[net.auto] New auto models for 86 and 87

dlb@druxv.UUCP (Dave Bauer) (03/04/86)

Since I got absolutely no responses and saw no followups on the net,
I have a feeling this didn't get very far the first time.
Please excuse if you've already seen it.

What new automobile models are scheduled for the rest of 1986 and 1987?

Here's the list I've been able to amass.  Any additions/comments/corrections?

NOW    Hyundai Excel - South Korean 5 door hatchback and 4 door sedan,
          mechanically based on the Mitsubishi Mirage/Dodge Colt. Priced
          from $5000 stripped to $8000 in full dress.

3/86   Acura - 2nd model line from Honda - two models - the Legend (slightly
         larger than an Accord - around $20K) and the Integra (based on Civic
         line - $10-12K)

summer 86  Ford EXP/Mercury LN7 - restyled 2-seater based on Escort GT

fall 86 Dodge Sundance and Plymouth Shadow(?) - small 4 door American made
         sedan - either replacing Omni/Horizon clones or fitting in the
         product line between Omni/Horizon and Lancer/LebaronGTS.

1987 models
        Pontiac LeMans(?) - Korean import made by Daewoo.

        Chevy ??  - American made front wheel drive midsize to fit in product
                    line above the Cavalier and below the full size models.

        Cadillac  Allante (?) - 2 seater convertible sports coupe

Models reportedly being discontinued
        Ford LTD (being replaced by Taurus/Sable)
        Dodge Omni/Plymouth Horizon (possibly replaced by new models above)
--
  dave bauer    (303)538-4482          AT&T's Information Systems, Denver
ihnp4!druxv!dlb                11900 N. Pecos St., Room 30J28, Denver, CO  80234

hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) (03/06/86)

In article <102@druxv.UUCP> dlb@druxv.UUCP writes:
>What new automobile models are scheduled for the rest of 1986 and 1987?
>
>Here's the list I've been able to amass.  Any additions/comments/corrections?
>
>NOW    Hyundai Excel - South Korean 5 door hatchback and 4 door sedan,
>3/86   Acura - 2nd model line from Honda - two models - the Legend (slightly
>summer 86  Ford EXP/Mercury LN7 - restyled 2-seater based on Escort GT
>fall 86 Dodge Sundance and Plymouth Shadow(?) - small 4 door American made
>         sedan - either replacing Omni/Horizon clones or fitting in the
>         product line between Omni/Horizon and Lancer/LebaronGTS.

Close.  According to PM, it sits squarely between the Omni/Horizon and
Reliant/Aries lines.

>1987 models
>        Pontiac LeMans(?) - Korean import made by Daewoo.
>        Chevy ??  - American made front wheel drive midsize to fit in product
>                    line above the Cavalier and below the full size models.

I'm confusing names, but this may be the Corsica?  Also, another GM
division is working on the Baretta 2-seat coupe.

>        Cadillac  Allante (?) - 2 seater convertible sports coupe

I think this is a glorious project to squeeze big bucks out of the gullible
end of the luxury market.  Rumored to sell for over 50k, it looks nice, but
somehow the thought of paying more than a 560SL for something with a
(relatively) wimpy HT4100 engine (albeit port-injected) seems sort of warped.
Don't they still say something like "Cadillac uses engines manufactured
by other GM divisions....blah blah blah"?

>Models reportedly being discontinued
>        Ford LTD (being replaced by Taurus/Sable)
>        Dodge Omni/Plymouth Horizon (possibly replaced by new models above)
>--
>  dave bauer    (303)538-4482          AT&T's Information Systems, Denver

You missed Ford's re-introduction of the Mach-1 nameplate to the Mustang
line (as well as the addition of a front-drive model), the introduction of
the Granada Scorpio to the Merkur line this winter, the 4x4 Escort, the
Chrysler Q-coupe, and the new Supra (nee Celica Supra).  And wasn't there
something going on to import the Daihatsu Charade too?  Oh, right, and
the Big Benz' (500 series) get overhauled around 87 too.  And we get
the Porsche 924 Carrera.  Um, the Corvette is due for a powerplant
transfusion soon, isn't it?  And the Nissan Mid-4...how could I forget.
And...

-dave

--
David Hsu	Communication & Signal Processing Lab, EE Department
<disclaimer>	University of Maryland,  College Park, MD 20742

"Godzilla has been spotted in Sector 5!"

citrin@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Wayne Citrin) (03/09/86)

You also missed the Mazda RX-7 Turbo, which should be out in a month or two.

Wayne Citrin