[comp.sys.next] memory

caroma@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (Carl R. Manning) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov28.191405.25218@mp.cs.niu.edu> bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) writes:
>     Whether they have 8MB, 12MB, or even more, they'll be throwing those
>SIMMs away and replacing them as soon as they can afford to when they
>discover NeXT has stuck them with nMBx8 SIMMs rather than nMBx9's.  Jeesh.
>Nonparity memory was obsoleted in the 1950's.

Here's a question:

  What does the NeXT do if it gets a parity error?

If my machine gets hit by a cosmic ray or a chip goes bad, I don't
want my machine to crash, or worse yet, become unusable (who knows
what deadlines I might be under); it should correct the error and warn
me about it the background so I can have it fixed in the future.

As the amount of memory soars, the chances of a bit getting flipped or
a chip going bad somewhere are also on the increase.

Memory is cheap; add a few more bits and you can have ECC error
correction of single bit errors.  Perhaps futures NeXTs can be
designed for people or servers who need this much reliability, at
least as an option.  I would think that this security could be a good
selling point -- look at how 4wd cars and anti-lock brakes are selling
these days.

caroma@ai.mit.edu

kline@cs.arizona.edu (Nick Kline) (11/29/90)

In article <12081@life.ai.mit.edu> caroma@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (Carl R. Manning) writes:
>In article <1990Nov28.191405.25218@mp.cs.niu.edu> bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) writes:
>>     Whether they have 8MB, 12MB, or even more, they'll be throwing those
>>SIMMs away and replacing them as soon as they can afford to when they
>>discover NeXT has stuck them with nMBx8 SIMMs rather than nMBx9's.  Jeesh.
>>Nonparity memory was obsoleted in the 1950's.
>
>Here's a question:
>
>  What does the NeXT do if it gets a parity error?

>Memory is cheap; add a few more bits and you can have ECC error
>correction of single bit errors.  Perhaps futures NeXTs can be
>designed for people or servers who need this much reliability, at
>least as an option.  I would think that this security could be a good
>selling point -- look at how 4wd cars and anti-lock brakes are selling
>these days.
>
>caroma@ai.mit.edu

Well actually there are several nexts available with parity memory.

its an option, if you want.  Of course, it costs extra

All four machines are available with parity.

-nick
=----=
"Diane, it's 11:47 p.m., still October 31st.  I've just encountered an
 enemy of the United States government on the campus grounds.  While I
 am an employee of the aforementioned government, the subject is an extra-
 national and a leader of a sovereign nation, quite possibly placing him
 out of my jurisdiction.  I do believe, however, that he is likely host
 body for Bob."
		--Agent Cooper on encountering Saddam Hussein
kline@cs.arizona.edu

louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (11/29/90)

>Well actually there are several nexts available with parity memory.
>its an option, if you want.  Of course, it costs extra
>All four machines are available with parity.

According to the beta release notes, installing parity memory will
also introduce a wait state for memory acceses.  So it looks like you
will pay a performance penelty if you go that route.

You also have to populate the machine with either ALL parity memery or NO
parity memory.

louie

tgingric@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Tyler S Gingrich) (11/30/90)

In article <12081@life.ai.mit.edu> caroma@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (Carl R. Manning) writes:
>In article <1990Nov28.191405.25218@mp.cs.niu.edu> bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) writes:
>>     Whether they have 8MB, 12MB, or even more, they'll be throwing those
>>SIMMs away and replacing them as soon as they can afford to when they
>>discover NeXT has stuck them with nMBx8 SIMMs rather than nMBx9's.  Jeesh.
>>Nonparity memory was obsoleted in the 1950's.
>
>Memory is cheap; add a few more bits and you can have ECC error
>correction of single bit errors.  Perhaps futures NeXTs can be
>designed for people or servers who need this much reliability, at
>least as an option.  I would think that this security could be a good
>selling point -- look at how 4wd cars and anti-lock brakes are selling
>these days.

You can get ANY of the Next computers with Parity memory.  The additional
cost (list prices) is $500 on Mono systems & $1000 on Color systems.

Also, you can only order 16Mb or 32Mb parity memory systems.  This increases
the base price for any of the systems.

Tyler

smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu (Dr. William V. Smith) (11/30/90)

tgingric@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Tyler S Gingrich) writes:

>>In article <12081@life.ai.mit.edu> caroma@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu
>>(Carl R. Manning) writes:
>>In article <1990Nov28.191405.25218@mp.cs.niu.edu>
>>bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) writes:
>>>     Whether they have 8MB, 12MB, or even more, they'll be throwing those
>>>SIMMs away and replacing them as soon as they can afford to when they
>>>discover NeXT has stuck them with nMBx8 SIMMs rather than nMBx9's.  >>>Jeesh.
>>>Nonparity memory was obsoleted in the 1950's.
>>
>>Memory is cheap; add a few more bits and you can have ECC error
>>correction of single bit errors.  Perhaps futures NeXTs can be
>>designed for people or servers who need this much reliability, at
>>least as an option.  I would think that this security could be a good
>>selling point -- look at how 4wd cars and anti-lock brakes are selling

>You can get ANY of the Next computers with Parity memory.  The additional
>cost (list prices) is $500 on Mono systems & $1000 on Color systems.

>Also, you can only order 16Mb or 32Mb parity memory systems.  This increases
>the base price for any of the systems.

>Tyler

Scott has a good point here: you don't want to order parity memory with
your NeXT.  The (new) board is wired for it anyway.  So get the minimum
memory config, and buy third-party parity SIMMS, a MUCH cheaper alternative,
whether you buy min parity config from NeXT and add on third party, or
buy reg. memory config and pull out the 8 SIMMS and replace with 9 bit
third party.  Too bad NeXT doesn't ship a "no memory option" [subtracting
*their* price for the removed memory]- that was a joke, of course. Chow.

-Bill-
--
            __________________Prof. William V. Smith____________________
EMail:  smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu  or  uunet!hamblin.math.byu.edu!smithw

dkoski@hercules.as.arizona.edu (David Koski) (11/30/90)

I was wondering about the eight megs too.  The spacrstation SLC's here seem to
need more memory, but then again they have their swap space out on the network!
I asked the next rep here about memory and he said that if you need to expand,
you must do it in sets of four chips, so sell four 1M simms and get 4 more
4M simms (total of 20M memory).

