[comp.sys.next] NeXT on Campus -- How's NeXT really doing at your school?

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (06/13/91)

How well does NeXT seem to be gaining acceptance on college campuses?
What is the general attitude of the computing community?  And are
people trading in their "Macintoys"(to quote Eric Scott) and PC's for
the NeXT?  I've heard different things from several people, and I
would like to know if it is as bleak at other schools as it is at Penn
State.

Here we have a lab of six NeXTs(all 040's, 5 with 8MB of RAM, 1 server
with 16MB).  The general attitude though is that NeXT isn't going to
survive.  It definitely seems to be an uphill battle.  Yesterday a
faculty member walked into our Microcomputer Order Center and they
told him that it would be 6-8 months before he would receive his
machine.  This definitely discouraged him(who wouldn't be?).  Have
most people at least received their machines?  The few people around
here that might buy a NeXT will most likely change their minds if they
have to wait six months.  I'm certainly not going to wasted my time
convincing people to buy the NeXT if the company can't come through.

-Mike

In article <lh5H?zbu@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu
	(Michael D Mellinger) writes:
>How well does NeXT seem to be gaining acceptance on college campuses?
>What is the general attitude of the computing community?  And are
>people trading in their "Macintoys"(to quote Eric Scott) and PC's for
>the NeXT?

You rang?  Here, far more Mac owners are trading up--most of the
people who have PCs have them because they can't afford anything
else.  Or it could be that Mac users can more easily see "what a
NeXT is good for."

>Here we have a lab of six NeXTs(all 040's, 5 with 8MB of RAM, 1 server
>with 16MB).

Ick!!!

>          .  The general attitude though is that NeXT isn't going to
>survive.

If that's what you're running, no wonder people are getting a bad
impression.  Go buy some RAM.  Now!!!  The performance gain will
be like getting all new machines...  (Read your Network and
System Administration manual--NeXT recommends 32MB *minimum* in
*any* server, and the clients really want at least 20MB each.)
Why settle for "Mac Classic" performance???

>          It definitely seems to be an uphill battle.  Yesterday a
>faculty member walked into our Microcomputer Order Center and they
>told him that it would be 6-8 months before he would receive his
>machine.  This definitely discouraged him(who wouldn't be?).  Have
>most people at least received their machines?  The few people around
>here that might buy a NeXT will most likely change their minds if they
>have to wait six months.  I'm certainly not going to wasted my time
>convincing people to buy the NeXT if the company can't come through.

People who order machines through our bookstore see perhaps 2-3
week turnaround times.  Your numbers sound mightly suspicious.
NeXT certainly isn't responsible for them.  Your school is f---ed.

					-=EPS=-

barry@joshua.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) (06/13/91)

In article <lh5H?zbu@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>How well does NeXT seem to be gaining acceptance on college campuses?
>What is the general attitude of the computing community?  And are
>people trading in their "Macintoys"(to quote Eric Scott) and PC's for
>the NeXT?

Absolutely. At least in the UCLA math department, there are now
7-8 faculty/grad students that have at least one (some of us have two :-)
NeXT, and many of these are used for home machines.

At the last SCAN (So. Cal. NeXT) meeting held at UCLA, there were
around 60 people in attendance.

And sales have been healthy at our bookstore as well, I'm told.

>The general attitude though is that NeXT isn't going to
>survive.

Oh, really? I'll give you 10:1 odds on that one!

>It definitely seems to be an uphill battle.  Yesterday a
>faculty member walked into our Microcomputer Order Center and they
>told him that it would be 6-8 months before he would receive his
>machine.  This definitely discouraged him(who wouldn't be?).  Have
>most people at least received their machines?  The few people around
>here that might buy a NeXT will most likely change their minds if they
>have to wait six months.  I'm certainly not going to wasted my time
>convincing people to buy the NeXT if the company can't come through.

