[comp.sys.next] Lines in Postscript on the NeXT

mfriedel@slate.mines.colorado.edu (Friedel Michael) (06/17/91)

I have lately been involved in writing a bunch of graphics code for the NeXT,
and I have noticed that the NeXT Windowmanger does not do any antialiasing
of the lines. Now the only way I have figured around this problem is to write
bitmap graphics straight to a buffer and flush the buffer to the screen. Does
anyone know an efficient way of doing this in Postscript, as I really would like
to stick to Postscript, and not go to such drastic measures as doing all the
scanline conversion and the other shmoo myself.

Any help would be appretiated
Mike
--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
No user serviceable part inside. Warranty void if opened

aozer@next.com (Ali Ozer) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun17.054324.11804@slate.mines.colorado.edu> Friedel Michael writes:
>... write bitmap graphics straight to a buffer and flush the buffer to the
>screen. Does anyone know an efficient way of doing this in Postscript ...

Pretty much the only way to get bitmap graphics to PostScript is the
image operator, or better yet, its AppKit counterparts: The
NXImageBitmap() function and the NXBitmapImageRep class.  You can
pretty much create a buffer of any depth (grayscale, RGB, or CMYK, 1,
2, 4, or 8 bits per component) and do your own drawing, and then image
it down to PostScript.

Under NeXTstep 2.x it turns out that imaging can be real efficient if
the depth & configuration of the bitmap matches that of the window
you're imaging into.  Thus it might be a good idea to ask for the
characteristics of the window you're going to draw the bitmap in and
create a buffer of the same depth...

Ali, Ali_Ozer@NeXT.com