[comp.sys.next] 3rd party optical drives

sfl@chem.ucsd.edu (Susan Fichera) (06/12/91)

Anybody out there using a 3rd party optical drive on a NextStation?
Is there such a thing?
Thanks all. I'll summarize.

Susan Fichera
sfl@grasshopper.ucsd.edu

sfl@chem.ucsd.edu (Susan Fichera) (06/21/91)

I'm still looking for sources of 3rd party optical drives
for the NeXT. hHaven't gotten any response as yet. Does
this mean no one makes an optical drive for the NeXT
except NeXT?

Thanks to all.
Susan
sfl@grasshopper.ucsd.edu

mcgredo@bluto.ie.orst.edu (Don McGregor) (06/21/91)

Susan Fichera writes

> I'm still looking for sources of 3rd party optical drives
> for the NeXT.

Has anyone tried hooking up the various Mac-ish SCSI ISO optical drives?
Seems like it should work in theory.

Don McGregor             | "If you post it, he will followup..."
mcgredo@bluto.ie.orst.edu|

mat@zeus.opt-sci.arizona.edu (Mat Watson) (06/22/91)

From: mcgredo@bluto.ie.orst.edu (Don McGregor)
   Susan Fichera writes

   > I'm still looking for sources of 3rd party optical drives
   > for the NeXT.

   Has anyone tried hooking up the various Mac-ish SCSI ISO optical drives?
   Seems like it should work in theory.

I just called NeXT technical support, and the agent who spoke to me
indicated that special software is required.  Specifically one needs
to have a device driver capable of controlling the 3rd party drive from
the NeXT across the SCSI buss (apparently all SCSI devices are not
created equal :-) ).

One company which sells such a beast (you get the driver with the
drive) is NeXTConnection.  For a mere $3875 they will sell you a SONY
600MB drive (which cannot read NeXT optical disks).  This is way
outside my budget for an optical drive, but so far it is the only one
I've found with a device driver for the NeXT.

Shall I write my own device driver, or is that a path tread only by
the immortal? :-) I've messed around with sockets and ioctl.  Does
this qualify hack the next kernel?  Does my Sun Unix documentation on
device drivers apply to the NeXT/Mach combination?  Has someone else
already done this?  Sure would save me some time if they have.

Cheers to all,

--Mat     mat@zeus.opt-sci.arizona.edu