I suspect the problem lies with your MicroComp store. These stores
tend to give NeXT the cold shoulder, because it only interferes
with their lucrative Mac/PC marketing. We have had similar difficulties
here, but in the long run NeXT has sold well enough that they get
a prominent display at our bookstore. Don't blame NeXT for the
fact that your Comp Store is run by a bunch of short sighted,
profit margin-grubbing, technologically insipid, and otherwise
vapid, jejune, banal, inane bureaucrats (oops, I'm using the
NeXT Thesaurus again :-).

Barry Merriman
UCLA Dept. of Math
UCLA Inst. for Fusion and Plasma Research
barry@math.ucla.edu (Internet)   barry@arnold.math.ucla.edu (NeXTMail)

In article <1713@toaster.SFSU.EDU> eps@cs.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>In article <lh5H?zbu@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu
>	(Michael D Mellinger) writes:
>>How well does NeXT seem to be gaining acceptance on college campuses?
>>It definitely seems to be an uphill battle.  Yesterday a
>>faculty member walked into our Microcomputer Order Center and they
>>told him that it would be 6-8 months before he would receive his

>NeXT certainly isn't responsible for them.  Your school is f---ed.
>
>					-=EPS=-

Hey, for once I agree with EPS's opinion :-)

(note: I always welcome his technical advice, though)

Barry Merriman
UCLA Dept. of Math
UCLA Inst. for Fusion and Plasma Research
barry@math.ucla.edu (Internet)   barry@arnold.math.ucla.edu (NeXTMail)

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (06/13/91)

In our department (about 33 Faculty members) there are three NeXT-s.
(One Cube and two Stations).  I am the only one who traded a MacIIx
for a NeXT and am glad I did. But I still keep a PC around because of
the  flakiness of SoftPC. The cube was purchased a yearor two ago,
the other station under the influence of SLAC. Approximately two
undergrads bought 105 MB Stations. I can't afford to give up the
HP-Vectras (donated by HP) in my teaching lab, and we have another 7-8
IBM PS2 machines there too. If the rumored 88k NeXt materializes, some
of my colleagues who are contemplating buying HP 9000/720 machinse
because of their speed (and the stability of HP-UX, if you ask me)
might consider the new NeXT-s. But diversity is really not that bad.
Departments who are "All-Mac" or "all-Ms-Dos" or all BSD or all SysV
smack of totalitarianism. Having tried them all, I am very tolerant of
other people's taste in computers; as long as they are productive and
enjoy what they are doing.

Greetings,
Hardy
			  -------****-------
Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy);  Department of Physics, University of California
Irvine CA 92717; (714) 856 5543; hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu or MMAYER@UCI.BITNET

miron@cs.sfu.ca (Miron Cuperman) (06/13/91)

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>survive.  It definitely seems to be an uphill battle.  Yesterday a
>faculty member walked into our Microcomputer Order Center and they
>told him that it would be 6-8 months before he would receive his

This sounds suspect.  I got mine in about a month.

--
	By Miron Cuperman <miron@cs.sfu.ca>

garton@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Bradford Garton) (06/13/91)

Sort of an interesting thing happened in our Department (music).  Due to
extremely depressing budget constraints, we have not been able to do much
beyond a single cube (plus access to the wonderful Columbia NeXTstation lab,
but disk space for soundfiles is limited there!).  However, almost every
serious computer music student we have took advantage of the NeXT/B-land
sale to purchase old cubes with large disks, and a few have now upgraded to
040 machines.  Others have purchased NeXTstations through the school.  So we
now have a large number of students with better facilities in their dorm
rooms than we can offer through the University.  The future...?

Brad Garton
Music Department
garton@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (06/13/91)

PS.  I understand that our campus computer store has NeXT-s for
immediate delivery; more students than Faculty seem to be buying.
The "NeXT" geeneration ...

