[comp.sys.next] SysV/386

davis@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu (Palmer Davis) (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun14.194907.2960@kithrup.COM> sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:

>Of course, you could have gotten a cheap '386 clone and run unix on that for
>about half the money.

No, you couldn't have.  I just got rid of my AT&T 6386, which originally
cost ~$2800 a couple years ago through the university.  (20 MHz, 13" monitor
that wobbled badly when you tried to stick it into 800x600 mode.)  Hardware
prices and UNIX licenses are both considerably less expensive now, but not
"years ago."  And even today, once you add together the '386 CPU that's
"half the money," a large enough hard drive to hold the enormous distributions
most vendors are shipping (since we're talking about competing with the
NeXT, you need TCP/IP, X, Motif, Looking Glass (if you're the "drool-proof"
type -- I'm not), development tools, and room enough to build Emacs, gcc,
and TeX), eight megs of memory, an ethernet card, super VGA card, monitor,
and UNIX license, you come out with a system that costs almost as much as
the $3250 NeXTstations our bookstore is shipping, with less than half the
horsepower, a crippled I/O bus, and no multimedia capabilities.  Throw in
a Sigma LaserView, a Sound Blaster, and upgrade the CPU to a 486/25, and
you have a more expensive system that still doesn't give you what the NeXT
does -- you still have a losing OS, less horsepower, marginal multimedia
hardware, and none of the software NeXT gives you.  Go with the really neat
486/25 EISA stuff that's starting to come out, and you might as well have
bought an HP 9000/720.

Unless you're using a bottom-of-the-line 386SX with minimal facilities,
System V/386 is a major lose.

-- PTD --

--
Palmer Davis <davis@po.cwru.edu>     I'm probably wrong, so don't blame INS.
CWRU Information Network Services                 Life is short.

sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) (06/16/91)

In article <1991Jun14.212405.17554@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> davis@po.CWRU.Edu writes:
>And even today, once you add together the '386 CPU that's
>"half the money," a large enough hard drive to hold the enormous distributions
>most vendors are shipping (since we're talking about competing with the
>NeXT, you need TCP/IP, X, Motif, Looking Glass (if you're the "drool-proof"
>type -- I'm not), development tools, and room enough to build Emacs, gcc,
>and TeX), eight megs of memory, an ethernet card, super VGA card, monitor,
>and UNIX license, you come out with a system that costs almost as much as
>the $3250 NeXTstations our bookstore is shipping, with less than half the
>horsepower, a crippled I/O bus, and no multimedia capabilities.

Oh, *I* see.  You don't want "just a unix box," you want something that has
graphics, networking (even though it's gonig to be a home computer?), a
fancy GUI, etc.  At home, *I don't use X*.  I use X and NeXTStep at work,
but I got by without them for years.

And I paid a whopping total of $2800 for my 25MHz machine with 8MBytes of
RAM, an FPU, 122Mbyte RLL and 380MByte SCSI disks, and monitor.  I bought a
used monitor and FPU, and waited for memory to get cheap before I got
4Mbytes of that 8Mbytes, and went in on a group buy for the disk.  (I got my
OS for free, because of my job at the time.  And I paid $25 for a cheap used
ethernet card.)

Yes, if you want all of the features of the NeXT, the NeXT is the best
machine to go for.  If you want all the applications that come with it,
ditto.  But for just a basic unix box, it's hard to beat an intel box.

sef@kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."

kari@finn (Kari Karhi) (06/18/91)

Fagan) writes:

> >Of course, you could have gotten a cheap '386 clone and run unix on that for
> >about half the money.
> >

> No, you couldn't have.  I just got rid of my AT&T 6386, which originally
>     <and so forth>

Sorry about my previous reply, which basically repeats this one.  I did not
notice this one, since the Subject line was different, until after posting.
Does someone know how to cancel a posting using NewsGrazer?

	Kari Karhi
	Pencom Software
	(512)343-1111
	pensoft!kari@cs.utexas.edu