[comp.sys.next] Mac TIFFs to NeXT

bhead@hfs.questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Bradley Head) (06/15/91)

I have a colleague who'd like to get some of his precious mac tiffs
converted to his NeXT. Is there a utility, or a "how-to" that does this?
Thanks in advance :)

Reply by email directly to: trites@sun.bdc.ubc.ca
--
Bradley Head, Headfirst Software, Vancouver BC, Canada
NeXTmail     : <bhead@hfs.questor.wimsey.bc.ca>

aozer@next.com (Ali Ozer) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun14.200538.10146@hfs.questor.wimsey.bc.ca> bhead@hfs.questor.wimsey.bc.ca writes:
>I have a colleague who'd like to get some of his precious mac tiffs
>converted to his NeXT. Is there a utility, or a "how-to" that does this?

They should "just work." (Famous last words.)
In cases where they don't, possible problems include:

- Transfer problems; if the files are not transferred as binary they will
  probably get corrupted.
- Bugs in the original TIFF image. Most TIFF 4.0 and 5.0 complaint images
  load just fine, except some (I suppose older) Mac programs are known to
  generate bad TIFFs that they themselves can digest just fine.
- Bugs in NeXT software. Icon & Scene have problems displaying some TIFFs
  properly (you get negative images); if the image displays fine in the
  Workspace inspector or Mail but doesn't in Icon you probably have such an
  image. There's a utility out there somewhere which will "fix" such files.

If you run across any TIFF files which are transferred to the NeXT properly
but still don't load or display correctly (in apps other than Icon or Scene),
send them over to me...

Ali, Ali_Ozer@NeXT.com