Greetings,
Hardy
			  -------****-------

mikel@Apple.COM (Mikel Evins) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun13.150159.24629@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> garton@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Bradford Garton) writes:
>Sort of an interesting thing happened in our Department (music).  Due to
>extremely depressing budget constraints, we have not been able to do much
>beyond a single cube (plus access to the wonderful Columbia NeXTstation lab,
>but disk space for soundfiles is limited there!).  However, almost every
>serious computer music student we have took advantage of the NeXT/B-land
>sale to purchase old cubes with large disks, and a few have now upgraded to
>040 machines.  Others have purchased NeXTstations through the school.  So we
>now have a large number of students with better facilities in their dorm
>rooms than we can offer through the University.  The future...?

If this is so, and if students there are working on
music software, and if they and the university
are willing to provide some of that software for
ftp, I am sure that many NeXT users would be
grateful for the chance to use the software. The
absence of much in the way of commercial music
and MIDI software on the NeXT is ironic and
frustrating. In fact, an enterprising music
student who is also a programmer could conceivably
make some money selling a nice MIDI application
for the NeXT.

garton@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Bradford Garton) (06/14/91)

In article <53955@apple.Apple.COM> mikel@Apple.COM (Mikel Evins) writes:

>If this is so, and if students there are working on
>music software, and if they and the university
>are willing to provide some of that software for
>ftp, I am sure that many NeXT users would be
>grateful for the chance to use the software. The
>absence of much in the way of commercial music
>and MIDI software on the NeXT is ironic and
>frustrating. In fact, an enterprising music
>student who is also a programmer could conceivably
>make some money selling a nice MIDI application
>for the NeXT.

I agree, however I do want to point out that we have contributed a fair
number of Apps to the archives -- it's just that most of us really like NeXT
machines because they allow us to use software synthesis languages such as
cmix and csound quite easily.  MIDI is good at what it does, but some of us
prefer to do other things.

On the other side, I am surprised that more MIDI Apps haven't been
forthcoming.  The MusicKit certainly has support for MIDI data, plus I have
seen the MIDI driver used in live situations (so it presumably works).  My
only guess is that the initial buyers of NeXT machines were more interested
in software synthesis than MIDI.  Hmmmm......

Brad Garton
Music Department
garton@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu

brian@umbc4.umbc.edu (Brian Cuthie) (06/14/91)

In article <lh5H?zbu@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
(greatly abreviated)

>Here we have a lab of six NeXTs(all 040's, 5 with 8MB of RAM, 1 server
>with 16MB).  The general attitude though is that NeXT isn't going to
>survive.  It definitely seems to be an uphill battle.  Yesterday a
>faculty member walked into our Microcomputer Order Center and they
>told him that it would be 6-8 months before he would receive his
>machine.  This definitely discouraged him(who wouldn't be?).  Have
>-Mike

Here at the great U of M, they actually stock the 105 meg version.  This
is great since it's the best deal going anyway.  If you order the 400 meg
slab, it is said to take 8 - 10 weeks.  I too believe that if anything
will be responsible for their demise, it will be shipping delays.  After
all, NeXT must realize that people are taking a risk when buying their
machines (obviously they know this, that's why the price is so low).
People are much less likely to take the risk of ordering a machine from
a company that can't ship it for 3-4 months.  Hell, they could be
out of business by then! :-)

-brian

ksmith@cubmol.bio.columbia.edu (Kenneth Smith) (06/14/91)

In article <lh5H?zbu@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>most people at least received their machines?  The few people around
>here that might buy a NeXT will most likely change their minds if they
>have to wait six months.  I'm certainly not going to wasted my time
>convincing people to buy the NeXT if the company can't come through.
>
>-Mike

At Columbia the delivery time seems to be 3 to 4 weeks.
--
Kenneth Smith
Dept. of Molecular Biophysics, 630 W. 168th St.

mpf@triplea.cs.umd.edu (Martin Farach) (06/14/91)

At the University of Maryland, they keep 105's in stock.  Also, WAM
(Workstations at Maryland) just announced that they are upgrading all
the Vaxstation 2000's - of which there are quite a few on campus - to
NeXTen.  This means that, since the WAM labs are the main computing
facility for many students at Maryland, NeXT is going to get alot of
expusure here.

