[comp.sys.next] NeXTstep Advantage brochure

gmiller@NeXT.com (Gary Miller) (06/18/91)

*** New from the Publications Group at NeXT ***

A PostScript-format version of the "NeXTstep Advantage" brochure is now
available on the following archive servers:

    cs.orst.edu:           pub/next/documents/NeXT/
    sonata.cc.purdue.edu:  pub/next/docs/ (still in submissions directory?)
    etlport.etl.go.jp:     pub/NeXT/documents/NeXTstepAdvantage/

The file name is NeXTstepAdvantage.tar.Z; (its compressed size is 1.3
megabytes; uncompressed, it's 9.5 megabytes).  In addition to the
PostScript files listed below, the tar file contains the complete source
code for the brochure's Plotter application (including makefiles, .h, .m,
nib, tiff, and other files).

On the servers there's also an ASCII file called NeXTstepAdvantage_README,
which contains the following information:

The NeXTstepAdvantage directory contains the complete contents of "The
NeXTstep Advantage: Application Development with NeXTstep."  This manual was
initally written as a sales tool that could be read by programmers,
developers, and other technical people interested in evaluating NeXTstep as
a potential development environment.  Because the demand for this manual
has been larger than expected, NeXT Computer, Inc. has decided to make it
available on the Internet archive servers.  You have the right to copy and
distribute these files and their hardcopy equivalent, but not the right to
include excerpts in another document without explicit permission from NeXT
Computer, Inc.

File:                   Contents:

00_FrontMatter/
    Cover.ps
    TableOfContents.ps
    Intro.ps             1  THE NEXTSTEP ADVANTAGE
                         1  What is NeXTstep?
                         1  What's the NeXTstep Advantage?
                         3  A Recognized Advantage
                         3  Putting the NeXTstep Advantage to Work
                         3  A Look Ahead

01_StepByStep.ps         5  STEP-BY-STEP THROUGH A NEXTSTEP APPLICATION
                         6  Introduction to NeXTstep Programming
                        11  Step 1. Designing the Application
                        13  Step 2. Assembling the User Interface
                        24  Step 3. Defining Custom Classes with
                                      Interface Builder
                        27  Step 4. Connecting Objects in the Application
                        32  Step 5. Implementing the Custom Classes
                        39  Step 6. Making, Running, and Debugging
                                      the Application
                        43  Reusing Application Features
                        52  Summary

02_ObjectiveC.ps        53  OBJECT-ORIENTED PROGRAMMING
                        53  Objects
                        55  Classes
                        59  Using an Object-Oriented Kit

03_NeXTstep.ps          61  FUNDAMENTALS OF NEXTSTEP
                        61  The Window Server
                        62  The Application Kit
                        66  Event Handling
                        67  Drawing
                        69  Messages between Applications
                        71  Summary

04_Classes.ps           73  CLASS SUMMARIES
                        74  Windows
                        75  Text Handling
                        76  Controls
                        78  Panels, Menus, and Pop-up Lists
                        80  Organizational Views
                        81  Fonts
                        82  Support for Printing
                        83  File Management
                        84  Images
                        86  Support for Choosing Colors
                        87  Comprehensive List of Classes

05_Tools.ps             93  NEXT DEVELOPMENT TOOLS
                        93  Interface Builder
                        93  Editors
                        93  Compilers
                        94  Debugging and Performance Tools
                        95  Digital Librarian
                        96  Tools for Development on the
                              Digital Signal Processor (DSP)
                        96  Tools for PostScript Development
                        96  The Mach Operating System

06_Standards.ps         97  STANDARD DATA FORMATS ON NEXT COMPUTERS
                        97  Tag Image File Format (TIFF)
                        97  The PostScript Language
                        97  Rich Text Format (RTF)

07_PlotterSources/      99  PLOTTER SOURCE LISTINGS
    CodeIntro.ps
    Code.ps
    SourceFiles/

tjb@IceCube.unh.edu (Thomas J. Baker) (06/18/91)

In article <977@rosie.NeXT.COM> gmiller@NeXT.com (Gary Miller) writes:
> *** New from the Publications Group at NeXT ***
>
> A PostScript-format version of the "NeXTstep Advantage" brochure is now
> available on the following archive servers:
>
>     cs.orst.edu:           pub/next/documents/NeXT/
>     sonata.cc.purdue.edu:  pub/next/docs/ (still in submissions directory?)
>     etlport.etl.go.jp:     pub/NeXT/documents/NeXTstepAdvantage/
>
> The file name is NeXTstepAdvantage.tar.Z; (its compressed size is 1.3
> megabytes; uncompressed, it's 9.5 megabytes).  In addition to the
> PostScript files listed below, the tar file contains the complete source
> code for the brochure's Plotter application (including makefiles, .h, .m,
> nib, tiff, and other files).

Anyone have any luck printing this file out on a non-NeXT printer?  I tried to
both a DEC PrinterServer 20 and a DEC LN03R.  The 01_StepByStep.ps only got to
the second page.  I'm not at work now so I can't tell if the postscript
character encoding thread is applicable here.

Any help would be appreciated.

tjb

| Thomas Baker                           Voice: (603) 743-4987      |
| P.O. Box 213                                                      |
| Durham, NH 03824           Internet/NeXTmail: tjb@IceCube.unh.edu |

louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun18.012042.6039@IceCube.unh.edu> tjb@IceCube.unh.edu writes:
>Anyone have any luck printing this file out on a non-NeXT printer?  I tried to
>both a DEC PrinterServer 20 and a DEC LN03R.  The 01_StepByStep.ps only got to
>the second page.

Funny, I was able to print it on our DEC PrintServer-40 without any
problems.  I don't recall off hand which version of software it [the
LPS-40] was running, but its not the newest or latest version.

louie

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (06/22/91)

In article <1991Jun18.012042.6039@IceCube.unh.edu> tjb@IceCube.unh.edu writes:
>In article <977@rosie.NeXT.COM> gmiller@NeXT.com (Gary Miller) writes:
>> *** New from the Publications Group at NeXT ***
>>
>> A PostScript-format version of the "NeXTstep Advantage" brochure is now
>> available on the following archive servers:
>>
>>     cs.orst.edu:           pub/next/documents/NeXT/
>>     sonata.cc.purdue.edu:  pub/next/docs/ (still in submissions directory?)
>>     etlport.etl.go.jp:     pub/NeXT/documents/NeXTstepAdvantage/
>>
>> The file name is NeXTstepAdvantage.tar.Z; (its compressed size is 1.3
>> megabytes; uncompressed, it's 9.5 megabytes).  In addition to the
>> PostScript files listed below, the tar file contains the complete source
>> code for the brochure's Plotter application (including makefiles, .h, .m,
>> nib, tiff, and other files).
>
>Anyone have any luck printing this file out on a non-NeXT printer?  I tried to

I tried printing it on a Apple LaserWriter IINTX.  It prints slow, but
it prints.

>both a DEC PrinterServer 20 and a DEC LN03R.  The 01_StepByStep.ps only got to

I tried printing it on our $30,000 printer here at work and it choked,
big time, like you only getting to the second page.

--
/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */