[comp.sys.next] SIMM

martin@cube.han.de (Martin Ortlepp) (05/30/91)

I know that this question has been asked several times but I don't know how to
solve my problem:

I want to upgrade my cube to 16 mb. So I bought 8 SIMM's 70 ns 511000 (1x9).
Unfortunately the NeXT ROM Monitor said Exception #2 and that was all. I went
back to the store and took 8 SIMM's 60 ns (!) 41C1000 (1x9) and,yes, with the
same result.
Now, NeXT does not provide information about third party SIMM's, so I would
like to ask you guys to send me information about wich SIMM's will work
correctly.

-Martin
martin@cube.han.de

tgingric@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Tyler S Gingrich) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May29.211017.409@cube.han.de> martin@cube.han.de (Martin Ortlepp) writes:
>I know that this question has been asked several times but I don't know how to
>solve my problem:
>
>I want to upgrade my cube to 16 mb. So I bought 8 SIMM's 70 ns 511000 (1x9).
>Unfortunately the NeXT ROM Monitor said Exception #2 and that was all. I went
>back to the store and took 8 SIMM's 60 ns (!) 41C1000 (1x9) and,yes, with the
>same result.
>Now, NeXT does not provide information about third party SIMM's, so I would
>like to ask you guys to send me information about wich SIMM's will work
>correctly.

You either need 1x8 or 1x9 (if you want parity mem & ALL your memory is 1x9)
100ns low-profile SIMM strips.  I purchased 80ns SIMM strips from Chip Merchant
and I've had no problems.  If you're buying 1Mb strips, call MacConnection,
MacWarehouse, etc & order 80ns Macintosh strips -- they will cost around
$35-$45 each.

Information on upgrading your machine's memory can be found in NeXTAnswers
and in the comp.sys.next FAQ posting.  Both are available from the ftp file
servers at purdue (sonata.cc.purdue.edu) and oregon state (cs.orst.edu).

Tyler

cnh5730@maraba.tamu.edu (Charles Herrick) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May29.211017.409@cube.han.de> martin@cube.han.de (Martin Ortlepp) writes:
   my problem:

   I want to upgrade my cube to 16 mb. So I bought 8 SIMM's 70 ns 511000 (1x9).
   Unfortunately the NeXT ROM Monitor said Exception #2 and that was all.

The SIMMS RAM chips shipped in your machine are 1X8 (i.e. non-parity
RAM).
You can not mix (1X8) with (1X9).
The 70ns should work, but your RAM needs to be non-parity if you are
going to use the RAM NeXT put in your cube.

Bon chance,
-- Chuck

bartont@next2.msci.memst.edu (Tom Barton) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May29.211017.409@cube.han.de> martin@cube.han.de (Martin Ortlepp) writes:
>I want to upgrade my cube to 16 mb. So I bought 8 SIMM's 70 ns 511000 (1x9).
>Unfortunately the NeXT ROM Monitor said Exception #2 and that was all. I went
>back to the store and took 8 SIMM's 60 ns (!) 41C1000 (1x9) and,yes, with the
>same result.

We had the same problem. We also tried just 8 Meg of 80ns parity memory (no
non-parity memory installed at all) without success. We finally traded our
1x9's for someone else's 1x8's. BTW, the 1x9's worked fine in a Mac, so
the SIMMs weren't at fault.

--
Tom Barton			Internet: bartont@next2.msci.memst.edu
Department of Math Sciences	  Bitnet: bartont@memstvx1

martin@cube.han.de (Martin Ortlepp) (06/01/91)

In article <CNH5730.91May31102802@maraba.tamu.edu> cnh5730@maraba.tamu.edu
(Charles Herrick) writes:

> The SIMMS RAM chips shipped in your machine are 1X8 (i.e. non-parity
> RAM).
> You can not mix (1X8) with (1X9).
> The 70ns should work, but your RAM needs to be non-parity if you are
> going to use the RAM NeXT put in your cube.

Thanx for your answer. Hmm, in QA 620 it's said that one can mix parity and
non-parity RAM. The problem ist that a 040 machine with mixed parity and
non-parity won't boot automatically. However, my machine doesn't work with
these SIMM's. I'll try 1x8 Mac style SIMM's, let's hope that they'll work..

-Martin
martin@cube.han.de

SAMcinty@exua.exeter.ac.uk (Scott McIntyre) (06/02/91)

Since SIMMs from next here in the uk seem to be outrageously priced,
I am considering just getting the 12mb colour station and getting the
simms separately...is this wise?

NeXT sells 16megs for about 2000 pounds, which, for those of you
who watch the market, is about 3700 dollars.  Which, to me, seems
just a little bit silly.

I have seen 4mb simms, X9 (whatever that means) for about 137 pounds
in local trade mags...I know that they are probably even cheaper
in the USA..

So, if I want more memory on my NeXT colour station, how should I go
about doing it?  All advice please!

Scott
.

