[comp.sys.next] COPS on Next 2.0??

lemson@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (David Lemson) (06/18/91)

Has anyone run COPS on the NeXT?  I know, I know, NeXT's are made to
be personal and all, but I run a public lab and want to make sure
it's fairly secure.  I can get it all to work except for the
passwd.chk script.  I compile the pass.c program, and it gives a few
warnings, generates the output, but when I run it, I get a bad
command.

The COPS documentation mentions that they hadn't heard of anyone
using it on a NeXT 1.0.  Yes, I do realize that I had to nidump the
passwd file. :-)

--
David Lemson   University of Illinois Computing Services Consultant
Internet : lemson@uiuc.edu         UUCP :...!uiucuxc!uiucux1!lemson

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun18.030715.11568@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> lemson@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
(David Lemson) writes:
> Has anyone run COPS on the NeXT?  I know, I know, NeXT's are made to
> be personal and all, but I run a public lab and want to make sure
> it's fairly secure.  I can get it all to work except for the
> passwd.chk script.  I compile the pass.c program, and it gives a few
> warnings, generates the output, but when I run it, I get a bad
> command.
>
> The COPS documentation mentions that they hadn't heard of anyone
> using it on a NeXT 1.0.  Yes, I do realize that I had to nidump the
> passwd file. :-)

   I've been running COPS since 1.0. I havent' tested it on my 2.1 yet,
but I bet it will run. If you can accept NeXTMail, I'll send you my
copy.

   - jiro nakamura
--
Jiro Nakamura				jiro@shaman.com
Shaman Consulting			(607) 256-5125 VOICE