[comp.sys.next] Workspace Error

aquesada@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Ing. Antonio Quesada Duarte) (06/12/91)

Hi there!
I have the following problem:
When i login as root, as soon as the workspace appears on the screen, a warning window also appears saying as follows:

Workspace Error
Internal Error (signal 10) ocurred.
Try to save changes to files in other
applications before logging out.

And there is nothing i can do but pressing enter or the mouse button in order
to log out.
This problem only appears when i login as root. Normal accounts have no problem.
Does anybody en netland knows what the problem may be?

Thanks a Lot!

From Monterrey, Mexico:

Antonio Quesada-Duarte
(also:  thor@asgard.mty.itesm.mx    <--NeXT mail)

In article <3454@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx>
	aquesada@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Ing. Antonio Quesada Duarte) writes:
>Workspace Error
>Internal Error (signal 10) ocurred.

>This problem only appears when i login as root.
>Does anybody en netland knows what the problem may be?

I've seen this happen on NetBoot clients where the server's
/etc/exports file didn't permit root= access.  Note that
adding root= access may not be advisable for security
reasons.

					-=EPS=-

zack@magus.UUCP (Zacharias_Beckman) (06/13/91)

In article <1706@toaster.SFSU.EDU> eps@cs.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>In article <3454@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx>
>	aquesada@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Ing. Antonio Quesada Duarte) writes:
>>Workspace Error
>>Internal Error (signal 10) ocurred.
>
>>This problem only appears when i login as root.
>>Does anybody en netland knows what the problem may be?
>
>I've seen this happen on NetBoot clients where the server's
>/etc/exports file didn't permit root= access.  Note that
>adding root= access may not be advisable for security
>reasons.

This is a problem that we had on our system for a while.  There seems to be a
bug in the 2.1 Workspace.  Ultimately, we found that changing links such as
this:

	ln -s /Net/magus/LocalLibrary /LocalLibrary

To this:

	ln -s /private/Net/magus/LocalLibrary /LocalLibrary

Helped the situation immeasurably.  There are still a few strange things going
on though -- for instance, it sometimes takes a few minutes for the login
panel to appear after a boot.  I have reported this to bug_next@next.com, and
with any luck they are working on it...

--
Zacharias J. Beckman  |  To be "matter of fact" about the world is to
Lower Code Dweller    |  blunder into fantasy -- and dull fantasy at that,