David Koski

bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov29.161041.15775@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu> tgingric@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Tyler S Gingrich) writes:
>In article <12081@life.ai.mit.edu> caroma@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (Carl R. Manning) writes:
>>In article <1990Nov28.191405.25218@mp.cs.niu.edu> bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) writes:
>>>     Whether they have 8MB, 12MB, or even more, they'll be throwing those
>>>SIMMs away and replacing them as soon as they can afford to when they
>>>discover NeXT has stuck them with nMBx8 SIMMs rather than nMBx9's.  Jeesh.
>>>Nonparity memory was obsoleted in the 1950's.
>>
>>Memory is cheap; add a few more bits and you can have ECC error
>>correction of single bit errors.  Perhaps futures NeXTs can be
>>designed for people or servers who need this much reliability, at
>>least as an option.  I would think that this security could be a good
>>selling point -- look at how 4wd cars and anti-lock brakes are selling
>>these days.

     A closer analogy would be to ask oneself whether one would like
to buy a car that had no indicators (not even idiot lights) for high
coolant temperature, low oil pressure, electrical net discharge, etc.

>You can get ANY of the Next computers with Parity memory.  The additional

     Really?  Was it an option on the 68030 cubes?  Can the 68030 boards
handle nMbx9 SIMMs?  My machine is a brand-new, old machine (from B'land's
oversold demo unit clearance:-), so if I can replace the garbage that's
in it with civilized memory, I'd like to know.

>cost (list prices) is $500 on Mono systems & $1000 on Color systems.
>
>Also, you can only order 16Mb or 32Mb parity memory systems.  This increases

     Does anyone know the reason for the restriction?

And in article <1990Nov29.130142.15813@ni.umd.edu> louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) writes:
>>Well actually there are several nexts available with parity memory.
>>its an option, if you want.  Of course, it costs extra
>>All four machines are available with parity.
>
>According to the beta release notes, installing parity memory will
>also introduce a wait state for memory acceses.  So it looks like you
>will pay a performance penelty if you go that route.

     Why on earth (or anywhere else) would they introduce a wait state
for normal (i.e. parity) memory?  All this is starting to make me think
NeXT has a hidden, dark side sort of like Apple's...

>You also have to populate the machine with either ALL parity memery or NO
>parity memory.

     Well, of course.
     BTW, does anyone know where I can get some useful documentation of
the hardware and documentation beyond the novice user level for the
software?  The _NeXT_User_Reference_ manual that came with the machine
refers to a _NeXT_System_Reference_ manual, but NeXT, Inc. claims that
this manual is no longer available.

>louie

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
                                  Systems Programming
                                  Northern Illinois University
                                  DeKalb, Illinois 60115
* Internet:       bennett@cs.niu.edu                                 *
* BITNET:         A01SJB1@NIU                                        *
*++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++*
*  Visit the scenic Illinois Craters!  Just 10 minutes               *
*  from New Chicago!                                                 *

cs3ea3by@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Andrew Tyldesley) (11/30/90)

I have ordered the basic slab will I be able to upgrade my memory at a later
date to the optional parity setup at a reasonable price or is this something
that is only available when the machine is ordered. Thanks...

		Tills

caroma@wheat-chex.ai.mit.edu (Carl R. Manning) (12/01/90)

In article <1990Nov30.013031.25032@mp.cs.niu.edu> bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) writes:
>In article <1990Nov29.161041.15775@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu> tgingric@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Tyler S Gingrich) writes:
>>In article <12081@life.ai.mit.edu> caroma@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (Carl R. Manning) writes:
>>>Memory is cheap; add a few more bits and you can have ECC error
>>>correction of single bit errors.  Perhaps futures NeXTs can be
>>>designed for people or servers who need this much reliability, at
>>>least as an option.
>>
>>You can get ANY of the Next computers with Parity memory.
>
>>someone else writes:
>>>Well actually there are several nexts available with parity memory.
>>>its an option, if you want.  Of course, it costs extra
>>>All four machines are available with parity.

Some people seem to have jumped onto this thread late, so I'll repeat
and reword parts of my posting:

I realize that the NeXT can have parity memory; my original question
remains unanswered: What does the NeXT do when it gets a memory parity
error?  (e.g. Does it lock up the machine immediately?  Or does it report
the error and allow you to decide whether to try continuing?  If the
error is in memory which isn't critical to what I'm doing, I'd rather
not lose all my work with a crashed machine -- at least give me the
chance to try to save what work I can.)

I have a feeling some people may be missing part of the point of my
posting.  As the amount of memory increases, the chances go up that a
bit will get flipped by a passing cosmic ray or that some chip or part
of a chip will go bad.  Parity memory adds one bit to each word, which
allows detection of single bit errors.  ECC (error correction code)
memory adds a few more bits, which add enough redundancy so that words
can be correctly reconstructed even if some bit(s) go bad.  A common
form of ECC allows single bit error correction and double bit error
detection.  Thus, it is possible to organize memory so that a passing
cosmic ray or single failing chip needn't stop your machine; this
security can be an important selling point for people who depend on
their machine to accomplish their work.

So I suggest the next generation NeXT's might offer the option of
error correcting code memory rather than just parity.  Ordinary PC's
offer parity; more `premium' PC's and workstations offer ECC.

-- CarlManning

blenko-tom@cs.yale.edu (Tom Blenko) (12/01/90)

|...  As the amount of memory increases, the chances go up that a
|bit will get flipped by a passing cosmic ray or that some chip or part
|of a chip will go bad.  Parity memory adds one bit to each word, which
|allows detection of single bit errors.  ECC (error correction code)
|memory adds a few more bits, which add enough redundancy so that words
|can be correctly reconstructed even if some bit(s) go bad.  A common
|form of ECC allows single bit error correction and double bit error
|detection.  Thus, it is possible to organize memory so that a passing
|cosmic ray or single failing chip needn't stop your machine; this
|security can be an important selling point for people who depend on
|their machine to accomplish their work.

First, there are a variety of ways that memories fail, and "a few more
bits" are not going to address all of them.  There are always cost ($$
and performance)/reliability tradeoffs.  I presume NeXT is offering the
option in order to garner government purchases (which sometimes require
parity memory).

Second, the subject of parity vs. non-parity memories has been
discussed at length in other newsgroups. It is usually non-productive:
not everyone's needs are the same, and the people with the most
loudly-voiced opinions often seem to know the least. Hence I suggest
NOT repeating the exercise here.

