[comp.sys.next] Optical drives for the NeXTstation

mat@zeus.opt-sci.arizona.edu (Mat Watson) (06/23/91)

I'm reposting this since I suspect that it never left
the U of A, and I'm really quite interested in hearing
whether others can confirm or deny what the NeXT person
told me.

Don McGregor writes:
   Susan Fichera writes

   > I'm still looking for sources of 3rd party optical drives
   > for the NeXT.

   Has anyone tried hooking up the various Mac-ish SCSI ISO optical drives?
   Seems like it should work in theory.

I just called NeXT technical support, and the agent who spoke to me
indicated that special software is required.  Specifically one needs
to have a device driver capable of controlling the 3rd party drive from
the NeXT across the SCSI buss (apparently all SCSI devices are not
created equal :-) ).

One company which sells such a beast (you get the driver with the
drive) is NeXTConnection.  For a mere $3875 they will sell you a SONY
600MB drive (which cannot read NeXT optical disks).  This is way
outside my budget for an optical drive, but so far it is the only one
I've found with a device driver for the NeXT.

Shall I write my own device driver, or is that a path tread only by
the immortal? :-) I've messed around with sockets and ioctl.  Does
this qualify hack the next kernel?  Does my Sun Unix documentation on
device drivers apply to the NeXT/Mach combination?  Has someone else
already done this?  Sure would save me some time if they have.

Cheers to all,

--Mat     mat@zeus.opt-sci.arizona.edu