[comp.sys.next] hostname change. stupid question?

Gerhard.Moeller@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Gerhard Moeller) (06/19/91)

Hi.

Again, I might have a very stupid question:
I would like to change the name of my NeXT from localhost to something
else. I thought the rc.boot script would be the proper place to do so,
but in there stands that it is NOT the place to change the hostname. So
I tried to find out how to do it with Netinfo. I was not able to make
the correct settings, instead all crashed and I had to recover my
Netinfo base.

My problem seems to be that I do not have the Developer Library, and I
also have only the 105MB version yet (in a week I'll get another 670MB
and the extended release...

Up to now I was not able to change the hostname properly. Ok, it works
after booting, but I will change the hostname PROPERLY. What do I have
to change, and how?

Then I remember that there was a posting on how to make the NeXT show a
name during the boot-process. How was that done? And where is the
login-window tiff-file, so that I could change that as well?

	Any help would be more than appreciated, Gerhard.

PS: Remember, I have my NeXT now for 2 weeks and I know not too much of
it yet.			G.
--

+---------------------------< principiis obsta! >---------------------------+
| Gerhard Moeller, Teichstrasse 12, 2900 Oldenburg (FRG)    [Geb. 02/21/68] |

louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (06/19/91)

In article <5925@uniol.UUCP> Gerhard.Moeller@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Gerhard Moeller) writes:
>Again, I might have a very stupid question:
>I would like to change the name of my NeXT from localhost to something
>else.

Use the /NextAdmin/NetManager application.  It modifies the information in
the /etc/hostconfig file using a whiz-bang user interface.  Alternatively,
you could just edit the file directly.

louie

Gerhard.Moeller@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Gerhard Moeller) (06/20/91)

Hello everybody.
First, I want to thank all of you who replied for your help.

I still have some questions:

I changed the /etc/hostconfig as everyone would do, then the "hostname"
and "uuname -l" command worked properly. But I also wanted a NetInfo
entry.

So I changed the /:master > "localhost/local" to "myname/myname".
Then I also changed the />machine>localhost:name > "localhost" to
"myname" .

Everything's working fine, I even got the "served by" and "served"
messeges ok, also the NetManager-entry was set automatically.

Now I have two questions:
1.) 	was that what I have done ok?
2.) 	Should I change the />machine>localhost:serves > "./local" entry
	as well?

The last question is how to make the name of my machine appear in the
loginwindow. I know that this is possible, I just do not know how.
Editing the /usr/lib/NextStep/nextlogin.tiff has no effect at all. (As
one could have expected after loooking at it. It looks different than
the loginwindow actually does.)

			Thank you again for your help, Gerhard.