[comp.sys.next] Umm, a couple of PS questions.

yoshida@tansei.cc.u-tokyo.ac.jp (Yoshida) (06/14/91)

Hi there fellow NeXT-Net-sters!

I've been following this group for about 3-4 months now.  Some
great advice out there!

I have a couple of short PS related questions that I haven't
been able to find the answers to:

Under 1.0, in YAP, you could print by including the PRINTERDEVICE
and COPYPAGE commands.  But under 2.0 - PRINTERDEVICE is *supposedly*
replaced by MACHPORTDEVICE (or so the :-) *evil* docu writer tried
to make me believe), i.e. I haven't been able to make it work.  (Gosh,
even yelling at the cube and holding my breath doesnt help!  :-)   )
So, aside from issuing the "lpr" command in the Shell, is there a
better way to process my simple code as I'm testing - from within
YAP?  (Under 1.0 I just commented out out PRINTERDEVICE when I
wanted the output on screen - then EXECUTE....)

Also, I may be dumb, but how do I convince PS to allow me to include
a TIFF file as an image.  Is this possible?

Thanks in advance!    Paul.  (yoshida@tansei.cc.u-tokyo.ac.jp)

In article <598@tansei1.tansei.cc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
	yoshida@tansei.cc.u-tokyo.ac.jp (Yoshida) writes:
>Under 1.0, in YAP, you could print by including the PRINTERDEVICE
>and COPYPAGE commands.  But under 2.0 - PRINTERDEVICE is *supposedly*
>replaced by MACHPORTDEVICE

Under pre-2.0 systems, the NeXT Laser Printer was supposed
"directly" by the window server; it allocated a 1-bit-deep
buffer which it would blast at the printer on receipt of a
copypage or showpage operator.  Now, the laser driver is
part of npd, and as far as I know there's no way to get it
to print something unless it initiates the request through
"normal" means.

>So, aside from issuing the "lpr" command in the Shell, is there a
>better way to process my simple code as I'm testing - from within
>YAP?

I don't think so.

>Also, I may be dumb, but how do I convince PS to allow me to include
>a TIFF file as an image.  Is this possible?

Read your .tiff file into Icon and save it out as .eps

					-=EPS=-