[comp.sys.next] NeXT Laser follow-up

kthompso@acs.ucalgary.ca (Kelly Thompson) (06/18/91)

I thought I'd summarize the replies I got concerning streaky output from the
NeXT Laser printer.  They generally fell into three areas:

1)  Expect bad output if you are using recycled cartridges
2)  Clean the thing you idiot! I was told (always very politely) that, like all
    laser printers, it needs to be cleaned to keep it performing well.
3)  Many people suggested this one: take out the cartridge and shake it from
    side to side to redistribute the toner.

Most of the messages said their output was excellent when the printer was well
maintained. I only had one other person say that their printer wasn't perfoming
up to snuff:

>To: kthompso@acs.ucalgary.ca
>Subject: My NeXT laser streaks, too

>>I only have access to one NeXT laser printer here on campus, and the output
>>is streaky. Is this a common problem. It didn't really live up to my
>    ^^^^^^^
>>expectations of what 400dpi output should look like.

>My NeXT laser printer is very streaky as well.  My wife and I have
>only had our NeXTStation since April, and I am a bit disappointed
>with the printer.  A few days ago, I fiered off a letter to our
>campus rep detailing the problem, but I haven't heard anything
>from him.

>On my printer, it seems like after every 50-60 pages a light band
>appears on the right hand side of the page.  If I take the toner
>catridge out and shake it up, it will cure the problem, but onky
>for another 50-60 pages....  Also, blacks print out very badly
>streaked.  I use SoftPC and print screen images and they don't
>look very good at all.

>Alas, I don't know the answer.  It seems to me that something is
>not quite right with the printer.  I don't know if it is the
>paper, toner, or the printer itself.

>Another streaky NeXT laser user,
>Hubert Hickman
>hickman@fergvax.unl.edu

According to what everyone else claimed, I think Mr. Hickman could have
bumb printer if everything else has been done --ie cleaning, shaking, etc.

___
   Kelly Thompson

mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) (06/18/91)

From NeXT Laser follow-up article

>On my printer, it seems like after every 50-60 pages a light band
>appears on the right hand side of the page.  If I take the toner
>catridge out and shake it up, it will cure the problem, but onky
>for another 50-60 pages....  Also, blacks print out very badly
>streaked.  I use SoftPC and print screen images and they don't
>look very good

>Another streaky NeXT laser user,
>Hubert Hickman
>hickman@fergvax.unl.edu

I spoke to a copier-expert, and showed him similar output from my
NeXT Laser Printer (the light band on the right side). He took one
look at it and said that the culprit is a dirty corona wire. Since
the corona wire on a Canon SX laser printer is in the EPS toner
cartridge, it can vary from cartridge to cartridge. I believe that
the recycled cartridges could fall into this category, although
in my case the toner was brand new.

You can manually clean the corona wire. I believe the instructions for
doing so are in the NeXT Users Manual.

MikeC

Michael D. Callaghan, MDC Designs, University of Maryland