[comp.sys.next] Can the Next ports run at 57600 baud RS422?

rit@killdeer.Stanford.EDU (Jean-Francois Rit) (06/13/91)

Can the Next ports run at 57600 baud RS422? This seems to be a
requirement to drive some printers...

All I could get from the man pages is that zs can run at any of 16
speeds and that tty speeds are:

     B0      0    (hang up dataphone)
     B50     1    50 baud
     B75     2    75 baud
     B110    3    110 baud
     B134    4    134.5 baud
     B150    5    150 baud
     B200    6    200 baud
     B300    7    300 baud
     B600    8    600 baud
     B1200   9    1200 baud
     B1800   10   1800 baud
     B2400   11   2400 baud
     B4800   12   4800 baud
     B9600   13   9600 baud
     EXTA    14   19200 baud
     EXTB    15   38400 baud

That's 16 if you count speed 0.

Am I doomed?

J-F Rit

ddj@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu (Doug DeJulio) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.152426.20007@neon.Stanford.EDU> rit@killdeer.Stanford.EDU (Jean-Francois Rit) writes:
>Can the Next ports run at 57600 baud RS422? This seems to be a
>requirement to drive some printers...
>
>All I could get from the man pages is that zs can run at any of 16
>speeds and that tty speeds are:
>
>     B0      0    (hang up dataphone)
>     B50     1    50 baud
>     B75     2    75 baud
>     B110    3    110 baud
>     B134    4    134.5 baud
>     B150    5    150 baud
>     B200    6    200 baud
>     B300    7    300 baud
>     B600    8    600 baud
>     B1200   9    1200 baud
>     B1800   10   1800 baud
>     B2400   11   2400 baud
>     B4800   12   4800 baud
>     B9600   13   9600 baud
>     EXTA    14   19200 baud
>     EXTB    15   38400 baud

I'm pretty sure the hardware can do better.  I've been wondering about
the possibility of redefining EXTA and EXTB to be something different.
Ideally, I'd like both 56kbaud asynch and 64kbaud SYNCHRONOUS serial
on my NeXT, -- the first for a SLIP connection to a roommate's
Amiga3000, the other for our house's SLIP connection to the internet.
Given those, I'd have no use for 19.2kbaud or 38.4kbaud.

Can anyone tell me anything about the feasability of this plan?  Is
this sort of modification to the serial port device driver something
we can do in a loadable kernel module?  Does anyone know for a fact
what the limits of the hardware are?

Hm, appletalk is really just a very high speed serial line protocol,
isn't it?
--
Doug DeJulio
ddj@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu

scott@mcs-server.gac.edu (Scott Hess) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.152426.20007@neon.Stanford.EDU> rit@killdeer.Stanford.EDU (Jean-Francois Rit) writes:
   Can the Next ports run at 57600 baud RS422? This seems to be a
   requirement to drive some printers...

The super-serial chips, or whatever they are called (it's late,
alright?) are not supposed to run any faster than 38400, or
so I've heard.  The problem is mostly that they are simply older
technology (albeit well-proven).  I've heard various rumors about
various devices that _can_ go faster - via the SCSI or DPS
ports - but, alas, as shipped Unix can't do greater than
38,400.

I doubt there are any printers with such limits.  They'll probably
run faster at that speed, but they probably don't _require_ it.
The reason being that NeXT's serial io is as good as most PCs,
which means that it's probably capable of accepting lower
speeds.  Would seem sort of stupid not too, I'd think . . .

Later,
--
scott hess                      scott@gac.edu
Independent NeXT Developer	Graduated GAC Undergrad!

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.152426.20007@neon.Stanford.EDU> rit@killdeer.Stanford.EDU (Jean-Francois Rit) writes:
   Can the Next ports run at 57600 baud RS422?

   All I could get from the man pages is that zs can run at any of 16
   speeds and that tty speeds are: [50 thru 38400]

The highest supported async clock speed, with the standard device
driver, is defined in <sys/ttydev.h> as 38400.  I haven't yet tested
to see whether they can achieve that in real throughput.  If one
wished different values than those (higher or lower or in between)
then one would need to supply a custom device driver, complete with
custom ioctls.

The highest sync clock speed we recommend with our X.25 daemon on the
NeXT serial ports is 19200, because that's the highest speed at which
it runs reliably.  We have clocked it higher (e.g. 38400), but it gets
more underruns the higher you push the speed.  X.25 "works" at those
speeds only because of the redundancy of the higher-level protocols,
which cause frames to be resent when needed.

In article <1991Jun13.182809.23141@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu> ddj@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu (Doug DeJulio) writes:
   I'm pretty sure the hardware can do better.

The same X.25 daemon code runs reliably at 64K on a SPARCstation-1,
which uses the same Zilog 8530 serial interface chip, so yes the
hardware can do better.  We run X.25 over RS232 (sync) on our VME
boards using the 8530 at speeds over 500K, so yes some parts of the
hardware can do much better.  (You don't want to run RS232 async at
very high speeds, because the waveforms begin to get distorted by the
capacitance.)

Our X.25 daemon's serial interface speed is limited on the NeXT's
native ports because of certain design misfeatures of the NeXT Mach
2.* 8530 interrupt service routines.  This has been reported to NeXT
as a bug.  Also, the SPARC architecture is much better at servicing
interrupts than is the Motorola 68K found in (today's :-) NeXT.

In article <SCOTT.91Jun14005609@mcs-server.gac.edu> scott@mcs-server.gac.edu (Scott Hess) writes:
   The super-serial chips ... are not supposed to run any faster than
   38400, or so I've heard.

38400 is the highest async serial speed found in <sys/ttydev.h> on any
UNIX system I've encountered.

   The problem is mostly that they are simply older technology (albeit
   well-proven).

The 8530 can run fast just fine.  As above, they manage 64K sync just
fine in other UNIX systems, when those systems service their
interrupts correctly.

   I've heard various rumors about various devices that _can_ go
   faster - via the SCSI or DPS ports - but, alas, as shipped Unix
   can't do greater than 38,400.

Our SCSI-attached sync serial interface runs at T1 speeds and better,
but it doesn't use the 8530.  A serial async device driver either for
its ports or for the NeXT-native 8530s could define whatever speeds it
likes, but you probably won't get much over 64K async on the native
NeXT ports.

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (06/15/91)

I have run kermit transfers at 38400 baud (MSKermit 3.01 to NeXT
Kermit 5.0), and am printing to a LaserJetIIP at 19200 Baud, if that
is any help.

Greetings,
Hardy
Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy);  Department of Physics, University of California
Irvine CA 92717; (714) 856 5543; hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu or MMAYER@UCI.BITNET