[net.auto] Honda CRX 16-valve

m55al@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Deepak Munjal) (02/28/86)

I just heard a rumor that a 16-valve 1.6 liter Honda CRX
is due in showrooms sometime this year.  Has anyone heard
something similar.  I know the car is out in Japan and it
is supposed to put out about 135 hp.  If this is true, I
can't wait to try one and see how Fiero's and MR-2's look
through the the rear-view mirror. :-)

simon@simon_pc.UUCP (Simon Shapiro) (03/01/86)

In article <12082@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, m55al@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Deepak Munjal) writes:
> I just heard a rumor that a 16-valve 1.6 liter Honda CRX
> is due in showrooms sometime this year.
> is supposed to put out about 135 hp.  I
> can't wait to try one and see how Fiero's and MR-2's look
> through the the rear-view mirror. :-)

Not to be nasty but, my old 1985 Saab has the 16 valve arrangement, puts
out 160+ hp, and I am sure the Honda will look very good in my rear view
mirror.

Simon.

herbie@polaris.UUCP (Herb Chong) (03/02/86)

In article <12082@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> m55al@brahms.UUCP (Deepak Munjal) writes:
>I just heard a rumor that a 16-valve 1.6 liter Honda CRX
>is due in showrooms sometime this year.  Has anyone heard
>something similar.  I know the car is out in Japan and it
>is supposed to put out about 135 hp.  If this is true, I
>can't wait to try one and see how Fiero's and MR-2's look
>through the the rear-view mirror. :-)

the Japanese Prelude Si has the 135HP 16-valve 2.0L engine.  the
16-valve CRX engine produces less horsepower (105 rings a bell).

Herb Chong...

I'm still user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

VNET,BITNET,NETNORTH,EARN: HERBIE AT YKTVMH
UUCP:  {allegra|cbosgd|cmcl2|decvax|ihnp4|seismo}!philabs!polaris!herbie
CSNET: herbie.yktvmh@ibm-sj.csnet
ARPA:  herbie.yktvmh.ibm-sj.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa, herbie%yktvmh.bitnet@wiscvm
DISCLAIMER:  what you just read was produced by pouring lukewarm
tea for 42 seconds onto 9 people chained to 6 Ouiji boards.

mr@homxb.UUCP (mark) (03/03/86)

> I just heard a rumor that a 16-valve 1.6 liter Honda CRX
> is due in showrooms sometime this year.  Has anyone heard
> something similar.  I know the car is out in Japan and it
> is supposed to put out about 135 hp.  If this is true, I
> can't wait to try one and see how Fiero's and MR-2's look
> through the the rear-view mirror. :-)

From what I understand, with the current top of the line CRX
one can see the Fiero's, MR2's, etc. in the rear view mirror.

mark

hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) (03/04/86)

In article <462@polaris.UUCP> herbie@polaris.UUCP (Herb Chong) writes:
>In article <12082@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> m55al@brahms.UUCP (Deepak Munjal) writes:
>>I just heard a rumor that a 16-valve 1.6 liter Honda CRX
>>is due in showrooms sometime this year.  Has anyone heard
>>something similar.  I know the car is out in Japan and it
>>is supposed to put out about 135 hp.  If this is true, I
>>can't wait to try one and see how Fiero's and MR-2's look
>>through the the rear-view mirror. :-)
>
>the Japanese Prelude Si has the 135HP 16-valve 2.0L engine.  the
>16-valve CRX engine produces less horsepower (105 rings a bell).
>
>Herb Chong...

I've lost the article, but Motor Trend did a piece on the 16-valve CRX about
a year ago, courtesy of an importer who wanted something around 14k apiece
(and he didn't even change it over from right-hand-drive...)

Anyhow, I remember the quoted figure for the 16-valve 1.6L engine as 135 hp JIS,
0-60 time in the mid-7's.  Oh, and the reviewer claimed about 30mpg during hard
acceleration testing, higher for normal use.  "Faster than a Z-28" was one of
the quotes bandied about.

The American Prelude Si, like previous Preludes, uses a 12-valve head,
and is only rated for 110bhp, while the not-here-yet Prelude Si 2.0-16 is
rated at 137bhp.

-dave
--
David Hsu	Communication & Signal Processing Lab, EE Department
<disclaimer>	University of Maryland,  College Park, MD 20742

"Godzilla has been spotted in Sector 5!"

georgeg@techsup (03/07/86)

well now, just what are we comparing here???
first, let me qualify just what Dr. Honda has available.
being the owner of a 1985 CRX si, I think that I may
be able to give some accurate input.

First, the New Car.    The CRX.

This car come in three versions:
     The CRX hf
     The CRX 1.5
and  The latest, the CRX si

The CRX hf is Honda's economy wizzard, which is
designed around a 1.5, 8 valve engine.
This engine will develope 58 HP.  Not the best,
but then this CRX is noted for its fuel economy.

The 1.5 CRX is the same with the addition of another
valve per cylinder, different carbueration, and
many nice features like wider tires, sway bars, ect
This engine produces 76 HP, and burns abit more fuel doing
it

The latest, The CRX si, is different still.
First, add sequential port fuel injection.
Second, add alloy wheels.
Third, add an electric sun/moon (beats me which is which) roof

Now this engine will produce 91 HP, and due to the
programmed fuel injection, give slightly better
fuel economy over the regular 1.5 CRX

Please bear in mind that we have 91 HP for a car that will
weight in at 1800 lbs dry.

Also, remember that the base cost of this car (mine) was
$7995 U.S. and if you claim that one cannot purchase this
car without paying some additional dealer profeit charge, then
perhaps find another dealer or write to HONDA U.S and ask
them what YOU get for this charge.  Letters DO work!

I may have waited awhile for my car (about six months) but then
again if I can save a $1000 or so by waiting i'd gladly do it.

Now if you wish to compare a 1.6 liter SAAB, fine.
But first, just what ARE we comparing?
If it is horsepower, the SAAB wins without question for
specification do not lie (well they shoudn't)
How about quickness?  My fuel injected CRX si will most likely
be quicker, but no dought slower at top end (which is about
124 mph straight and level but you didn't hear me say that.)
Quicker, sure...  I don't know how heavy a SAAB is but a SAAB
is noted for many things, one of which is safety, and safety
sometimes means steel, which to me means weight.
If we compare economy, then I win. 'nuff said.
How about price???   Just take a look at new cars these days.
Honda CRX si's will run with A/C $9560 U.S.
For an extra 30% more U.S. dollars, you get a SAAB.
Is the difference worth $5000?  Maybe, that is if you have it.
I don't, and the SAAB cannot perform 30% better than my Honda.
Is a SAAB 30% faster?  Can it handle the road 30% better under all
conditions?

You cannot compare the two cars equally.
I am not trying to flame the SAAB, I envy those who are sucessful
enough to own such a car.
I mearly am happy that I could get the performance for the price
that I paid.

Yes I know that I purchased a death trap, but that is another story all
together...

Let's see here, please, if you will, wait till the Honda Integra
and Acura's come to this land, and perhaps a better comparison
could be made.

Well, I hope that i haven't offended anyone...
again, I only feel that apples must be compared with like
apples, not the whole orchard

                    Cheers, and... was that YOU I passed :-)
          georgeg

         !trsvax!techsup!georgeg
.