	Tom

kenb@amc-gw.amc.com (Ken Birdwell) (12/01/90)

>caroma@wheat-chex.ai.mit.edu (Carl R. Manning) writes:
>
>I realize that the NeXT can have parity memory; my original question
>remains unanswered: What does the NeXT do when it gets a memory parity
>error?  (e.g. Does it lock up the machine immediately?  Or does it report
>the error and allow you to decide whether to try continuing?  If the
>error is in memory which isn't critical to what I'm doing, I'd rather
>not lose all my work with a crashed machine -- at least give me the
>chance to try to save what work I can.)

>[stuff about cosmic rays causing parity errors and EEC and stuff]

I suppose that the process that got the parity error could get a SIGBUS
error.  I'm sorry but it's really dangerous to keep running after that sort
of thing happens.  On most UNIX system you'll get a 'panic: parity error'
with no idea of where and the system will shut itself off.  Now this is alot
better then doing stuff like, spewing to a now random file handle or jumping
into a function that formats your hard disk or at a minimun trashes all your
saved data because some comparison failed or whatever but I agree, powering
down is nasty.  I think that killing the process (if possible; if parity
error occured in the schedular, youre screwed) is a resonable thing to do.
Its kinds nice to not let your program go into Lala-land without telling you.
Just think of it as a random SEGV, and I know of no-one who thinks it's
resonable to continue after one of those (except for Mac and DOS people :^).

--

scott@next-5.gac.edu (Scott Hess) (12/02/90)

In article <4326@amc-gw.amc.com> kenb@amc-gw.amc.com (Ken Birdwell) writes:

>I suppose that the process that got the parity error could get a SIGBUS
>error.  I'm sorry but it's really dangerous to keep running after that sort
>of thing happens.  On most UNIX system you'll get a 'panic: parity error'
>with no idea of where and the system will shut itself off.  Now this is alot
>better then doing stuff like, spewing to a now random file handle or jumping
>into a function that formats your hard disk or at a minimun trashes all your
>saved data because some comparison failed or whatever but I agree, powering
>down is nasty.  I think that killing the process (if possible; if parity
>error occured in the schedular, youre screwed) is a resonable thing to do.
>Its kinds nice to not let your program go into Lala-land without telling you.
>Just think of it as a random SEGV, and I know of no-one who thinks it's
>resonable to continue after one of those (except for Mac and DOS people :^).

Best solution (IMHO) is to get sent a SEGV-like signal, but let it work
more like SIGSTOP.  Then, the user can choose whether to screw over their
machine, or not . . . In _most_ processes, it's not that big of a deal
(max loss, probably a file or so), but setuid processes would be
dangerous to do this on, so only let the superuser continue those.

Another parallel process that should be taking place is that the
swapper should mark that page bad, and take appropriate action
based on that.  For one, don't let anyone use that page, now.  Also,
many faults of this type can be survived, for instance if it occurs in
a code segment (just re-read from the executable), or in a file
mapped to memory, which would be similar (well, if read-only).

Boy, this sounds like fun!  I don't envy whoever's putting this stuff
together :-)
--
scott hess
scott@gac.edu

ccastcr@prism.gatech.EDU (Russo, Chris A.) (12/04/90)

   I realize how parity is useful in communications type applications where
stuff can get lost, but how is parity useful in on board ram?

   Just wondering.

--
Russo, Chris A.
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!ccastcr

koverber@hawk.ulowell.edu (Kurt Overberg) (12/06/90)

In article <18042@hydra.gatech.EDU> ccastcr@prism.gatech.EDU (Russo, Chris A.) writes:

>   I realize how parity is useful in communications type applications where
>stuff can get lost, but how is parity useful in on board ram?

	Yes, even RAM is susceptable to errors.

	It is useful as far as error detection and correction.  If you
	have a memory error, parity ram will try to correct the error at
	much as possible.  I have heard (no proof) that parity ram is
	required on all hospital (medical) computers, but then again, this
	is not substantiated.  The actual helpfulness of parity ram is,
	however, questionable.

>   Just wondering.

	Hope this helps.

>--
>Russo, Chris A.
>Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
>uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!ccastcr
>Internet: ccastcr@prism.gatech.edu

+--------------------------+--------------------------------------------------+
|   This space             |  "There once was a time when      (   ACK ! )    |
|         for rent         |   my life was so wonderful..."     (_______)     |
|                          |  "Then they sent me away, taught me     o        |
|#include <stddisclaim.h>  |   how to be logical...sensible,         o        |
|--------------------------|   rational, a vegetable..."           _   /|     |
|koverber@hawk.ulowell.edu |              -Supertramp              \`o.O'     |
+--------------------------+--------------------------------------------------+

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (12/07/90)

In article <1567@ulowell.ulowell.edu> koverber@hawk.ulowell.edu (Kurt Overberg) writes:

>	It is useful as far as error detection and correction.  If you
>	have a memory error, parity ram will try to correct the error at
Not true parity and error correction are totally different.  1 bit parity
(basically an XOR of all the bits) like on IBM PCs, optional  on Macs,
and I suppose the NeXT will only detect a bit flipping if 2 bit flip
1-->0  and 0--> you don't get a parity error with one bit detection.

Error correction is a different animal entirely.  It requires more bits,
more complicated logic etc.
>       much as possible.  I have heard (no proof) that parity ram is
>       required on all hospital (medical) computers, but then again, this
>	is not substantiated.  The actual helpfulness of parity ram is,
>	however, questionable.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Depends on if you halt the system, or issue an interrupt that has a
sevice routine that asks if you would like to continue or not.
If your doing a critical calc. that has to be right you don't want a
bit flipping in the MSB,  but if your doing word processing 1 bit in 1
character isn't going to make a bit of diff. if you go back and proofread.

--
/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */

mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) (12/07/90)

Speaking of memory, is it okay if I just steal the SIMMs from my Mac II, and
put them into my Cube? They are 80ns 1meg SIMMs, for what it's worth.

MikeC

Michael D. Callaghan,MDC Designs, University of Merryland
mikec@wam.umd.edu

tjb@unhd.UNH.EDU (Thomas J. Baker) (01/09/91)

I recently got my '030 cube and am in the process of upgrading it.  I
currently have 8 1mb simms installed and I am debating the pros and
cons of getting an additional 8 1mb simms for a total of 16mb or 4 4mb
simms for a total of 24mb.  The extra cash saved on 8 1mb (4*~190=750 -
8*~40=320 == $430) would go towards a 9600 baud modem to greatly enhance
uucp connectivity, currently 2400 baud.  The 9600 baud modem would also
be great for SLIP or PPP.

