[comp.sys.next] NeXT prototype with Motorola 40mhz 88110 RISC CPU!

gillham@edmund.cs.andrews.edu (Andrew Gillham) (06/12/91)

I just got the latest INFOWORLD and it had an article on a NeXT prototype
machine based on the Motorola 88110 RISC chip.  Claims it will do 40-50
MIPS or so and will cost about the same as the current 68040 machine.
If NeXT is going to really introduce it, it would ship in late '91 or
early '92.

I can type in the article if anyone is interested.  (it's at work right now)

I wonder if anyone out there has heard anything about this?
Supposedly it simply requires a recompile of a current NeXT app to get it
to run on the 88110.  40-50 MIPS for only $3500 (educational) would be
incredible!  (even for $5000 it would be awesome!)

Thoughts?  (or am I bringing up old news?)

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham
Andrews University
(gillham@andrews.edu)

smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu (Dr. William V. Smith) (06/12/91)

Well, I might add that Moto has made it *very* attractive to NeXT
to go with the 88110.  They want NeXT to buy into the 88k line
bad, especially since HP decided on the PA route.
  However, something may be fishy with the infoworld article.
The Mips number is a bit low I think.  Unless NeXT put on the
brakes to keep costs down somewhere.  There was some question about
putting in on board color support instead of (as a lower cost
option) the ND board for cubes.
Haven't heard anything about that yet.  My NeXT person would not
tell me anything about that.
It would be interesting to know what the internal email message said
regarding the infoworld article.
-Bill
--
EMail:  smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu  or  uunet!hamblin.math.byu.edu!smithw
SMail:          Math Dept. -- 314 TMCB; BYU; Provo, UT 84602 (USA)

mcgredo@prism.cs.orst.edu (Don McGregor) (06/12/91)

gillham@edmund.cs.andrews.edu (Andrew Gillham) writes:

>I just got the latest INFOWORLD and it had an article on a NeXT prototype
>machine based on the Motorola 88110 RISC chip.

   When does Moto expect to start shipping the chips?

Don McGregor             | "I..I blame society.  Society made me
mcgredo@prism.cs.orst.edu|  what I am."

torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) (06/13/91)

smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu (Dr. William V. Smith) writes:

>  However, something may be fishy with the infoworld article.
>The Mips number is a bit low I think.  Unless NeXT put on the
>brakes to keep costs down somewhere.  There was some question about
>putting in on board color support instead of (as a lower cost
>option) the ND board for cubes.

  Yes, I heard the same rumour [about six months ago], that
they would effectively incorporate NeXT Dimension's capabilities
onto the motherboard of their 88110 machines [by trashing Intel's
860 and going with the 96002].

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
"If it weren't for your gumboots, where would you be?   You'd be in the
hospital, or in-firm-ary..."  F. Dagg

mfriedel@slate.mines.colorado.edu (Friedel Michael) (06/13/91)

In article <SMITHW.91Jun12071931@hamblin.hamblin.math.byu.edu> smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu (Dr. William V. Smith) writes:
>Well, I might add that Moto has made it *very* attractive to NeXT
>to go with the 88110.  They want NeXT to buy into the 88k line
>bad, especially since HP decided on the PA route.
>  However, something may be fishy with the infoworld article.
>The Mips number is a bit low I think.  Unless NeXT put on the
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I heard from someone at NeXT that the machine is going to be in the order
of 100 MIPS, and that it is going to be a multiprocessor environement.
They where talking about beating the SNAKE.

Mike

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
No user serviceable part inside. Warranty void if opened

thomsen@spf.trw.com (Mark R. Thomsen) (06/13/91)

Andrew Gillham writes

  I just got the latest INFOWORLD and it had an article on a NeXT prototype
  machine based on the Motorola 88110 RISC chip.  Claims it will do 40-50
  MIPS or so and will cost about the same as the current 68040 machine.
  If NeXT is going to really introduce it, it would ship in late '91 or
  early '92.

I would anticipate that NeXT has something going with the 88000 line
in an experimental stage, as they should with any potential future
processor paths. One of the advantages of that factory investment is
how fast they can turn a prototype design into a prototype board.

Note that NeXT ported Mach to the i860 and has some expertise hired
from CMU (Avadis Tevanian). I would speculate that a multiprocessor
board that fits in another NeXTbus slot would be a possibility, using
Mach as the OS layer. I think the i860 Mach is not in the CMU release
and is unique (proprietary?) to NeXT.

The InfoWorld speculation on the NeXTdimension makes no sense - the
i860 is not just a data processor but a data mover ... it's bandwidth
is a major reason to use it in a graphics board. The data bandwidth of
the i860 peaks at 16 bytes x clock rate. The data bandwidth of the 88K
peaks at 4 bytes x clock rate.

An 88K CPU board might be interesting but doubtful in the near term -
the 88K is so different from the 68K that it would cause severe
breakage. (The 88K design team was distinct, different from the 68K
team). Howsoever, it may be inevitable in the long term since a) NeXT
needs a RISC growth path, b) NeXT can get a good deal given how few
88Ks there are relative to MIPS and SPARCs, and c) it is a righteous
processor.

The 96002 upgrade from the 56001 is so natural that I have been
assuming this would happen. It is natural. Just a matter of when.

My 2 cents

Mark R. Thomsen

ssr@stokes.Princeton.EDU (Steve S. Roy) (06/13/91)

In article <2856A9FB.41AD@deneva.sdd.trw.com> thomsen@spf.trw.com (Mark R. Thomsen) writes:
>Andrew Gillham writes
>
>The InfoWorld speculation on the NeXTdimension makes no sense - the
>i860 is not just a data processor but a data mover ... it's bandwidth
>is a major reason to use it in a graphics board. The data bandwidth of
>the i860 peaks at 16 bytes x clock rate. The data bandwidth of the 88K
>peaks at 4 bytes x clock rate.
>

>Mark R. Thomsen

This is not really true of the i860.  It can talk to it's tiny little
8kb on-chip cache at 16 bytes per clock, but the current i860's can
talk to the outside world at only 4bytes per.  Supposedly the next
generation of them will double that rate, but it still isn't great.

More generally, current high density ram chips will have difficulty
keeping up with anything that tries to run at the sorts of speeds
tossed around by the new RISC speed demons.  Anything that claims
better than 20MIP performance or so is going to be heavily cache
dependant.

Steve Roy