[comp.sys.next] /usr/games/fortune ?

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (06/18/91)

I haven't seen /usr/games/fortune for years.  Does it still exist?  Is there
a public domain version of it anywhere?  Does anybody have all the quotations
somewhere that they could send me?  Does anybody still ship it, and/or is it
part of the Berkeley distribution?  Does it still have the -o option ?-)

I'm not really disappointed that it's not on the NeXT distribution, but
I just got nostalgic the other day, and wished I had a copy....

Thanks for any pointers, anecdotes, or even flames :-)

--
 Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		NeXT/PostScript developers

In article <539@heaven.woodside.ca.us> glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us
	(Glenn Reid) writes:
>I haven't seen /usr/games/fortune for years.  Does it still exist?

Yes.

>                                                                    Is there
>a public domain version of it anywhere?

Berkeley copyright, close enough.

>                                         Does anybody have all the quotations
>somewhere that they could send me?

Over half a megabyte?

>                                    Does anybody still ship it, and/or is it
>part of the Berkeley distribution?

Yes.

>                                    Does it still have the -o option ?-)

Yes.

>I'm not really disappointed that it's not on the NeXT distribution, but
>I just got nostalgic the other day, and wished I had a copy....

Your wishes come true!  I just dropped off bsd-fortune-src.tar.Z
on sonata.cc.purdue.edu in pub/next/submissions

418825 bytes, sum 20854

This is the 4.3-reno version, suitably NeXTified.

Read the README regarding the -o option.

On a 2.0/2.1 system,
	% make all
	# make install

On a 1.0/1.0a system, first edit the Makefile to comment out
LDFLAGS= and uncomment LIBS=, then make as above.

Have fun.  :-)

					-=EPS=-