--
Martin Farach			mpf@cs.umd.edu
University of Maryland		"Triviality and certainty are the

whodges@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Wiley Hodges) (06/14/91)

This was just announced at U. of Maryland today. I thought it might be
relevant to this thread:

>Date:         Thu, 13 Jun 91 13:53:31 EDT
>Sender: Electronic Mail Distribution of CSC News <NEWSLIST@umdd.umd.edu>
>From: Ira Gold <IGOLD@umdd.umd.edu>
>Subject:      CSC News: NeXTstations to replace VAXstations in WAM Labs

>NeXTstations to replace VAXstations in WAM Labs

>Over the summer, the Digital Equipment Corporation VAXstation 2000s in
>the CSC, EPSL, Worcester, and Centerville WAM labs will be replaced by
>NeXT Computer, Inc. NeXTstations.  At the same time, additional
>NeXTstations will be installed in the PG2 WAM lab.

>The goal of the upgrade, which is taking the form of a complete
>replacement of hardware and software at the individual workstation
>level, is to provide high-power, highly-integrated, UNIX-based
>workstation computing to the campus community.  The NeXTstations are
>considerably faster than the VAXstations they are replacing and come
>bundled with a fair amount of application software.  In addition to
>NextStep, which provides an integrated multi-media environment, the
>NeXTstations will support the X Window System and be capable of running
>most of the freely available Berkeley UNIX-based software.

The total number of NeXT machines involved in the project is 100. I think
that it is significant not just for the 100 machines, but for the confidence
which UMD is placing in NeXT.

I would add that getting a NeXT at Maryland takes from 3-6 weeks for
just about any machine. This figure includes time spent by the Computer
Emporium logging in the order (they also only order about once a week from
NeXT, so the timing of the order is a factor).

Wiley Hodges
whodges@wam.umd.edu

-------------------------
Disclaimer: Any opinion expressed here is my own. Actually, it may belong to
someone else as well, but I speak only for myself. Any information provided
is provided as-is, and is not warranted to be accurate, helpful, or even
relevant. This is a really long, boring disclaimer.
--
							Wiley Hodges
							NeXT Campus Consultant

pfkeb@kaon.SLAC.Stanford.EDU (Paul Kunz) (06/14/91)

In article <HARDY.91Jun13003230@golem.ps.uci.edu> hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) writes:

   < stuff deleted >
   The cube was purchased a yearor two ago,
   the other station under the influence of SLAC.

SLAC as DoE funded laboratory does not ``influence'' university staff as your
sentence might imply.  I hope the SLAC lawyers didn't read your statement
they might be upset.  I'm sure you didn't mean the way the sentence
could be read, so I'm not flaming you, just want to make things clear.

   On the other hand, NextStep applications being developped at SLAC
has led to the sale of a dozen or two  NeXTs at universities and even
in Europe.  Curiously, I don't think this is the case of the one I know
about at Irvine.

   As long as I'm being so legal, I guess I must add that I don't
speak for SLAC, the DoE, or the Board of Trustees of
the Leland Stanford Junior University.

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (06/14/91)

In article <53955@apple.Apple.COM> mikel@Apple.COM (Mikel Evins) writes:
>>040 machines.  Others have purchased NeXTstations through the school.  So we
>>now have a large number of students with better facilities in their dorm
>>rooms than we can offer through the University.  The future...?
>
>If this is so, and if students there are working on
>music software, and if they and the university
>are willing to provide some of that software for
>ftp, I am sure that many NeXT users would be
>grateful for the chance to use the software. The
>absence of much in the way of commercial music
>and MIDI software on the NeXT is ironic and
>frustrating. In fact, an enterprising music
>student who is also a programmer could conceivably
>make some money selling a nice MIDI application
>for the NeXT.