Is there a significant improvement from 16mb to 24mb?

Any recommendations of vendors?

(By the way, there is a pretty good intro article on SLIP and PPP on page 33
in the 7 January Unix Today.)

Thanks in advance.

tjb

| Thomas J. Baker                            INTERNET: tjb@unhd.unh.edu    |
| Computing and Information Services           USENET: uunet!unhd!tjb      |
| Kingsbury Hall, University of New Hampshire  BITNET: T_BAKER@UNHH.BITNET |
| Durham, NH 03824                             Voice: (603) 862-4490       |
|                                                                          |
|                     NeXT: IceCube!tjb@unhd.unh.edu                       |
|__________________________________________________________________________|

zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) (06/14/91)

In article <SCOTT.91Jun14003836@mcs-server.gac.edu> scott@mcs-server.gac.edu (Scott Hess) writes:

>[ Lastly, some flamage.  Alot of people make fun of EPS (and
>  lately, myself) for our insistance that no matter the
>  raw performance of your CPU, you really are going to need
>  the memory and disk space.  Rather than attempt to argue,
>  as most apparently don't listen, I would advise anyone
>  who's doubtful to go out and find a NextStation400M
>  w/16M or 32M of memory, and a 105M machine with 8M, and
>  do a side-by-side comparison.  It will literally blow your
>  socks off.  We're not talking fractions of a second
>  differences here - in many cases, it's order of _magnitude_.
>  For instance, launch Edit on a file on the 105/8 machine.
>  Then, on the 400/16 machine.  The 400/16 is fast enough
>  that you really don't notice the launch time, while the 105/8
>  takes long enough that you start to get up to pace the room.
>  That's the difference between enjoying your time on the machine,
>  and spending it in frustration . . .]
>
>Later,
>scott hess                      scott@gac.edu

I would be interested in getting some hard numbers on how much faster a
16 meg machine is compared to an 8 meg machine. Opinions that I have heard
range from "worlds of difference" to "doesn't help at all".

I would guess that whether memory helps r doesn't help is largely a function
of how you have your machine set up and how you use your machine.

For example, I have a 200/8 standalone, an only run one or two apps at
a time with the Preference App hidden.  Launching an app can take between
5 and 15 seconds.  (The screen isn't large enough to run more then one or
two Apps at a time :-))

We have noticed that a 200/8 network machine tends to do a lot more swapping
to disk, and the Launch time is greater.  This machine was just upgraded
to a 200/16 (with parity).  The owner commented that he did not see that
great of speed improvement.

Launch time should mostly be a function of the hard disk speed (or network)
and the amount of memory that is being used for data.  The text (instruction)
memory should not be paged back to disk.  Relaunching a hidden App would
of course be faster if it had not been swapped out to memory.  Do the
people who notice a big speed increase tend to run many Apps at the same
time?  When you say "Launch", are you talking about the first launch, or
launching from a hidden state?

Please do not take the above comments to mean that I don't believe Scott and
EPS when they say that more memory helps.  I am considering purchasing more
memory, and want to know if it will make the machine respone that much faster.
As such, I would like to understand the context in which Scott and EPS are
making their claims.

****

BTW, if you really want to see a machine bog down, run mm.  I have heard
that when our DEC 3100s is running 4 copies of mm, it can take up to
30 seconds to read the mail.txt file.  That's on a machine with 24 Meg of
memory.

***

Andrew
zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (06/14/91)

Unfortunately, I have no way of doing side-by-side comparisons.
But upgrading memory from 8MB to 20MB (which is, IMHO the most
economical upgrade) made a real difference in the speed of things like
TeX (the NeXT is the fastest TeX-machine I have ever run on) and
Mathematica.
When I had 8 MB and ran Mathematica anything else seemed to run at a
snail's pace. With the 20 MB my patience never gets taxed. I presume
for heavy Mathematica use 32 MB is preferable. Let's hope that
Mathematica 2.0 is less of a memory-hog.
Same was true for XNeXT -- with 8 MB it was really sluggish.

Greetings,
Hardy
			  -------****-------
Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy);  Department of Physics, University of California
Irvine CA 92717; (714) 856 5543; hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu or MMAYER@UCI.BITNET

gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) (06/15/91)

Speaking of memory...

In MacWeek I noticed that Newer Technology is selling 8Mbyte and 16Mbyte
SIMM's.  The price for these is certainly out of my range at the moment, but I
was wondering whether the NeXT can work with these sizes of SIMMs if someone
wanted to buy them.

I figure a NeXT with 128Mbytes of memory would be really nice (if I can get
someone else to buy me one... :-)

 -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Garance Alistair Drosehn   = gad@rpi.edu  or  gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
ITS Systems Programmer                       (handles NeXT-type mail)
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute;  Troy NY  USA

prie@escher.cc.rochester.edu (Tod Rieger) (06/15/91)

     Seymour Cray foresaw that processor performance would
far outstrip I/O throughput. Consequently, Cray computers
do not have virtual memory: either your application is
entirely in physical memory or it's not running.

     Upgrading my standalone slab to 16Mb has all but
eliminated swapping -- only Improv's Presentation Builder
has a hint of it. TeX simply flies.

     Since disk I/O is limiting the 8Mb 040 on large apps,
a faster processor must be accompanied by more memory (as
EPS and Hess have stated) if there is to be any speedup.

     NeXTime.

scott@mcs-server.gac.edu (Scott Hess) (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun14.125927.18256@neon.Stanford.EDU> zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) writes:
   In article <SCOTT.91Jun14003836@mcs-server.gac.edu> scott@mcs-server.gac.edu (Scott Hess) writes:

   >[ Lastly, some flamage.  Alot of people make fun of EPS (and
   >  lately, myself) for our insistance that no matter the
   >  raw performance of your CPU, you really are going to need
   >  the memory and disk space.  Rather than attempt to argue,
   >  as most apparently don't listen, I would advise anyone
   >  who's doubtful to go out and find a NextStation400M
   >  w/16M or 32M of memory, and a 105M machine with 8M, and
   >  do a side-by-side comparison.  It will literally blow your
   >  socks off.  We're not talking fractions of a second
   >  differences here - in many cases, it's order of _magnitude_.
   >  For instance, launch Edit on a file on the 105/8 machine.
   >  Then, on the 400/16 machine.  The 400/16 is fast enough
   >  that you really don't notice the launch time, while the 105/8
   >  takes long enough that you start to get up to pace the room.
   >  That's the difference between enjoying your time on the machine,
   >  and spending it in frustration . . .]

