[comp.sys.next] Music for Free!

gtaylor@vme.heurikon.com (Gregory Taylor) (06/14/91)

In article <53955@apple.Apple.COM> mikel@Apple.COM (Mikel Evins) writes:
He comments on Brad Garton's article about the music department's denizens
picking up firesale cubes....

>If this is so, and if students there are working on
>music software, and if they and the university
>are willing to provide some of that software for
>ftp, I am sure that many NeXT users would be
>grateful for the chance to use the software. The
>absence of much in the way of commercial music
>and MIDI software on the NeXT is ironic and
>frustrating. In fact, an enterprising music
>student who is also a programmer could conceivably
>make some money selling a nice MIDI application
>for the NeXT.

But Mikel, it's already there. The only twist is that these lovely and
oh-so-helpful folks are doing *computer* music as opposed to work that
is more MIDI-based. While I, too, would sure like to see MAX or a
sequencer show up for the machine [it would appear that the estimable
Mr. Zazula in Arizona is working on just such a package], I've managed
to download the cmix package [it's on either Purdue or Princeton], unpack
it, and then enter the realm of the "eternal tweak loop", where I can
take the hooks to my favorite pop records, stretch/slice/dice it out
of all recognition, and then fly it around the room until it collides
itself and vanishes in a puff of Bert Parks' voice. While there's certainly
more ah....useful and musical work to be done, I'm not complaining one
bit. It *is* rather computationally intensive, but hey - this is stuff
that I could never do on anything but that humungo box at the Royal
Conservatory in the Hague. I think I can wait for the MIDI stuff for
the moment [particularly because it would appear to be simple boneheaded-
ness on the part of a few [ahem] companies whose coda business makes them
a trifle cautious and more eager for those "I Been hypMotized" bucks.

For now, you can find copies of:

cmix
csound

out there for merely the downloading. If you have the bucks, you can
buy the cmusic package from UCSD.

David Jaffe seems to have really done a wonderful job of putting together
the Concepts stuff for the MusicKit [that's out there to download, too]
and given the sources for Ensemble for perusal. I'm sure that someone
who wished to should [as Stevenson said, the old sexist] "all be as
happy as kings."

Oh yeah - that Karplus-Strong stuff that does screaming walls of wailing
feedback under cmix is *also* out there and free. Look ma, no guitars,
no fret.

So hey. Cheer Up. Patience is a virtue, and MIDI ain't the whole universe.

With Every Good Wish,
Gregory Taylor

--
These things slip from the rail of a long terrace. They fall to the street and
past it, into the river. And inside me, the airship lifts and swells and people