[comp.sys.next] DialUpIP SLIP is available

louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (06/14/91)

The port of the CSNET/CREN DialUpIP SLIP code that I've been working
on is now available for your use and abuse.

I'd like to thank the beta test sites that I had which gave me feedback,
problem reports and suggestions.  The beta test sites should upgrade to the
"real" version since the test versions will expire within 30 days.

I have dropped it off at the following archive sites:

	sonata.cc.purdue.edu:	/pub/next/submissions/SLIP_910613.tar
	nova.cc.purdue.edu:	/pub/next/submissions/SLIP_910613.tar
	cs.orst.edu:		/pub/next/submissions/SLIP_910613.tar
	umd5.umd.edu:		/NeXT/Software/SLIP_910613.tar

You should fetch this software with FTP in binary or image mode.
Extract the file from the tar image.  You'll see these files:

rw-r--r-- 21/10  14914 Jun 13 00:51 1991 README.wn
rwxr-xr-x  0/10      0 Jun 13 09:08 1991 SLIP_v0.pkg/
rw-r--r--  0/10 246387 Jun 13 09:08 1991 SLIP_v0.pkg/SLIP_v0.tar.Z
rw-r--r--  0/10    693 Jun 13 09:05 1991 SLIP_v0.pkg/SLIP_v0.info
rw-r--r--  0/10   1302 May 29 01:45 1991 SLIP_v0.pkg/SLIP_v0.tiff
rw-r--r--  0/10   4807 Jun 13 09:08 1991 SLIP_v0.pkg/SLIP_v0.bom
rw-r--r--  0/10     49 Jun 13 09:08 1991 SLIP_v0.pkg/SLIP_v0.sizes

You will then want to invoke the Installer application on the
SLIP_v0.pkg directory; make sure that you do this as root.  This will
install files in the directory /usr/dialupip.  Once you've installed
the package, you can look at the documentation in
/usr/dialupip/Documentation.bshlf with the Digital Librarian as well
as the the README.wn and Installation_Guide.wn files.  Do a "List
Titles" in DL to see what's available, or just look in /usr/dialupip.

Please don't ask me to mail this software to you; its just too large
and I really don't have the time.  Please read the documentation
before yelling for help, and look at the sample configuration files.
You should already have access to a SLIP server or SLIP facility of
some kind; if you don't then this software won't do you any good.

louie

tilley@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Richard Tilley) (06/15/91)

In <1991Jun13.170751.1743@ni.umd.edu> louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) writes:

>You should already have access to a SLIP server or SLIP facility of
>some kind; if you don't then this software won't do you any good.

Its been a while since there has been a SLIP discussion, so I will ask the obvious question:
Is there a SLIP server that runs on a NeXT?

... Richard <Tilley@ccu.umanitoba.ca>

louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun14.174406.22729@ccu.umanitoba.ca> tilley@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Richard Tilley) writes:

>Is there a SLIP server that runs on a NeXT?

The DialUpIP port to the NeXT that I did can be used as a slip server.
You could just hang a modem or two on the serial ports and enable a
getty on them.  (Or, you could run the dulogin command instead if you were
only going to use it for SLIP.)

You'd likely configure an entry in the password file, err.., I mean
netinfo database which has a dudisc_slipX command as its shell (where
X is the number of the interface interface corresponding to the
remote).  When the remote NeXT logs into the computer, the
dudisc_slip0 command would connect that tty to the specific interface,
and voila!

I am not sure that you could telnet into the SLIP server, and then
enter SLIP mode on the pty.  You're asking for trouble, as the
telnet/rlogin connection from the modem/terminal server to the NeXT
would have to be 8 bit transparent.  If this paragraph doesn't make
sense to you; good.  Its a sick thing to run SLIP over a TELNET
connection!

Look at the CSNET install.ms[.rtf] file in the distribution for more
detail information about how you might do this.

louie

ken@unixg.ubc.ca (Kenneth White) (06/15/91)

I installed DialUpIP Slip but we don't have it working yet, the files
show what to do for Dial up but we have a hard-wired SLIP connection.
If someone has done this can they post it here.

