[net.auto] Am I Doing A Good Tune-Up?

cnrdean@ucbtopaz.BERKELEY.EDU (03/04/86)

I like to do my own work on my own cars.  However, with the advent of
electronic ignition, fuel injection, etc. I find that there's not
much that I can do in the way of a 'tune-up'.  In the past, I used to:

1.  change the plugs
1a. change points, condensor
1b. check timing
1c. lube fittings
2.  change the oil
3.  change filters
4.  check brake fluid
5.  check transmission fluid
6.  check universal joint fluid

Now, I own a 1981 BMW 320i and a 1984 Honda Civic wagon.  I feel
guilty not doing 1abc, and I don't like to take my cars in for $65/hour
service.

Any recommendations on what I might be missing by not bringing it in
for service?  Am I missing a critical point in keeping my car in tune?
Do repair shops have some tool that I can't do without?  Is there an
equivalent of the timing light & dwell meter?

Thanks.   Sam Scalise

tomk@leia.UUCP (Tom Kloos) (03/08/86)

In article <398@ucbjade.BERKELEY.EDU> cnrdean@ucbtopaz.BERKELEY.EDU () writes:
>I like to do my own work on my own cars.  However, with the advent of
>electronic ignition, fuel injection, etc. I find that there's not
>much that I can do in the way of a 'tune-up'.  In the past, I used to:
>
>1.  change the plugs
 etc.....

You can still (and should!) do much of the routine maintenance on cars
with fuel injection and/or electronic ignition.  Certainly changing the
plugs, oil, and lube are not all that hard and items like setting the
timing can be very easy IF you have proper documentation (FACTORY
service manual! NOT a brand X imitation).

For example, to set the timing in my Camaro, you simply pull apart a
connector which places the computer in a 'test' mode.  The timing can
then be set to spec using conventional techniques and a garden variety
timing light.

Above all, don't let the service folks charge you big bucks for routine
maintenance and minor adjustments which they often don't do correctly!
There are times when you're stuck with them for more major problems, but
certainly nothing in your list should fall in this class.

-Tom Kloos, Tektronix, Wilsonville, Oregon
	Ignore paths in header.  Use this:
uucp: ..{ucbvax,decvax,uw-beaver,hplabs,ihnp4,allegra}!tektronix!orca!tomk