   I would be interested in getting some hard numbers on how much faster a
   16 meg machine is compared to an 8 meg machine. Opinions that I have heard
   range from "worlds of difference" to "doesn't help at all".

That's tough.  The problem is that the machine is actually not really
much "faster".  For instance, it won't calculate a small picture of
a Mandelbrot set any faster.  Anything that can fit in memory will
run about the same speed with the extra memory.

What really is noticeable is the launch speed of apps and the like.
When I lauch Edit on a file on a 105/8 machine on a network, the
disk goes crazy - swapping, I assume.  At the very least, launching
the same way on a 105/16 machine does not have nearly the disk
activity.  The time difference is something like 16-20s to 3-5s,
which is respectable.  That's on a network file, not a local file
(shave maybe a second or two, then :-).

Of course, once you're editing a document, it makes no difference.
But, many people, I've found, don't spend all their time in a
single document of a single app.  Well, I don't, and most people
I work with don't.  Then again, these are mostly developers and
sysadmins, so they don't spend much time in a single window, but jump
between them alot.  That's where the memory really makes a difference.

   We have noticed that a 200/8 network machine tends to do a lot more swapping
   to disk, and the Launch time is greater.  This machine was just upgraded
   to a 200/16 (with parity).  The owner commented that he did not see that
   great of speed improvement.

One thing we noticed here (Well, actually, Gustavus is "here", even
though I'm not there at this time) is that when the netboot clients
(accelerator disk+8M memory) were upgraded from '030 to '040, there
was no noticeable speed increase.  When either the '030 or the '040
was upgraded to 12M or 16M, there was a noticeable increase.

   Launch time should mostly be a function of the hard disk speed (or network)
   and the amount of memory that is being used for data.  The text (instruction)
   memory should not be paged back to disk.  Relaunching a hidden App would
   of course be faster if it had not been swapped out to memory.  Do the
   people who notice a big speed increase tend to run many Apps at the same
   time?  When you say "Launch", are you talking about the first launch, or
   launching from a hidden state?

Well, hard disk speed makes a difference, but I think memory makes more.
For instance, I run IB, Stuart, Workspace, Edit, TimeMon, IconBounce,
and Background constantly.  The last three don't really count, as they'll
quickly achieve a small working set of pages, as I don't touch them
after they launch.

IB is a large app.  The main thing is that it doesn't use the
shared libraries, for the most part.  So, it looses alot of memory
to that.  Stuart's small, as is Edit, but Workspace is relatively
large, also.  And Edit can be large, if you're editing lots of
files.  Most of my switching is from Edit to Stuart, with Workspace
being a distant third, and IB way back there.

You can notice the difference between 8M and 16M even when switching
between Edit and Stuart, but it's not too bad.  You can really notice
when switching to a Workspace you've not touched in a couple minutes
(when you've been editing/compiling, etc).  And you _really_ notice
when you call up IB, or any other app that's sat in the background
for awhile (like 20 or 30 minutes).  On the 16M system, there really
isn't a whole lot of difference when switching between any of the
apps I list, unless you've let them run for a long time.  On an 8M
system, you really can tell.

I'll give a short list of some launch times for a couple apps on the
NeXT.  These are not hard& fast measurements.  It's a relatively
unloaded system, and I'm basically estimating the times.  The hardware
is a stock NextStation400/16, with nothing else (except the modem I'm
talking to you through):

Edit:			1.5s
Edit on /etc/termcap:	<3s
IB:			3s
Librarian:		4s
Mail:			<3s
Preferences:		5s
Preview:		<2s
WriteNow:		3s
Stuart:			3s
Improv:			4s
Diagram:		5s
IconBounce:		1.5s
WordPerfect:		7s
SoftPC:			4s

Alas, I've not got Mathematica on my system, so can't really test
it.

Later,
--
scott hess                      scott@gac.edu
Independent NeXT Developer	Graduated GAC Undergrad!

In article <1991Jun14.125927.18256@neon.Stanford.EDU>
	zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) writes:
>I would be interested in getting some hard numbers on how much faster a
>16 meg machine is compared to an 8 meg machine. Opinions that I have heard
>range from "worlds of difference" to "doesn't help at all".
>
>I would guess that whether memory helps r doesn't help is largely a function
>of how you have your machine set up and how you use your machine.

Uh-huh.  For example, if you change /etc/ttys to run a getty on
the console, and dispense with all the NextStep stuff, 8MB might
actually be viable.  A machine running 2.0/2.1 "doing nothing"
wants 13MB *real memory* in order to keep the "overhead" stuff
resident--more on a Color machine.  That doesn't leave much
breathing room for Apps.  An 8MB machine is *guaranteed* to
thrash in normal use.  All the MIPS in the world don't make a bit
of difference if the processor is waiting for pageins.  Faster
disk transfer rates and smaller seek times don't do YOU a heck of
a lot of good if the drive is constantly paging instead of
accessing YOUR data.

>Please do not take the above comments to mean that I don't believe Scott and
>EPS when they say that more memory helps.  I am considering purchasing more
>memory, and want to know if it will make the machine respone that much faster.
>As such, I would like to understand the context in which Scott and EPS are
>making their claims.

There's a strange schizophrenia about comp.sys.next...
"More MIPS!  More MIPS!  RISC this, RISC that.  Power, power,
speed, speed, speed!  Faster, faster, FASTER!!!" along with
"but *I* can live with 8MB, *I* can live with 200MB disk, *I*
can live with 2400 bps modems, it's OK if it takes 4 minutes
to print a page, 10 minutes to log in, it only takes a
hundred floppy disks to back up my files..."

There's a certain point of diminishing returns, granted,
but it's a lot closer to 32MB than it is to 8MB.

If I'm running Terminal+Edit+Librarian+IB (not an unusual
combination), there's an obvious difference between 16MB and
20MB.  If I'm just running just one of those, there isn't--but
that's not normal!  Once you learn that you CAN run more than one
App at a time, and that it's advantageous to do so (especially
considering how well-integrated things are), it's hard to imagine
using the NeXT like a you-know-what computer.