--
mcintyre@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk			Scott A. McIntyre
SAMcinty@uk.ac.exeter.exua			Cornwall House

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (06/04/91)

In article <CNH5730.91May31102802@maraba.tamu.edu> cnh5730@maraba.tamu.edu (Charles Herrick) writes:
>In article <1991May29.211017.409@cube.han.de> martin@cube.han.de (Martin Ortlepp) writes:
>   my problem:
>
>   I want to upgrade my cube to 16 mb. So I bought 8 SIMM's 70 ns 511000 (1x9).
>   Unfortunately the NeXT ROM Monitor said Exception #2 and that was all.
>
>The SIMMS RAM chips shipped in your machine are 1X8 (i.e. non-parity
>RAM).
>You can not mix (1X8) with (1X9).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wrong!
I have 8 meg 1X8 and 4 meg 1X9.  THe only requirement to mix 1X8 and 1X9
is that the 1X9 simms must be the first ones on the board and parity
checking must be disabled.

>The 70ns should work, but your RAM needs to be non-parity if you are
>going to use the RAM NeXT put in your cube.

I'm using IBM clone simms (1X9) and they do work.

--
/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun1.091010.509@cube.han.de> martin@cube.han.de (Martin Ortlepp) writes:
>In article <CNH5730.91May31102802@maraba.tamu.edu> cnh5730@maraba.tamu.edu
>(Charles Herrick) writes:
>
>> The SIMMS RAM chips shipped in your machine are 1X8 (i.e. non-parity
>> RAM).
>> You can not mix (1X8) with (1X9).
>> The 70ns should work, but your RAM needs to be non-parity if you are
>> going to use the RAM NeXT put in your cube.
>
>Thanx for your answer. Hmm, in QA 620 it's said that one can mix parity and
>non-parity RAM. The problem ist that a 040 machine with mixed parity and
>non-parity won't boot automatically. However, my machine doesn't work with
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is not true.  My '040 cube boots automatically from the scsi disk
w/out having to go to the ROM monitor.  The first time it did not.  But
after I disabled parity and rebooted it did.

Like I said before parity should go into the first banks with non parity
going in last.  This is the way I configured my machine and the only way
it would boot without problems.

>these SIMM's. I'll try 1x8 Mac style SIMM's, let's hope that they'll work..
               ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The 1X9 simms you have should work.  The only difference between a 1X9 and
1X8 is the extra chip the boards themselves are the same.

--

martin@cube.han.de (Martin Ortlepp) (06/09/91)

In article <28p402vw08py01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com> kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent
L Shephard) writes:
> >non-parity RAM. The problem ist that a 040 machine with mixed parity and
> >non-parity won't boot automatically. However, my machine doesn't work with
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> This is not true.  My '040 cube boots automatically from the scsi disk
> w/out having to go to the ROM monitor.  The first time it did not.  But
> after I disabled parity and rebooted it did.

Ok, if that works then there is a wrong information in QA 620. Maybe that
information depends on older ROM monitor versions where parity check couldn't
be disabled.

> >these SIMM's. I'll try 1x8 Mac style SIMM's, let's hope that they'll work..
>                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> The 1X9 simms you have should work.  The only difference between a 1X9 and
> 1X8 is the extra chip the boards themselves are the same.

Unfortunately they didn't. At the time of writing this I checked out three
different types and all of them didn't work. It doesn't matter wether I turn
off parity check or memory test I always get an exception #2.
As I mentioned before all types work when I mix them with non-parity SIMMs
WITHIN a bank. Now I have 16 MB 1x8 and no problems :-)
Maybe there is something wrong with my ROM (2.2 v63) so it's unable to handle
parity properly. I'll upgrade it to 2.4.

-Martin
martin@cube.han.de

cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Charles Herrick) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun9.093935.846@cube.han.de> martin@cube.han.de (Martin Ortlepp) writes:
   > The 1X9 simms you have should work.  The only difference between a 1X9 and
   > 1X8 is the extra chip the boards themselves are the same.

   Unfortunately they didn't. At the time of writing this I checked out three
   different types and all of them didn't work.

   As I mentioned before all types work when I mix them with non-parity SIMMs
   WITHIN a bank. Now I have 16 MB 1x8 and no problems :-)
   Maybe there is something wrong with my ROM (2.2 v63) so it's unable to handle
   parity properly. I'll upgrade it to 2.4.

When mixed (parity and non-parity) RAM is not officially supported,
perhaps it's for a good reason. Don't mix your RAM.
--
  The opinions expressed herein are mine and are in no way attributed
  to any of the many people for whom I work. Who they are is irrelevant.

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (06/14/91)

In article <CNH5730.91Jun11084953@calvin.tamu.edu> cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Charles Herrick) writes:
>In article <1991Jun9.093935.846@cube.han.de> martin@cube.han.de (Martin Ortlepp) writes:
>   > The 1X9 simms you have should work.  The only difference between a 1X9 and
>   > 1X8 is the extra chip the boards themselves are the same.
>
>   Unfortunately they didn't. At the time of writing this I checked out three
>   different types and all of them didn't work.
>
>   As I mentioned before all types work when I mix them with non-parity SIMMs
>   WITHIN a bank. Now I have 16 MB 1x8 and no problems :-)
>   Maybe there is something wrong with my ROM (2.2 v63) so it's unable to handle
>   parity properly. I'll upgrade it to 2.4.

I just checked my ROM version it is 2.2 v63.  Mixed ram works on mine.

>When mixed (parity and non-parity) RAM is not officially supported,
>perhaps it's for a good reason. Don't mix your RAM.

Third party ram is not supported, maybe I shouldn't use that either. 8-}