NeXTstations (color and mono) have been selling like hotcakes at San Jose
State where I attend.  The bookstore keeps 1 or 2 machines in stock so
people don't have to wait, this is assuming they don't have more than a
couple of people wanting them at the same time.  I don't know how many the
school has in labs and such but I know that in the last few weeks our
bookstore has delivered at least 6 or 7 with more people waiting for
strange, non-standard configurations.

BTW - I agree on the music stuff.  Anyone who comes out with a good midi
package that supports either MOTU - Midi Timepeice or supports the Studio 3
midi interfaces will stand to make loads of money.  My $400-500 is in the
bank waiting for a good piece of midi software.

              Kent
--
/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */

matthews@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.065828.3188@math.ucla.edu> barry@joshua.math.ucla.edu
(Barry Merriman) writes:
[Stuff about NeXTs on campus and bad bookstore policy]

Well, the University of Maryland at College Park just announced they will
replace the VAXstation 2000s in the Workstations at Maryland public labs with
NeXTstations.  The exact number isn't known, nor is the timeframe, but there
will be a healthy number of them (there are 44 VAX2000s out there, 20ish empty
slots earmarked for NeXTs, plus some others floating around...).

Not sure about NeXT sales to undergrads or faculty, but a friend of mine and I
ordered them the day after they were announced, and the total number of order
is probably somewhere in the 50 - 100 ballpark over the past 10 months, if not
higher.

I like. :-)

Mike

randall@redfish.atmos.colostate.edu (Dave Randall) (06/14/91)

writes:

>How well does NeXT seem to be gaining acceptance on college campuses?
>What is the general attitude of the computing community?  And are
>people trading in their "Macintoys"(to quote Eric Scott) and PC's for
>the NeXT?

My department (Atmospheric Science) has fourteen of various types, including
one NeXTDimension. Also five NeXT printers. Four out of thirteen faculty have
bought, and a fifth seems about ready to jump. Keep in mind that some of the
thirteen don't have much need for a workstation. NeXT outnumbers Sun and Dec
(separately, not combined) even though those two vendors had a head big start.
I predict that we will hit 20 NeXT machines before the end of this calendar
year.

And they'll all be upgraded to 88K!

mattson@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Jim Mattson) (06/14/91)

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>How well does NeXT seem to be gaining acceptance on college campuses?
>What is the general attitude of the computing community?  And are
>people trading in their "Macintoys"(to quote Eric Scott) and PC's for
>the NeXT?  I've heard different things from several people, and I
>would like to know if it is as bleak at other schools as it is at Penn
>State.

>[stuff deleted]

>-Mike

Judging by the forum, I'd suspect that you're probably going to get a warped
response to a question like this.  At campuses where things are even
"bleaker" than at Penn, there may not be too many people reading this
newsgroup to begin with.  Here, in the Computer Science department, we have
one (1) NeXT, and I toy with the idea of unsubscribing to comp.sys.next on a
daily basis.  The traffic is just too high to really make it worthwhile for
the support of one machine.

I can't speak for all of UCSD, but in this department, at least, I would
have to say that NeXT is doing pretty poorly.  One major problem is that we
have a tremendous amount of "local" software (mostly public domain things
for which we have sources, though they weren't actually developed locally),
and a disturbingly high percentage of this software won't port to the NeXT
or only ports with considerable difficulty.  In an environment where every
user expects to have every piece of software on every machine, the NeXT has
become something of an orphan.  Even worse, though, is the problem of
support--or rather, the lack thereof.  We are used to dealing with Sun,
and they are pretty bad about informing end-users about known problems, but
once we can identify a problem, in many instances we can at least get a
patch (or patch the sources ourselves).  With NeXT, on the other hand, our
typical experience has been that it takes them at least a week to realize
that the problem we are reporting is a known bug, and even then, there is no
patch for it.  Unfortunately, we don't have sources for the NeXT OS, so
that's where the story ends.  I know that NeXT is a relatively small
company, but you'd think that someone there would be working on patching
bugs.  Ever since 2.0 came out, I've been waiting for a patch to the
netgroups problem, but I'm not holding my breath.  Ever since 0.9, we've
been using an atom'ed version of Sun's lpd, too.  With each new release, I
expect the lpd problems to go away, but each time I've been disappointed.

