[comp.sys.next] Improv API

citdem@UAVAX0.CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU (05/29/91)

An article in the May 27th issue of _COMPUTERWORLD_ states that Lotus is
shipping its Improv Application Programming Interface (API) Toolkit at no
charge to Improv users.  Is anyone knowledgeable on this subject?  How does
one get the API?  What's in it?  (Maybe someone from Lotus can comment -
unofficially of course.)

I know about the API on the archive.  However, is it the "gold" version?
The last time I looked, it was not supported by Lotus - so perhaps this is
an early or beta release???  What's the story?

D. McCollam  (citdem@uavax0.ccit.arizona.edu - ASCII responses only, please.)

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (05/30/91)

In article <00949545.0B8C4040@UAVAX0.CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU> citdem@UAVAX0.CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU writes:

   An article in the May 27th issue of _COMPUTERWORLD_ states that Lotus is
   shipping its Improv Application Programming Interface (API) Toolkit at no
   charge to Improv users.  Is anyone knowledgeable on this subject?  How does
   one get the API?  What's in it?  (Maybe someone from Lotus can comment -
   unofficially of course.)
You phone Lotus and ask for it -- at one of the numbers listed in the
Improv manuals (don't remember which).  The diskettes came last week
(about 4 weeks after I phoned).
   I know about the API on the archive.  However, is it the "gold" version?
   The last time I looked, it was not supported by Lotus - so perhaps this is
   an early or beta release???  What's the story?
The two are identical -- and as far as I can tell not completely
flawless (I keep getting erro messages occasionally).
Since I don't intend to use Improve very much, I did not try to find
out more about the Examples included.
The diskettes are not supported either.

Greetings,
Hardy
			  -------****-------
Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy);  Department of Physics, University of California
Irvine CA 92717; (714) 856 5543; hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu or MMAYER@UCI.BITNET

citdem@UAVAX0.CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU (05/30/91)

Mike Morton sent e-mail suggesting I call Lotus at 800 345-1043 and request
a (free) copy of the Improv API.  I have done so.  Interested folks might
want to do as Mike suggests.  Thanks, Mike!

D. McCollam  (citdem@uavax0.ccit.arizona.edu - ASCII format only, please.)

jeffa@janderholm.lotus.com (Jeff Anderholm) (05/31/91)

In article <00949545.0B8C4040@UAVAX0.CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU>
citdem@UAVAX0.CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU writes:
> An article in the May 27th issue of _COMPUTERWORLD_ states that Lotus is
> shipping its Improv Application Programming Interface (API) Toolkit at no
> charge to Improv users.  Is anyone knowledgeable on this subject?  How does
> one get the API?  What's in it?  (Maybe someone from Lotus can comment -
> unofficially of course.)
>
> I know about the API on the archive.  However, is it the "gold" version?
> The last time I looked, it was not supported by Lotus - so perhaps this is
> an early or beta release???  What's the story?
>
> D. McCollam  (citdem@uavax0.ccit.arizona.edu - ASCII responses only, please.)

The version of the Improv API toolkit that is out on various servers (it's on a
server at Purdue, and other locations) is indeed the gold version.   This
contains online documentation, internal Improv function calls, two
implementations of the common API:  one for use by external apps and one for
use in code that can be dynamically linked into Improv, utility routines for
adding new menu items to Improv, and a set of examples.

We say that it is not officially supported...but it has been tested and is
already in use.

That's the official story....let me know what you do with it.

Jeff Anderholm
Lotus

drin@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Adrian Smith) (06/05/91)

citdem@UAVAX0.CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU writes:

> An article in the May 27th issue of _COMPUTERWORLD_ states that Lotus is
> shipping its Improv Application Programming Interface (API) Toolkit at no
> charge to Improv users.  Is anyone knowledgeable on this subject?  How does
> one get the API?  What's in it?  (Maybe someone from Lotus can comment -
> unofficially of course.)

Supposedly, a phone call to the Lotus support line (the card came with
Improv) will get you the API. Tell them you want the API and give them
your serial number. Should be all it takes...

-drin

Adrian Smith              drin@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca
Edmonton Remote Systems:  Serving Northern Alberta since 1982

jeffa@janderholm.lotus.com (Jeff Anderholm) (06/13/91)

In article <Nc7131w164w@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca> drin@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Adrian
Smith) writes:
> citdem@UAVAX0.CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU writes:
>
> > An article in the May 27th issue of _COMPUTERWORLD_ states that Lotus is
> > shipping its Improv Application Programming Interface (API) Toolkit at no
> > charge to Improv users.  Is anyone knowledgeable on this subject?  How does
> > one get the API?  What's in it?  (Maybe someone from Lotus can comment -
> > unofficially of course.)
> >

> Supposedly, a phone call to the Lotus support line (the card came with
> Improv) will get you the API. Tell them you want the API and give them
> your serial number. Should be all it takes...
>
> -drin
>
> Adrian Smith              drin@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca
> Edmonton Remote Systems:  Serving Northern Alberta since 1982

Actually you should call 1-800-343-5414 in the US.  In Canada, call
1-800-668-1509 (The Canadian office does not yet have the disk, but it's in
process).

Jeff Anderholm
Product Mgr, Improv