[comp.sys.next] Key-equivalent for "cancel"

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) (06/20/91)

Hiya -
	Does anyone other than from me wish that the "cancel" button
on dialog boxes had a key equivalence? I personally wish that it
was linked to "Command-." (period). That way when I bring up a dialog
box by accident with a key stroke, I can close it from the keyboard.
        Is there an easy way to do this? I doubt so.... until NeXT
puts it into the user interface.

   - jiro nakamura
     jiro@shaman.com

ps. I e-mailed COPS to Lothar Kaul at cs.orst.edu, if you want
to pick it up there....

--
Jiro Nakamura				jiro@shaman.com
Shaman Consulting			+1 607 277-1440 Voice/Fax/Data

In article <1991Jun20.013219.1458@shaman.com> jiro@shaman.com
	(Jiro Nakamura) writes:
>	Does anyone other than from me wish that the "cancel" button
>on dialog boxes had a key equivalence? I personally wish that it
>was linked to "Command-." (period).

Sorry, you can't have it.  :-)

Command-. is "magic"--intercepted very early on.

See the documentation for NXUserAborted().

					-=EPS=-

dwatola@NEXTASY2.EECS.WSU.EDU (David Watola) (06/21/91)

Eric P. Scott writes:
 | 	(Jiro Nakamura) writes:
 |>	Does anyone other than from me wish that the "cancel" button
 |>on dialog boxes had a key equivalence? I personally wish that it
 |>was linked to "Command-." (period).
 |
 |Sorry, you can't have it.  :-)
 |
 |Command-. is "magic"--intercepted very early on.

actually, if you are very bold and daring (and possibly a little
stupid :-) ) you can get rid of this interception.   my guess is
(i have not actually tried this.  i don't plan to--i'm not willing
to take the risk) that all you need to do is change the /_handleCommand
routine in /usr/lib/NeXTstep/windowPackage.ps.  this routine is
the part of the window server code responsible for squirreling away
command-. and taking care of command-uparrow and command-downarrow.

the only reason i bothered to post this insane idea is in case someone is
willing to try something like this.  if anyone makes any changes at all
to windowPackage.ps, i would like to hear about it.

dave watola
dwatola@nextasy2.eecs.wsu.edu
dwatola@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu

In article <9106210910.AA14352@nextasy2.eecs.wsu.edu>
	dwatola@NEXTASY2.EECS.WSU.EDU (David Watola) writes:
> |Command-. is "magic"--intercepted very early on.
>
>actually, if you are very bold and daring (and possibly a little
>stupid :-) ) you can get rid of this interception.

More than a "little" stupid.

Besides, you *do* want to be able to run under the next Software
Release, right?  It's a bad idea to assume that the window
package isn't going to change.

					-=EPS=-