When we originally decided to buy this machine, I was all for it, but now I
feel like I should have kept my mouth shut.  Of course, all of this babble
is just my own opinion, and should not be taken to reflect the views of
UCSD, the computer science department, or anyone else.

--jim

--
Jim Mattson			Internet: jmattson@ucsd.edu
UCSD CSE Dept. 0114		Bitnet:	jmattson@ucsd

greg@travis.cica.indiana.edu (Gregory TRAVIS) (06/14/91)

Indiana University, Bloomington, currently has over 150 NeXT machines -
including over 100 in a Journalism lab.  We bought our first batch
of 18 cubes back in November of 1988.  Don't know how many are present in the
entire Indiana University system.

People really seem to like them.

greg "typing from machine AAK0000343" travis
--
Gregory R. Travis                Indiana University, Bloomington IN 47405
greg@cica.indiana.edu  		 Center for Innovative Computer Applications

wrb@ulnar (Bill Barker) (06/15/91)

writes:

>How well does NeXT seem to be gaining acceptance on college campuses?
>What is the general attitude of the computing community?  And are
>people trading in their "Macintoys"(to quote Eric Scott) and PC's for
>the NeXT?

I have 9 NeXTs under my tutelage here in Biological Structure, with 4 more in
other departments that use me as an ad-hoc consultant for NeXTish things.  So
far, we've done a significant amount of software development, database
(Sybase), spreadsheet (Improv) and technical publishing (FrameMaker and
WordPerfect) projects with them.  I recently upgraded my departmental
administrator and budget coordinator with slabs, and they still haven't put
their eyes back into their heads!  Quite nice to see people having FUN in front
of a computer.

For the most part, the NeXTs were intended for software development, but when
we got these things in the door and saw what one could do with them, other uses
started taking off.  I pushed hard for NeXTs as replacements for AT-class PCs
in our administrative offices (the alternative was 386's with Windows).  So
far, they have been everything I wanted and more, especially when I consider
how easy my non-technical users switched over and got up to speed.  If things
keep going like they have been, more should be on the way this year.  Maybe
sooner than later.

As soon as our NeXTdimension system shows up, I hope to integrate it into our
video work, as anotomical animations are one of our major products.

My only problem had been delays in '040 upgrades, but that's it so far.  I've
had far worse problems with other vendors.

Just one happy customer's opinion.

Bill Barker
Biological Structure
U of Washington, Seattle

adam@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Adam Glass) (06/15/91)

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
> How well does NeXT seem to be gaining acceptance on college campuses?

It's doing fine here.  (Here is CMU, not MIT.)

We have a NeXT lab... around 20 machines, all slabs.  The computer
store price is the lowest I've seen at any school.  They're wiring
some of the dorms with thick Ethernet, so it'll be really easy to get
them connected next semester.  Four friends of mine are considering
buying NeXTs.  AFS is supposedly being ported to the NeXT.  That
should make things smoother down here too.

> And are people trading in their "Macintoys"(to quote Eric Scott) and
> PC's for the NeXT?

I did -- I sold my Mac II a month before school ended so I could buy
my NeXTStation.  But I think it's rather immature to call macs
"Macintoys" -- there are things that the Mac does better than the
NeXT.  There are things the NeXT does better.  I decided that the
things the NeXT excelled in were more important to my needs than those
things the Mac excelled in.

Adam

wjabi@srvr1 (wassim jabi) (06/15/91)

Here at APRL^, University of Michigan, we have two 040 Cubes. The lab has
the following:

  Name                             Number
- Hp/Apollo Domain Series 4000      2
- Hp/Apollo Series 400              1
- IBM Risc 6000                     1
- Stardent Titan Supercomputer      1
- NeXT Cube Monochrome              2

It seems UofM decided to sell a NeXTStation with 8MB RAM, 300MB Hard
disk as the lowest-end you can buy (Price ~4000 dollars). That was a
bit steep for some students that were counting on a $3000 NeXTStation
with 105 MB Hard disk.

