the process of buying a NeXT and currently own a DOS PC
with a 300 Meg tape backup (from Core for $250, new).  Is there
any way to hook the NeXT to my PC and use the PC as an archiving
device?  (Please comment on both hardware and software requirements.)

What about buying a large hard disk for my PC and using it as a
file server for the NeXT (single user).  I'm asking these questions
because I wouldn't mind utilizing my boat-anchor PC and because
PC peripherals are soooo cheap compared to NeXT stuff.  (Most used
NeXT's out there have less than my minimum hard disk requirements.)

In article <1991Jun12.201924.1685@leland.Stanford.EDU>
	cclloyd@leland.Stanford.EDU (Charles Lloyd) writes:
>I am in the process of buying a NeXT and currently own a DOS PC
>with a 300 Meg tape backup (from Core for $250, new).  Is there
>any way to hook the NeXT to my PC and use the PC as an archiving
>device?  (Please comment on both hardware and software requirements.)

Hardware: get an Ethernet card for your PC.  Lots of choices here,
but ideally find one that's supported by FTP Software's packet
drivers.  There is an NDIS-to-Packet Driver converter, but that's
just one more complication best avoided.

Software: again, lots of choices here.  (Are you sure you wouldn't
be happier with UNIX on your PC?  :-)  ).  Direct access to the
tape drive probably requires writing some code; one could
presumably extend something like KA9Q NOS to do it.  Ask
someplace like comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc, someone may already
have done it.  Incidentally, that newsgroup (and comp.dcom.lans)
will be very useful to you!  Check 'em out...

>What about buying a large hard disk for my PC and using it as a
>file server for the NeXT (single user).

There's a free NFS server for MS-DOS called SOSS that should do
this.

"where to find stuff" (by anonymous FTP)

SOSS: sun.soe.clarkson.edu
	pub/ka9q/soss.zoo
	pub/ka9q/sossexe.zoo (same as above, but w/o sources)
	pub/ka9q/sossread.me <-- you probably want this first!

Packet Drivers: sun.soe.clarkson.edu
	pub/ka9q/drivers.zip [binaries and documentation]
	pub/ka9q/driverss.zip [same as above, plus sources]
	  Mailing list: drivers-request@sun.soe.clarkson.edu
	  Info: nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu (Russ Nelson)

NDIS-to-Packet Driver converter: vax.ftp.com
	pub/packet.driver/pubdom/ndis/dis_pkt.asm [source]
	pub/packet.driver/pubdom/ndis/dis_pkt.dos [binary]
	  Info: jbvb@ftp.com (James Van Bokkelen)

KA9Q NOS: thumper.bellcore.com
	pub/ka9q/nos/net.exe ["generic" executable]
	pub/ka9q/nos/src????.zip (varies) [sources!]
	pub/ka9q/nos/asmobj.zip [if you only have a C compiler]
	  Mailing list: tcp-group-request@ucsd.edu

Note that there are commercial alternatives ($$$) if you
can't stomach a little effort.  :-)

					-=EPS=-