[comp.sys.next] /Images/People/user@network.tiff

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (06/13/91)

I remember seeing a discussion on how to modify something to fool your
mailer into being able to display TIFF files for people who were not local
to your machine.  I was sure I had squirreled away a copy of the message,
but after an exhaustive search with Digital Librarian through 20 megs of
Mailboxes, I can't find it.  If one of you remembers how to do this, could
you enlighten me?  Was it hacking /etc/passwd somehow?

To recap, I'd like to put <user>.tiff into /LocalLibrary/Images/People and
have it show up when I receive mail from "otherhost!somehost!user" or some
variation on that.

Please reply by Email.

Thanks!

--
 Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		NeXT/PostScript developers

lclarke@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Lawrence Clarke) (06/14/91)

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) writes:

> I remember seeing a discussion on how to modify something to fool your
> mailer into being able to display TIFF files for people who were not local
> to your machine.  I was sure I had squirreled away a copy of the message,
> but after an exhaustive search with Digital Librarian through 20 megs of
> Mailboxes, I can't find it.  If one of you remembers how to do this, could
> you enlighten me?  Was it hacking /etc/passwd somehow?
>
> To recap, I'd like to put <user>.tiff into /LocalLibrary/Images/People and
> have it show up when I receive mail from "otherhost!somehost!user" or some
> variation on that.
>
> Please reply by Email.

Please reply by posting to comp.sys.next. I sure everyone would want
to know.

Thanks
Lawrence Clarke
Vancouver NeXT Users Society (V-NUS)

 *  lawrence_clarke@questor.uucp  |  c/o TRIUMF Operations Group     *
 *  larry@erich.triumf.ca         |  University of British Columbia  *
 *  Compuserve: 70441,1776        |  4004 Wesbrook Mall              *
 *  Phone: +1 604 275-5902        |  Vancouver, British Columbia     *
 *  FAX:   +1 604 275-4184        |  Canada  V6T 2A3                 *

robertl@bucsf.bu.edu (Robert La Ferla) (06/15/91)

Ditto.  I'd like this info too.

Robert La Ferla
Lotus Development Corporation
Advanced Technology Group / NeXT Improv

jim@ljkiraly (L J "Jim" Kiraly) (06/16/91)

In article <FoPi41w164w@questor.wimsey.bc.ca> lclarke@questor.wimsey.bc.ca
(Lawrence Clarke) writes:
> glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) writes:
>

> > I remember seeing a discussion on how to modify something to fool your
> > mailer into being able to display TIFF files for people who were not local
> > to your machine.  I was sure I had squirreled away a copy of the message,
> > but after an exhaustive search with Digital Librarian through 20 megs of
> > Mailboxes, I can't find it.  If one of you remembers how to do this, could
> Please reply by posting to comp.sys.next. I sure everyone would want
> to know.

Here is the response that I e-mailed to Glenn Reid:

Add a line to the passwd file in /LocalLibrary/Images/People like:
xxx_xxxx@next.com:*:-2:-2::/nodir:/noshell

and also add a tiff file named:
xxx_xxxx@next.com.tiff

As I recall, don't use CAPS anywhere in the names or things won't work.

Jim
  Jim Kiraly  - jim@ljkiraly.lerc.nasa.gov  -  NASA Lewis Research Center