[comp.sys.next] BLand is foo!

mdm@wdl30.wdl.loral.com (Mike D Marchionna) (06/17/91)

   Like many people reading this group I managed to grab one of the BLand
firesale cubes last November.  So far I've been insanely pleased with my
little black box.  When the news of the new '040 upgrades came out I waited
awhile before placing an order.  I Waited until the end of March before
placing an order for an '040 upgrade and the 2.0 software.  I was trying to
beat the deadline for the Improv offer.  When I ordered I specifically asked
if I would be billed immediatley, or when the order actually shipped.  My
sales rep assured me that I would not be billed until it was shipped.

   Well a month goes by, and the only thing I have received is a bill for my
order.  When I called my sales rep to complain, his response was basically,
"Oopps, sorry!"  Needless to say I was put a bit put off; however, I had
already invested a month of waiting and was assured my order would be filled
real soon.  So I kept waiting, calling every now and then to remind them I
hadn't forgotten they had taken my money without giving me anything in return.
Finally the month of May goes by, and I finally get word that my '040 board
is no where in sight, but my software is in.  Fine I say, that only took 2
months.  Maybe I'll get lucky and get 2.1 instead of 2.0.  No dice, but by
now I'm not complaining; I'm happy to get anything.

   On top of not getting 2.1 at this late date, I check the upgrade cards for
Mathematica and Common Lisp in my 2.0 upgrade and find the offer dates have
all expired.  I filled the lousy cards out anyway, and sent them in just in
case.  I had no idea there was a time limit on how long NeXT would due the
right thing and offer the software updates.  Not that I would be able to do
anything with the upgrades since I have no floppy drive.  Further there is no
way for me to get the 2.1 upgrade.

   Meanwhile I'm reading posts from other people that placed there order after
I did, and receiving both the 2.1 software and '040 boards in a 2-4 week time
frame.  Next thing I read in the newspaper ther is a big article about how
BLand is about to go Chapter 11 any second.  By now I figure my money is
about as good as lost.  I call BusinessLand again, and suprise there are still
people answering the phones.  Their answer was basically, "Still don't have
your board, be patient and pray some company buys us out."  I grit my teeth,
and start getting use to the idea my money is gone with the wind.

   I wait until mid June before I can't stand it any longer and decide to call
and check up on my order.  This time the answer is, "Sorry your board isn't in,
and further more we no longer carry the NeXT computer line.  If we have any
money left we might give you a refund.  Then again, maybe not.  Thank you for
shopping at BLand!  Have a nice day!"

   Eeewwwwhhhhh!  Do I want to hurt somebody!  So far I haven't seen any sign
of a refund.  The only reason I even placed the order with BLand was, because
the NeXT sales rep I first tried to place the order with, suggested I would be
better off ordering through BLand.  Let's see I get 2.0 with the upgrade offers
expired, the deadline for a free copy of Improv has come and gone, no '040
board, and no money.  The only way I can be happy now is if BLand folds, and I
can dance on their grave.  Some advice for the NeXT community at large, I
suggest that you stay very far away from BLand, since they are surely
concentrated evil.  DO NOT TOUCH!

							   MDM
(  _______________________________   Brain, and brain!  What is brain!    )
 \________________________________)        --Star Trek (Spock's Brain)   /
El_Rayo_X_______________________________________________________________/

In article <1991Jun17.035016.18892@wdl1.wdl.loral.com>
	mdm@wdl30.wdl.loral.com (Mike D Marchionna) writes:
>   On top of not getting 2.1 at this late date, I check the upgrade cards for
>Mathematica and Common Lisp in my 2.0 upgrade and find the offer dates have
>all expired.

Don't panic.  There's ANOTHER upgrade card in the '040 upgrade
kit, and it doesn't expire until December.

>                                             Not that I would be able to do
>anything with the upgrades since I have no floppy drive.  Further there is no
>way for me to get the 2.1 upgrade.

NeXT *will* provide 2.1 on optical.  We're supposed to get some
next week.  (We'll see.)

>                      The only way I can be happy now is if BLand folds, and I
>can dance on their grave.

Bad news: they've been rescued by a company that runs computer
stores on the [U.S.] east coast.

					-=EPS=-