I don't know what is going on with other departments.

Wassim Jabi
wjabi@caen.engin.umich.edu

^ APRL = Architecture and Planning Research Laboratory,
         College of Architecture and Urban Planning.
--
this is my signature

louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun14.182256.27863@news.media.mit.edu> adam@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Adam Glass) writes:
> AFS is supposedly being ported to the NeXT.

AFS is available for the NeXT.  I'm running on my Release 2.1 system.

louie

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun14.201227.22767@ni.umd.edu> louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) writes:
>In article <1991Jun14.182256.27863@news.media.mit.edu> adam@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Adam Glass) writes:
>> AFS is supposedly being ported to the NeXT.
>
>AFS is available for the NeXT.  I'm running on my Release 2.1 system.

Pardon me; what is AFS?

--

dmg@ssc-vax (David M Geary) (06/15/91)

In article <HARDY.91Jun13003230@golem.ps.uci.edu> hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) writes:
>In our department (about 33 Faculty members) there are three NeXT-s.
>(One Cube and two Stations).  I am the only one who traded a MacIIx
>for a NeXT and am glad I did. But I still keep a PC around because of
>the  flakiness of SoftPC. The cube was purchased a yearor two ago,
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hardy, could you please elaborate?  I am considering a NeXT,
and one of the main reasons is that I am under the
(misguided?) notion that with a NeXT, coXist, and softPC, I
can simultaneously develop software for the NeXT, X Windows,
and PC (Windows) world.  Am I crazy or what?

--
|~~~~~~~~~~       David Geary, Boeing Aerospace, Seattle, WA.       ~~~~~~~~~~|
|~~~~~~  Seattle:  America's most attractive city... to the *jetstream* ~~~~~~|

portnoy@athena.mit.edu (Stephen L. Peters) (06/15/91)

I think it's doing pretty good here.  I walked into the Microcomputer Center here a few weeks back and started playing with one of the demo machines, when a friend of mine who works there wandered over and told me that the MCC had shipped no less than 8 NeXTs that day.

Also, a friend of mine just picked up a NeXT Dimension, 16Mb, Sound Box, all the trimmings.  Sigh.  Wish he weren't taking it to Missouri.  :-)

And of course, I'm waiting for the day that I can afford one of those sleek lil' ol' black boxes.  At that point, it's goodbye MS-DOS, hello UNIX forever!

					Stephen Peters

bishop@milton.u.washington.edu (John Bishop) (06/15/91)

Some of you may have seen the Campus profile on University of
Washington in the most recent "NeXT on Campus".  There's an interview
with Garret Odell about a mathematical models in biology course which
he teaches here, which I took.  There were about 25 of us, mostly
graduate students, and we used the general access next lab for the
course.  This lab has 10 '030's running off 2 servers, and is VERY
slow (none of the cubes have hard disks, and only 8mb ram per cube).
  Nonetheless, we were blown
away by what we could do on the nexts, especially with Mathematica. It
was a very successful class.  The Next lab, as far as I can tell, gets
very heavy use, and is surrounded by older terminals which get much
lighter use.  In spite of this, the U hasn't seen its way to improving
this lab.
	At leas two of us from the course have bought our own nexts so far,
but the big coup is that the zoology dept has decided to set up its
own next lab, with (I'm a little fuzzy on these numbers) something
like 8 stations and 2 cubes, plus 2 cubes acting as servers.  In
addition 4 or 5 faculty will get a station on their desks.  As I
recall, all of these will have lots of memory big disks, and the cubes
will have ND's. It ought to be some lab.

John Bishop
Department of Botany

In article <1991Jun14.210204.11184@math.ucla.edu>
	barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) writes:
>Pardon me; what is AFS?

It's sort of the next level of file sharing after NFS.
Look in the Spring 1991 Software and Peripherals catalog under
Transarc.

