[comp.sys.next] NeXT support

declan@portia.stanford.edu (Declan McCullagh) (08/16/90)

In an earlier message, Ivo Welch (ivo@next.agsm.ucla.edu) writes...

>I have zero connections and zero company support, too. However, I am
>very pleased with Next's support, particularly the support that I can
>get by asking questions here about the NeXT. If someone else doesn't
>answer first, it often happens that some of NeXT's top technical
>people answer questions. I don't know about the official support,
>though...

I, too, have been pleasantly suprised at the amount of grass-roots
support the NeXT has around the country.  I've also received a good
amount of help from NeXT Technical Support on various matters,
including a particularly nasty serial port problem which I'm still not
sure if I've solved or not...  The turnaround time on technical
questions is a bit longer than Apple, though - Apple DTS almost always
replies in 24 hours, while NeXT seems to take about three days or so.

If you're working on a large application yourself, I'd advise you to
become a registered developer.  In addition to developer prices on
systems, you can send mail to NeXT DTS and ask them questions and get
on the mailing list for product information and manual updates, etc.

-Declan

Olympic Technologies / Registered NeXT Developers \ declan@portia.stanford.edu

goose@surf.sics.bu.oz (Ralph Schwarten) (08/18/90)

Just a short note to thank the guys at NeXT (who frequent this group),
for the support they gave me in regards to some questions I had.
Since my first posting, none other than 4 NeXT employees mailed me
offering advice !.

Thanks guys,
Excellent stuff !!

PS. Special thanks to John the brochures and other goodies !

Ralph Schwarten
Dept. Computing And Information Technology
Bond University
Gold Coast
Queensland
Australia

e-mail:	goose@hal.nmg.bu.oz.au

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (06/07/91)

I was told today by NeXT Inc. that will only support people that bought
machines through a program called NeXTedge.  The service is $2500 per
year.  This is the only way you can get tech support unless some kind
sole at one of their retail outlets wants to help you.

is an unacceptable and expensive alternative (no alternative) to people
that went out on a limb and bought your machine in the first place.
People that bought from B'land through no fault of their own have been
cut off from tech support channels.  If you want people to buy the
machine $2500 for tech support is not an option.  The campus rep. is not
always an option, because to have a question answered a week after you ask
is probably too long.

            Kent - A happy NeXT user until I need technical support.
--
/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */

UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) (06/13/91)

>I was told today by NeXT Inc. that will only support people that bought
>machines through a program called NeXTedge.  The service is $2500 per
>year.  This is the only way you can get tech support unless some kind
>sole at one of their retail outlets wants to help you.

While I can easily appreciate your unhappiness with this approach, there
it one important point to make, I think...

Most people don't realize how *small* NeXT is.  Only a few hundred employees,
total, including everybody.  I think NeXT has fewer employees than Apple
and IBM might layoff in a day.

Do you want them answering the phone all day, or creating better systems?

I know it's hard, but you can get used to the one week it takes for your
sales rep to get the answer for you, I guess.  If you can't, you'll have
to go with some other vendor. (At least til NeXT changes their system)

lee