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (06/15/91)

I just downloaded and unpacked Louie's beautiful SLIP package.
Reading part of the documentation I realized the rc.slip requires the hosts's
and NeXT's IP  numbers.  In our setup at UCIrvine, the server
issues an IP number when it goes into the SLIP mode. This means that
either rc.slip needs to be edited before one fires up slip (I can
imagine a  script using sed doing this), or making the assigned IP
number into an environment variable which rc.slip reads.
Our server expects BOOTP to get the number and configure SLIP.
I have no previous experience with slip and would welcome any advice
before I start experimenting with it.

Greetings,
Hardy
			  -------****-------
Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy);  Department of Physics, University of California
Irvine CA 92717; (714) 856 5543; hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu or MMAYER@UCI.BITNET

In article <1991Jun14.194819.22490@unixg.ubc.ca> ken@unixg.ubc.ca (Kenneth White) writes:
>I installed DialUpIP Slip but we don't have it working yet, the files
>show what to do for Dial up but we have a hard-wired SLIP connection.

This is really easy.  You need the simplest script file that there is
to do SLIP over a dedicated serial line.  Just create a file, put its
name in the script field on the appropriate line in
the/usr/dialupip/config/diald.conf file.  This script consists of one line:

	go

which tells the diald process that the SLIP connection has been
established.  Make sure that you have DCD (carrier detect) on the port
asserted since diald uses that to determine of the line has dropped.

The example script files are just samples of the most usual case of
dialing a modem (and possibly logging into a SLIP server).  You are
free to hack those over anyway that you want; the only thing that's
required to enable SLIP on a particular line is to invoke the "go"
command in a script file, somewhere, somehow.  It's not necessary to
maintain the structure or to emulate the example files if it seems to
be inappropriate for you situation.

louie

In article <HARDY.91Jun14125457@golem.ps.uci.edu> hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) writes:
>I just downloaded and unpacked Louie's beautiful SLIP package.

Thanks!

>Reading part of the documentation I realized the rc.slip requires the hosts's
>and NeXT's IP  numbers.  In our setup at UCIrvine, the server
>issues an IP number when it goes into the SLIP mode. This means that
>either rc.slip needs to be edited before one fires up slip (I can
>imagine a  script using sed doing this), or making the assigned IP
>number into an environment variable which rc.slip reads.

You are free to reconfigure the address of the slip0 interface at any
time by using the ifconfig command.  The addresses that are specified in
the rc.slip file are only there for convience, and not necessity.  But you
have to configure that addresses somewhere, sometime.  I wouldn't fool with
trying to edit the rc.slip file on the fly or play games with environment
variable.

The rc.slip file is only intended to be run once (usually at boot
time) to get the /usr/dialupip/bin/diald process started up and
running.  You can set the addresses of the interfaces anytime that you
want.  The diald process is completely ignorant of any IP addresses
which might be assigned to the interfaces; it simply waits for a
message from the kernel driver that says, effectively:

	"bring up interface slip0, I got a packet from address
	1.2.3.4 going to address 5.6.7.8 with protocol TCP"

where it then checks any access lists that you might have configured.
If it passes the test, it invokes the approprate script file to bring
the interface up.  You could use the access lists to prevent a casual
ICMP echo request (PING) from bringing up the line inadvertantly.  It
doesn't care what the addresses are; just the fact that a packet tried
to be transmitted on the slip interface (because of how the network
routes were set up; see 'netstat -r -n') will cause the interface to
be brought up.

>Our server expects BOOTP to get the number and configure SLIP.
>I have no previous experience with slip and would welcome any advice
>before I start experimenting with it.

Presumably you could write a BOOTP agent to transmit a packet out the
interface.  Any packets transmitted on a slip interface which isn't
active are queued, and transmitted once diald brings the tty up and
turns on the SLIP line discipline.  Thus, you could transmit the BOOTP
packet, which would cause the line to come up and then it would be
transmitted to your SLIP server.

louie