[comp.sys.next] new machine

kuszewsk@euler.biology.yale.edu (John Kuszewski) (06/13/91)

Hi!

Does anyone have a feel for the 88110's double precision FP speed?  Will it be
tripled as well as the integer speed? (please?) If it is, we're talking about
some _serious_ processing--about the level of a Stellar GS2000 or SGI 4D/GTX
series.

This has got me thinking about building very fast coprocessor boards.  Does
anyone have any recommendations for the best way to get a solid background in
Mach?

Thanks.

---
John Kuszewski
kuszewsk@euler.biology.yale.edu

smb@data.com (Steven M. Boker) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.183133.28899@cs.yale.edu> kuszewsk@euler.biology.yale.edu writes:
>Hi!
>
>Does anyone have a feel for the 88110's double precision FP speed?  Will it be
>tripled as well as the integer speed? (please?) If it is, we're talking about
>some _serious_ processing--about the level of a Stellar GS2000 or SGI 4D/GTX
>series.

The 96002 is a floating point DSP.  Matrix multiplies that will make
your eyes swim

Steve

--
 #====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#
 #  Steve Boker           #             "Two's bifurcation                  #

kuszewsk@euler.biology.yale.edu (John Kuszewski) (06/13/91)

Steven M. Boker writes
> In article <1991Jun12.183133.28899@cs.yale.edu>
kuszewsk@euler.biology.yale.edu writes:
> >Hi!
> >
> >Does anyone have a feel for the 88110's double precision FP speed?  Will it
be
> >tripled as well as the integer speed? (please?) If it is, we're talking
about
> >some _serious_ processing--about the level of a Stellar GS2000 or SGI 4D/GTX
> >series.
> >

> The 96002 is a floating point DSP.  Matrix multiplies that will make
> your eyes swim
>
> Steve

The 96002 is a _single_precision_ floating point DSP that can do 50 MFLOPS at
33 MHz.  Double precision is required for some applications but cannot be done
with a 96002.  Plus, will it be available for running jobs?  The ND's 860
isn't, partially because it's alkready busy running the screen.  I'm wondering
what's actually available for user jobs.