[comp.sys.next] Mac scanner on a NeXT?

robert@nextoid.UUCP (Robert Patrick Thille) (06/19/91)

From: robert%nextoid@hub.ucsb.edu
Newsgroups: comp.sys.next
Subject: Mac Scanner on a NeXT?

I recently (got it today) bought a La Cie scanner for the Macintosh
to try to use with my NeXT.  It's a 24bit color scanner with a SCSI
port.  I figured that I would possibly be able to use Scene's Scan...
menu item to scan material, but that seems not to be the case.

Symptoms:

Upon boot, when messages about what SCSI devices are attached to the
bus come up, no message about the scanner appear.  See insert:

nextoid mach: SCSI 53C90A Controller, Target 7, as sc0 at 0x2114000

nextoid mach: MAXTOR  XT-4380S as sd0 at sc0 target 0 lun 0
nextoid mach:   Disk Label: MyDisk
nextoid mach:   Disk Capacity 318MB, Device Block 512 bytes
[ slight pause ]
nextoid mach: Generic SCSI Device as sg0 at sc0 target 7 lun 7

There seems to be a pause as nextoid checks out the scanner, but
there is no indication on the scanner, and nothing is printed on the
console.

Scene says that there is no scanner available, just as it does when I
don't have the scanner plugged in.

The scanner works with my brother's mac, and is at scsi id 2, and is
internally terminated.  I don't think that the scanner has
termination problems with my NeXT, because I just had the internal
maxtor (terminated) and the scanner (terminated) hooked up.

I have an 040 cube (upgraded) and release 2.1 extended.

If someone has had success with either the La Cie, or the Microtek
scanners for Macintosh, I'd love to hear about it.  Also, I'd be
interested in seeing what sort of messages a HSD or other NeXT
compatible scanner prints on the console (simplification) during
boot.  These messages can be seen in "/private/adm/messages".  Also,
I'd appreciate any info about possibly using the scsi_generic driver
to check for the scanner's existence.

Thanks very much.

Please Email, News comes to me by mail and takes awhile...

Robert

Robert Thille                NeXT Guru......    NeXTMail
robert%nextoid@hub.ucsb.edu  NeXT Guru??????    OK At All
robert@nextoid.uucp (SLOW!)  NeXT Guru!!!!!!    E-Mail
14053 Foothill Rd. CA 93060  Well, maybe :-)    Addresses