Q. Who'd want a sports car with a motorcycle-sized fuel tank?
A. "Who cares, if you get laid."

Sigh...

					-=EPS=-

zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) (06/15/91)

In article <1720@toaster.SFSU.EDU> eps@cs.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>In article <1991Jun14.125927.18256@neon.Stanford.EDU>
>	zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) writes:
>>I would be interested in getting some hard numbers on how much faster a
>>16 meg machine is compared to an 8 meg machine. Opinions that I have heard
>>range from "worlds of difference" to "doesn't help at all".
>>
>>I would guess that whether memory helps r doesn't help is largely a function
>>of how you have your machine set up and how you use your machine.
>
>Uh-huh.  For example, if you change /etc/ttys to run a getty on
>the console, and dispense with all the NextStep stuff, 8MB might
>actually be viable.  A machine running 2.0/2.1 "doing nothing"
>wants 13MB *real memory* in order to keep the "overhead" stuff
>resident--more on a Color machine.  That doesn't leave much
>breathing room for Apps.  An 8MB machine is *guaranteed* to
>thrash in normal use.  All the MIPS in the world don't make a bit
>of difference if the processor is waiting for pageins.  Faster
>disk transfer rates and smaller seek times don't do YOU a heck of
>a lot of good if the drive is constantly paging instead of
>accessing YOUR data.
>
>>Please do not take the above comments to mean that I don't believe Scott and
>>EPS when they say that more memory helps.  I am considering purchasing more
>>memory, and want to know if it will make the machine respone that much faster.
>>As such, I would like to understand the context in which Scott and EPS are
>>making their claims.
>
>There's a strange schizophrenia about comp.sys.next...
>"More MIPS!  More MIPS!  RISC this, RISC that.  Power, power,
>speed, speed, speed!  Faster, faster, FASTER!!!" along with
>"but *I* can live with 8MB, *I* can live with 200MB disk, *I*
>can live with 2400 bps modems, it's OK if it takes 4 minutes
>to print a page, 10 minutes to log in, it only takes a
>hundred floppy disks to back up my files..."
>
>There's a certain point of diminishing returns, granted,
>but it's a lot closer to 32MB than it is to 8MB.
>
>If I'm running Terminal+Edit+Librarian+IB (not an unusual
>combination), there's an obvious difference between 16MB and
>20MB.  If I'm just running just one of those, there isn't--but
>that's not normal!  Once you learn that you CAN run more than one
>App at a time, and that it's advantageous to do so (especially
>considering how well-integrated things are), it's hard to imagine
>using the NeXT like a you-know-what computer.
>
>Q. Who'd want a sports car with a motorcycle-sized fuel tank?
>A. "Who cares, if you get laid."
>
>Sigh...
>
>					-=EPS=-

Maybe I didn't make myself clear in my original posting.  I have
heard conflicting reports whether additional memory makes a significant
performance improvement on the NeXT.  As such, I asked for specific metrics
of improvement, not for comments like
  it's OK if it takes 4 minutes to print a page,
  10 minutes to log in, etc.
Such comments really don't help, and only clutter the already overcrowded
newsgroup.

I would still like to hear from people about the performance of their
machines.  Please include whether the machine is standalone or networked,
amount of memory, the type (size) of HD, and the Apps that you run at the
same time. (Thanks)

BTW, I do use my NeXT like a you-know-what computer (a DEC 3100).  Even with
the 8 Meg limit, I'm pretty happy with it.

Andrew
zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu

PS.  Its not really that hard to make a machine perform poorly, what
is hard is to get the best performance out of a particular configuration.

In article <1991Jun15.085335.4605@neon.Stanford.EDU>
	zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) writes:
>Maybe I didn't make myself clear in my original posting.  I have
>heard conflicting reports whether additional memory makes a significant
>performance improvement on the NeXT.  As such, I asked for specific metrics
>of improvement

What's important is what the end-user sees.  Quoting statistics
is pretty useless, since they can be made to prove whatever point
you want.

If you want comparable measurements, tell us WHAT you want
measured and HOW you want it measured.  You haven't done that.

If you're seriously interested in how RAM affects performance
->for what YOU want to use the machine for<-, find yourself a
32MB machine with the same peripherals, and follow the procedure
given in NextAnswers' misc.575.  And yes, you have to do it
YOURSELF.

Otherwise, you're going to get what you ask for, but not the
answers you really want.

					-=EPS=-

barry@joshua.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) (06/16/91)

In article <SCOTT.91Jun15011146@mcs-server.gac.edu> scott@mcs-server.gac.edu (Scott Hess) writes:

>I'll give a short list of some launch times for a couple apps on the
>NeXT.  These are not hard& fast measurements.  It's a relatively
>unloaded system, and I'm basically estimating the times.  The hardware
>is a stock NextStation400/16, with nothing else (except the modem I'm
>talking to you through):

I'll throw in some comparison times from my home machine, which
is a NeXT Cube, *030*, 8MB RAM, 330MB Maxtor HD (68MB free)
(timed using the Preferences clock with seconds showing)

>Edit:			1.5s
                       22s
>IB:			3s
                       22s
>Librarian:		4s
                       24s
>Mail:			<3s
                       19s
>Preferences:		5s
                       25s
>Preview:		<2s
                       12s
>WriteNow:		3s
                       16s
>Stuart:         	3s
                       18s
>Improv                 4s
                       25s
>Diagram:		5s
                       59s
>Mathematica           --
                       22s

There's a whole lotta swapping going on when I do these things, too.
When I add 4MB RAM shortly, I expect it to make a big improvement.