					-=EPS=-

mfriedel@slate.mines.colorado.edu (Friedel Michael) (06/16/91)

 Here at Mines the computing center has 4 machines in the public lab
(2 slabs, and 2 upgraded cubes). Further they have a server machine
(a 040 cube) and two slabs for the staff. The Geophysics department has
5 cubes (all upgraded I think) and is planning to buy more (soon to
include a NeXTdiemnsion). Further ther are numerous slabs in other department
offices (10 or more). And I know of several students and faculty that have bough a machine.
One departmet is thinking about replacing their IBM PC's with NeXT  for teaching
classes (FORTRAN, Graphics...). And that would be another 5 machines or so.
Our Bookstore does not keep any machines in stock, and it takes about
2-6 weeks to get a machine. And they charge about 15% on top of the
price charged by NeXT Inc. Support (Hardware) is handled by a service
depot in the Computing Center (we have a licenced techician).

Hope this help
Mike
--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
No user serviceable part inside. Warranty void if opened

songer@orchestra.ecn.purdue.edu (Christopher M Songer) (06/17/91)

Well,

     NeXT is doing terribly at Purdue. Purdue is strongly ingrained as
a Sun and Mac campus and the resistance to change by those who make
the decisions seems unshakable. Most are still plaugued by the initial
impression NeXT made with optical only 8meg system as well as continuing
rumors of NeXT's financial instability. They lost a bid to Suns (Macs
were the runners up) even though the NeXT was the performance for price
leader. While one hears of the odd Station or Cube going in somewhere
or another on campus, the only NeXT lab still has about 10 8Meg 030's
running 1.0a.

     As a result, the student price for Nexts is $4000 for a 105Meg Station.
This is not low enough to persuade students to buy them over Macs and PC's.
Let's face it, for students doing real work, a 105Meg Station is not going
to cut it, so you can add $1000 to make the system usable. Those who buy
NeXT's are generally doing it through friends at other schools. (If it
had not been for the Businessland sale, I wold probably be using an SLC
at home and not a Next.) Sure it is illeagel, bit it is also $1000,
which is alot for a student.

     Next is likely to continue to do poorly at Purdue until the student
price comes down or Next gets really good press (and not press you have
to go out of your way to read). They have a bad first impression to over
come.

     This is, of course, my opinion and perception of the situation and may
bear no real resemblence to the truth.
-Chris

mccoy@cory.berkeley.edu (Gary McCoy) (06/19/91)

There are quite a few machines at Berkeley these days, however, there aren't
any significant next labs at this point.  There has been a -certain- kind of
acceptance in that professors, faculty and staff are making personal purchases
and small lab purchases, but there aren't any large labs yet.  (Part of that
could be that the state of California and the UC system are in the middle of
big cutbacks to address the BIG deficit)

Also, I seem to recall that SF State's CS department has standardized on next.

Things seem to be going the way of the original macintosh when one or two brave
pioneers brought their personal machines into departments and they began to
take hold.

Berkeley has around 200 machines at the end of last semester.

Hope this helps.

In article <993@rosie.NeXT.COM> mccoy@cory.berkeley.edu writes:
>and small lab purchases, but there aren't any large labs yet.  (Part of that
>could be that the state of California and the UC system are in the middle of
>big cutbacks to address the BIG deficit)

Frightening, that.  UC has *much* more money than the CSU.

>Also, I seem to recall that SF State's CS department has standardized on next.

Not really--it just so happens that NeXT provides the most cost-
effective way to meet *our* needs... and that has been
continuously true since Fall 1988.

"Our" needs may not be the same as "your" needs; for example,
we don't "need" X Windows...  (We have about half a dozen
platforms that support X, but it's not used in any sort of
"open" way--no client-and-server-on-different machines, and
hardly anyone even considers programming for it.  It runs xterm
and xclock, and a few "canned" packages.  On systems with both
X *and* a proprietary window system, users prefer the proprietary
package because it's invariably many times faster.)

					-=EPS=-