Salvatore Saieva <SLVQC@CUNYVM.BITNET> (06/17/91)

In article <1721@toaster.SFSU.EDU>, eps@toaster.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) says:

>In article <9106141908.AA25449@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu>
>        Greg Johnson
>        <CCGREG%UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU@OHSTVMA.ACS.OHIO-STATE.EDU>
>        writes:
[a lot of deleted text...]
>>                                                                      We use
>>the student's birthdate as their initial password.
>
>We don't, it's too easy to obtain.

[a lot more text deleted]

Initial account passwords are an important consideration. When I read about
Greg's idea of using birthdays in ``The Guidebook,'' I thought it was
a great idea. The biggest problem in setting initial passwords is distribution:
How do you get these passwords to the users? Of course one wants the password
to be somewhat complicated to avoid unauthorized breakins, but it can become
a huge amount of work to distribute passwords to users; ie: mail passwords
to users at the start of a semester, or (even worse) have a consultant
distribute passwords after verifying the user's id.

Sal.
-------
 Salvatore Saieva                            Internet: slvqc@cunyvm.cuny.edu
 Queens College, Academic Computer Center      BITNET: slvqc@cunyvm.bitnet
 65-30 Kissena Blvd, Flushing, N.Y. 11367     DeskNet: (718) 520-7662

      awk, sed, grep, lex, yacc, make, >, <, |,... ``I got the Power!''

In article <91168.102708SLVQC@CUNYVM.BITNET> SLVQC@CUNYVM.BITNET
	(Salvatore Saieva) writes:
>                                                           but it can become
>a huge amount of work to distribute passwords to users; ie: mail passwords
>to users at the start of a semester,

If you're clever, you only have to worry about password
distribution once per person per "lifetime."

At a typical school, students don't get new student numbers each
semester--that stuff is handled ONCE, and they get periodic
validation stickers for their ID cards.  You can do the same
thing electronically (I'll leave the details as an exercise for
the reader :-) ).

>                                     or (even worse) have a consultant
>distribute passwords after verifying the user's id.

What?  You don't trust your consultants?  You've got bigger
problems...

For our AC NeXT cluster, each new user receives a letter-sized
sheet folded in thirds:

	top /
	    \
	    /

The top third is visible, and bears the identifying information.
Most of the top two-thirds is a "welcome" letter, which (among
other things) instructs the user to change his/her password
IMMEDIATELY and TELL NO ONE.  The initial password appears
somewhere on the middle third.  The bottom third is printed with
a guard pattern, and the sheet is stapled.  These are collated
and can be picked up upon presentation of proper ID.  Simple,
inexpensive, relatively painless.  (And it has a "paper trail,"
which administrative types like.)

					-=EPS=-