[comp.sys.next] hung gettys

ddj@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu (Doug DeJulio) (06/18/91)

In article <mdixon.677181197@thelonius> mdixon@parc.xerox.com (Mike Dixon) writes:
>   feynman>ps -augx
>   USER  %CPU %MEM VSIZE RSIZE TT STAT  TIME COMMAND
>   root       121  27.9  2.0 1.24M  160K  a R    166h h- std.9600 ttya (getty)
[...]
>here's a tip:  that first line says that over 1/4 of your cpu time is
>being wasted on a getty process that's waiting for someone to log on
>over serial port a.
[...]
>su and 'kill -STOP' the getty process (you then have to 'kill -CONT'
>it again before you'll be able to log in).
[...]
>if you find a better solution, i'd like to hear about it...

The same thing was happening between my machine and my roommates new
Amiga 3000.  I switched the getty from ttya to ttyda, and the problem
seems to have gone away.

Oh, by the way, the getty I run on ttyda is also running at 38400
baud, and there haven't been any problems (I just had to add an entry
to the gettytab file).
--
Doug DeJulio
ddj@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu