[comp.sys.next] POSIX termio.h or termios.h

woo@arc.nasa.gov (Alex Woo x6010 227-6 rm 315) (06/11/91)

We are currently working on a new release of gnuplot, version 3.0, and one of
the new features is command line recall and editing.  Unfortunately, this uses
the POSIX termio.h include file, which I cannot seem to locate on a NeXT.
I assume that there is a substitute struct for termio available.
Would someone point me to the correct include and documentation?
(not the ioctl's please.)

Thanks.

Alex Woo, MS 227-6                         woo@ames.arc.nasa.gov
NASA Ames Research Center           __o    NASAMAIL      ACWOO
Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000       -\<,    SPANET        24582::WOO
(415) 604-6010 (FAX) 604-4357 .....O/ O   {hplabs,decwrl,uunet}!ames!woo
Disclaimer: These comments are not official statements of NASA or EMCC.

ty@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Tyng-Jing Yang) (06/11/91)

Sorry ! this followup is not to anwer this thread.
I did have same problem when I tried to install "dbx" under co-Xist to get a
free Grpahcial Debugger  ;-).

"Can't find termio.h" is the final problem to stop me.

Do we have "termio.h" header file in NS2.1/2.0 ?

Thanks for your pointer

Jing

In article <1991Jun10.173421.13278@riacs.edu> woo@arc.nasa.gov
	(Alex Woo x6010 227-6 rm 315) writes:
>I assume that there is a substitute struct for termio available.

NO!

Once upon a time, there were two distinct (and incompatible)
paradigms for tty ioctls; the "old" ("sgtty" or "TIOC") way,
and the "new" ("termio" or "TC") way that turned up somewhere
around UNIX System III.  Then the POSIX SOBs (may they burn
in Hell forever) decided to invent yet a third "standard"
(I'm absolutely convinced their entire purpose is to destroy
UNIX, not to "improve" it) called termios.

NeXT does things the "old" BSD 4.3-compatible way.  Don't
bother looking for termio or termios, they're NOT there.
There are definitely some good points to termio, but termios
is a total crock...

If the code doesn't have conditionals for different tty
drivers, you have a lot of work ahead.

					-=EPS=-
--
POS is variously interpreted as "Piece Of Sh*t" or "Pile Of Sh*t"
The -IX suffix means "like UNIX, only halfwitted" (e.g. XENIX, ULTRIX)

chet@thor.INS.CWRU.Edu (Chet Ramey) (06/15/91)

In article <1697@toaster.SFSU.EDU> eps@cs.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:

>There are definitely some good points to termio, but termios
>is a total crock...

I'm curious.  What are the good points of termio that termios omits?
It seems to me that termios is much cleaner than the old BSD mechanism,
and is a superset of termio that solves things like the stupid
VEOF/VMIN and VEOL/VTIME overloading.  All the BSD functionality is
there.

Chet
--
                    ``You shoot John Sununu.  Twice.''

Chet Ramey			  Internet: chet@po.CWRU.Edu
Case Western Reserve University	  NeXT Mail: chet@macbeth.INS.CWRU.Edu

UNIX is a scrawny kid from New Jersey who became something of a
local hero, but is now middle-aged with a beer gut.  Mach tries
to turn modern UNIX into RoboCop; POSIX is an attempt to make
UNIX more attractive to corporate America with silicone implants
and Tammy Fay Bakker's double-parked Maybelline truck.

					-=EPS=-