Her's a snapshot of my ambient processes for the above experiments:
(If you have any tips to speed things up, let me know!)

feynman>ps -augx
USER  %CPU %MEM VSIZE RSIZE TT STAT  TIME COMMAND
root       121  27.9  2.0 1.24M  160K  a R    166h h- std.9600 ttya (getty)
me         878  14.3 33.4 7.43M 2.67M ?  S   374:03 - console (WindowServer)
root      5854  12.8  6.5 1.60M  536 2 R     0:00 ps -augx
root      5792  12.6 14.0 3.52M 1.12M ?  S     1:50 /NextApps/Terminal -MachLau
me        5845   2.8  4.7 1.34M  384K p2 S     0:01 - (csh)
root         2   0.0  1.8 1.27M  144K co S     0:40 /etc/mach_init -xx
root         3   0.0  0.0 2.39M    0K ?  S     0:02 /usr/etc/kern_loader -n
root        52   0.0  1.2 1.24M   96K ?  SW    0:07 /usr/etc/syslogd
root        57   0.0  2.1 4.37M  168K ?  S N   0:49 /usr/etc/nmserver
root        61   0.0  0.7 1.23M   56K ?  SW    0:08 /usr/etc/portmap
root        64   0.0  0.7 1.25M   56K ?  SW    0:09 /usr/etc/nibindd
root        -1   0.0  0.0    0K    0K ?  S     0:00 <mach-task>
root        68   0.0  1.2 1.33M   96K ?  SW    5:34 /usr/etc/lookupd
root        77   0.0  0.0 1.24M    0K ?  SW    0:00 /usr/etc/inetd
root        -1   0.0  0.0    0K    0K ?  SW S  0:00 <mach-task>
root       8i8   0.0  0.4 1.29M   32K ?  SW    0:05 /usr/lib/lpd
root        93   0.0  2.1 1.70M  7 6K ?  SW    1:14 /usr/etc/pbs
root         1   0.0  0.2 1.31M   16K ?  SW    0:01 /usr/etc/init -xx
root        -1   0.0  0.0    0K    0K ?  ?W<   0:00 <mach-task>
root        -1   0.0  0.0   0 K    0K ?  S     1:14 <mach-task>
root       112   0.0  0.8 1.31M   64K ?  SW    1:10 update
root       115   0.0  1.5 1.31M  120K ?  SW    0:50 cron
root        65   0.0  1.0 1.29M   80K ?  SW    4:13 /usr/etc/netinfod local
root        83   0.0  0.8 1.34M   64K ?  SW    0:08 /usr/libsiendmail -bd -q1h
root       7K9   0.0  0.4 2.79M   32K ?  SW    0:14 - console (loginwindow)
root        -1   0.0  0.0    0K    0K ?  S     0:39 <mach-task>
me        4171   0.0  8.1 6.16M  664K ?  S     8:12 /usr/lib/NextStep/Workspace
me        4172   0.0  0.0 1.25M    0K p0 SW    0:00 Console Daemon
me        5436   0.0  3.1 3.66M  256K ?  SW    0:04 /NextApps/Webster -MachLaun
root        95   0.0  0.4 1.34M   32K ?  S N   0:03 /usr/etc/autodiskmount
me        5793   0.0  1.3 1.34M  104K p1 SW    0:01 - (csh)
me        5803   0.0  0.9  824K   72K p1 SW    0:03 kermit
me        5804   0.0  0.9  824K   72K p1 SW    1:06 kermit
root      582 e  0.0  . 9 3.52M  480K ?  S     0:06 /NextApps/Preferences -Mach
root        98   0.0  1.9 3.97M  152K ?  S     5:38 /usr/lib/NextPrinter/npd
root         0   0.0 20.0 14.2M 1.60M ?  R    238r8  (kernel idle)
Barry Merriman
UCLA Dept. of Math
UCLA Inst. for Fusion and Plasma Research
barry@math.ucla.edu (Internet)   barry@arnold.math.ucla.edu (NeXTMail)

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) (06/16/91)

In article <1991Jun15.193723.14916@math.ucla.edu> barry@math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) writes:
>In article <SCOTT.91Jun15011146@mcs-server.gac.edu> scott@mcs-server.gac.edu (Scott Hess) writes:
>>
>>I'll give a short list of some launch times for a couple apps on the
>>NeXT.  These are not hard& fast measurements.  It's a relatively
>>unloaded system, and I'm basically estimating the times.  The hardware
>>is a stock NextStation400/16, with nothing else (except the modem I'm
>>talking to you through):
>
>I'll throw in some comparison times from my home machine, which
>is a NeXT Cube, *030*, 8MB RAM, 330MB Maxtor HD (68MB free)
>(timed using the Preferences clock with seconds showing)

And here are times from my office machine, which is a
NeXTStation 105/8 running off a network. I'll denote
launches by "net" and "loc" to indicate wether it was an app on
local disk or on a disk on the network (incidentally, the network
disk I mount is on a Cube/040/24MB/330MBMaxtor)

>>Edit:			1.5s
>                       22s
                        10s (net)

>>IB:			3s
>                       22s
                        10s (net)

>>Librarian:		4s
>                       24s
                        14s (net)

>>Mail:			<3s
>                       19s
                         4s (net)

>>Preferences:		5s
>                       25s
                         8s (net)

>>Preview:		<2s
>                       12s
                         6s (net)

>>WriteNow:		3s
>                       16s
                         6s (net)

>>Stuart:         	3s
>                       18s
                         5s (net)

>>Improv                 4s
>                       25s
                        15s (loc)

>>Diagram:		5s
>                       59s
                        13s (loc)

>>Mathematica           --
>                       22s
                        11s (net)

When I launch local stuff, there is swapping that occurs. I expect
this to get much better when I upgrade to 20MB RAM, shortly; judging
from the above stats, I could get a factor of 3 in launch times.
Note that the change from 030->040 gave roughly a factor of 2--3
improvement as well.

--
Barry Merriman
UCLA Dept. of Math
UCLA Inst. for Fusion and Plasma Research
barry@math.ucla.edu (Internet)   barry@arnold.math.ucla.edu (NeXTMail)

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (06/16/91)

 For "comparison" here are my launch times  on a 400/20MB slab;
When the applications were launched I had the following running:
Emacs,
Stuart with two shells
Cassandra with the screensaver
Kermit.
After launch all applications remained in place.

Edit 1.2 s

Mathematica  <6 s

WriteNow   <6 s

Improv with API kit < 12 s

Stuart (reopening)  <2 s

and above all  TeX:

hardy{tex/Wavelets}[54>time latex wavelets
This is CTeX, NeXT Version 3.1a
(wavelets.tex
LaTeX Version 2.09 <7 Dec 1989>
(/usr/lib/tex/inputs/report.sty
Document Style `report' <13 Nov 89>.
(/usr/lib/tex/inputs/sizemac.tex (wavelets.aux)) [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]
[7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12]
[13] (wavelets.aux) )
Output written on wavelets.dvi (13 pages, 38904 bytes).
Transcript written on wavelets.log.
4.470u 0.485s 0:05.42 91.3% 0+0k 1+6io 0pf+0w

The only objective measurement is the LaTeX time, which is impressive,
while all the other applications (except Mathematica) are open

With mathematica Loaded (but nothing running) the same process took:
Transcript written on wavelets.log.
4.300u 0.516s 0:06.50 74.0% 0+0k 3+6io 0pf+0w

And while mathematica was evaluating a small notebook
4.298u 0.529s 0:15.18 31.6% 0+0k 19+7io 0pf+0w

I don't exactly know what Barry's three times mean; the ones I listed
are until the opened document appears on the screen.

