[comp.sys.next] Request for Next to supply OS on cd-rom

jack@umbc4.umbc.edu (Jack Suess) (06/20/91)

Hello,
I am fairly new to the NeXT community, having just purchased my slab a week
ago so excuse me if this topic has been discussed before.

I would like to propose that next release the full OS developement environment
on CD-ROM. Since CD-ROM drives can be had <$400 and the mastering cost is
very low for the media a cd-rom should only add a small amount to the cost.

I would like to see the Installer understand and support
installation from cd-rom. I would also like to have the ability to launch
Apps from the cdrom. I think this offers several advantages, such as:

1) It allows users purchasing the 105 and 200 MB models to customize their
   software environment to their needs. For example I would like to propose
   to our CMSC department we recommend the purchase of NeXT machines to
   CS undergrads; however the cost effective machines (the 105 or 200MB models)
   don't have the software development environment loaded on them, thereby
   rendering them somewhat useless to a CS student.

2) Launching applications from the CD-ROM would be slow; however I would rather
   have a slow application then not have the application to begin with. In
   addition, once the application is loaded into memory the speed would be
   the same as users now experience.

3) It provides a backup of the OS software that presently is not available.
   It bothers me to recommend a machine to students where one command
   "rm -R / " can cause them to lose all their software. Making a backup of
   the slab (or the heaven forbid the 400MB model) to floppy is somewhat
   unreasonable to expect of students. Having a CD-ROM distribution would
   allow someone to re-install the system software off the CD-ROM, eliminating
   the need to backup the OS software. This would mean that users are only
   responsible for backing up their specific user files.

4) Having the cd-rom distribution provides a level of security some sites
   require. With the cd-rom distribution you can perform a checksum on
   selected files on your hard disk and verify they are the same as the
   CD distribution.

5) Using CD-ROM would allow Next to more easily update the OS and Apps. Every
   couple of months NeXT could release an update Cd-ROM with fixes that user
   sites could install.

6) Releasing the OS on CD-ROM would promote sales of Cd-ROM drives. As more
   users had cd-rom drives I think you would begin to see more applications
   available on cd-rom. Specifically, I am thinking of large text or multi-
   media datasets being released that could be accessed through the
   librarian or other Apps'.

7) Finally, if NeXT would work with Transarc and get a server version of AFS
   (Andrew File System) working the performance of the 105MB machines using
   cd-rom as their operating system would be pretty good. What I envision is
   allocating the 105mb drive as 20mb for swap, 40MB to AFS, and 45MB for user
   files. As files are accessed on the cd-rom they would be cached by AFS on
   the hard disk. With this model, you could have the complete software
   release, resonable performance and 45MB of user space on a machine that
   would cost about $3600 (105MB version + cost of a cd-rom).

My question is, do others agree with me that cd-rom would work or am I mistaken
and should I change my views? If I am right, how do we voice our views to
NeXT.

Jack Suess                           UMBC Academic Computing
Internet: Jack@umbc5.umbc.edu        Standard Disclaimer:
Bitnet: Jack@umbc                    The opinions expressed above are mine and
ATT: 301.455.2582                    not my employers.

brian@umbc4.umbc.edu (Brian Cuthie) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun20.124105.11139@umbc3.umbc.edu> jack@umbc4.umbc.edu (Jack Suess) writes:
>Hello,
>I am fairly new to the NeXT community, having just purchased my slab a week
>ago so excuse me if this topic has been discussed before.
>
>I would like to propose that next release the full OS developement environment
>on CD-ROM. Since CD-ROM drives can be had <$400 and the mastering cost is
>very low for the media a cd-rom should only add a small amount to the cost.

	(some very good points about why we should have CD-ROM on the NeXT)

>Jack Suess                           UMBC Academic Computing
>Internet: Jack@umbc5.umbc.edu        Standard Disclaimer:
>Bitnet: Jack@umbc                    The opinions expressed above are mine and
>ATT: 301.455.2582                    not my employers.

Jack makes some fine points.  I would like to add the following:

So long as we are on the CD thing, what would be really nice is if NeXT would
release the sources to some of the standard apps that ship with the box.
For example, it would be great to have the source to Digital Librarian.  While
it is a fine app, it could (like many other things) benefit from some
refinements and tweeking.  It's not clear that NeXT has anything to lose doing
this, since the apps require so much of the NeXTStep environment that they
are easier to re-write than to steal.

With the number of 'programmers' buying NeXTstations right now, wouldn't
it be neat if NeXT released the source to say, digital librarian, and then
held a contest.  Each entrant would submit an enhanced version of the program
back to NeXT for judging.  NeXT would choose the entry with the best new
features and cleanest implementation.  The author would be rewarded with a
nice new color slab.  The rest of us would be rewarded with a new Digital
Librarian with enhanced functionality.

What do you think ?

-brian