Oh yes -- for what it's worth: vm_stat:
Mach Virtual Memory Statistics: (page size of 8192 bytes)
Pages free:                      146.
Pages active:                    235.
Pages inactive:                 1880.
Pages wired down:                182.

Draw your own conclusions.

Greetings,
Hardy
			  -------****-------

In article <HARDY.91Jun15225916@golem.ps.uci.edu> hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) writes:
> For "comparison" here are my launch times  on a 400/20MB slab;
>Edit 1.2 s
>Mathematica  <6 s
>WriteNow   <6 s
>Improv with API kit < 12 s
>Stuart (reopening)  <2 s

>I don't exactly know what Barry's three times mean; the ones I listed
>are until the opened document appears on the screen.

in the times I computed, it was time from double clicking til
all windows and menus had appeared.

The above times look promising---I can't wait to upgrade to
a 660/20MB confuguration.

--
Barry Merriman
UCLA Dept. of Math
UCLA Inst. for Fusion and Plasma Research
barry@math.ucla.edu (Internet)   barry@arnold.math.ucla.edu (NeXTMail)

Irving_Wolfe@happym.wa.com (06/16/91)

I don't have any numbers either, but moving over from my 20 MB slab
to an associate's 8 MB slab to help her with something is an
awesome experience.  The speed difference is comparable to life vs.
death.

samurai@cs.mcgill.ca (Darcy BROCKBANK) (06/17/91)

In article <1991Jun15.085335.4605@neon.Stanford.EDU> zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) writes:
>Maybe I didn't make myself clear in my original posting.  I have
>heard conflicting reports whether additional memory makes a significant
>performance improvement on the NeXT.  As such, I asked for specific metrics
>of improvement, not for comments like
>  it's OK if it takes 4 minutes to print a page,
>  10 minutes to log in, etc.
>Such comments really don't help, and only clutter the already overcrowded
>newsgroup.

What clutters the newsgroup is quoting the entire article and adding a
couple of comments at the end. I found EPS's comments meaningful. Everything
speeds up considerably on memory upgrade.

>BTW, I do use my NeXT like a you-know-what computer (a DEC 3100).  Even with
>the 8 Meg limit, I'm pretty happy with it.

That is too bad. Why don't you just stick with the DEC then?

I just had my memory upgraded from 8M to 16M on a networked cube, and using
it is heaven! Logging in is VERY fast, and keeping multiple applications
running is more realistic. Edit does not have to go to disk each time it
opens a window. I can keep Apps hidden, and in memory so they are there
when I ask for them.

I think that the sports car analogy is good. What can you do with the fast
engine if you are always stopped for gas?

- db

mdixon@parc.xerox.com (Mike Dixon) (06/18/91)

   Here's a snapshot of my ambient processes for the above experiments:
   (If you have any tips to speed things up, let me know!)

   feynman>ps -augx
   USER  %CPU %MEM VSIZE RSIZE TT STAT  TIME COMMAND
   root       121  27.9  2.0 1.24M  160K  a R    166h h- std.9600 ttya (getty)
   me         878  14.3 33.4 7.43M 2.67M ?  S   374:03 - console (WindowServer)

here's a tip:  that first line says that over 1/4 of your cpu time is
being wasted on a getty process that's waiting for someone to log on
over serial port a.  this happens because of some screw up that sends
getty into a loop repeating the login prompt over and over and over
again when the device on the other end of the line is turned off/not
responding.  there doesn't seem to be a good way to fix it yet; i
su and 'kill -STOP' the getty process (you then have to 'kill -CONT'
it again before you'll be able to log in).  (i wrote a little perl
script to do this semi-automatically).

if you find a better solution, i'd like to hear about it...
(some posts have claimed that switching to ttyda made the problem
go away; that didn't reliably fix it for me.)
                                             .mike.

--

                                             .mike.

SAMcinty@exua.exeter.ac.uk (Scott McIntyre) (06/19/91)

I finally got my NeXT, by the way...and I love it.  But I had to
settle for the 12mb colour slab since memory was so expensive over
here...

According to the rom monitor, it's 100ns ram...can I mix faster, or
do I have to get 100ns?

I am thinking about getting more ram, at least another 8megs, maybe
more, but the local suppliers only do the proper chips in 80ns speeds,
will this cause any problems?

Scott

--
mcintyre@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk			Scott A. McIntyre
SAMcinty@uk.ac.exeter.exua			Cornwall House

jchin@wimsey.bc.ca (Joseph Chin) (06/20/91)

I have just upgraded my NeXTstation Colour from 12MB RAM to 20MB, and the
performance increase is just dramatical! The system no longer thrashes at
the hard drive whenever I have more than one application loaded up. The
power of the 68040 is finally showing through! I strongly recommend this
upgrade to all owners of the 12MB NeXTstation Colour. It is worth every
penny of it. EPS and Scott have been right all along (re: more RAM = better
performance), and I have been a strong believer in that philosophy which
has proven its worth today!

I got my RAM from South Coast Electronics (714-669-9503). They have the
1MBx32-bit SIMM required by the NeXTstation Colour. The retail price
for the 8MB NeXTstation Colour RAM kit is around $600 (less if you are
a reseller).

BEWARE: Adding memory to the NeXTstation Colour is NOT an easy task. The
sockets are quite stiff and you can easily damage them if you don't know
what you're doing. Pay a certified techie to do it for you if you are not
sure of your abilities. Standard disclaimers apply ...

:-) Joe
--
Joseph Chin                         Wordcraft Systems Corporation
jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca           201-434 West 12th Avenue

eatme@iastate.edu (Swanlund David L) (06/21/91)

Hey everybody. So I can't remember anything. Do color stations come
with parity memory? I want to get some more for our color slab(which
is due to arrive next week), but I can't remember the discussion on
the subject.

Many thanks...

dave
NeXTMail to:   david@pv5028.vm.iastate.edu