[comp.sys.next] ownership of automounted volumes

dwatola@NEXTASY2.EECS.WSU.EDU (David Watola) (06/23/91)

very recently, some people have pointed out that making automounted
floppies or opticals owned by whoever is on the console (and ignoring
actual written ownerships) is a security risk.

but consider the alternative.  i could make a setuid root script or
program that gave me a subshell here on my machine at home, pop it
on a floppy (or optical disk if i had one) and bring it to school.
if the written ownerships were respected, then i would magically
inherit root privileges.  neat, huh?  so which security risk is worse.

there would also be the problem that internal user numbers for the same
user vary from system to system.  i suspect that this is the cause of
some of the problems i have transferring writenow files between machines.
often, when i try to open a file i have transferred, it will tell me that
the file is locked by some other account that never even touched the file!!!
apparently, writenow maintains (in the file itself) a record of who used
it last for this purpose.

hmmmm...  i'm a little to lazy to try this out myself right now, so i'll
submit it to all you readers.  if you put a setuid root executable on a
floppy and it gets automounted by the workspace, does it still come up
as a  setuid file?  and setuid who?  i dimly recall that once i tried
putting a setuid root file on a floppy and it refused to work, but i was
in no mood to find out why.  and how about opticals?  (i couldn't check
this out--i don't have root access to a machine with an optical drive).

dave watola
dwatola@nextasy2.eecs.wsu.edu
dwatola@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu

jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) (06/23/91)

dwatola@NEXTASY2.EECS.WSU.EDU (David Watola) writes:
>very recently, some people have pointed out that making automounted
>floppies or opticals owned by whoever is on the console (and ignoring
>actual written ownerships) is a security risk.
>
>but consider the alternative.
    [ make a suid program on one NeXT using root access, take optical to
    another, bust in ]
>neat, huh?  so which security risk is worse.

Not *THE* alternative.  *ONE* alternative.  I would prefer that the
owner/group of removable media was preserved and suid/sgid was disabled.
This makes a lot more sense to me.

This is how the NeXT currently behaves:
* Anyone can set the suid bit on any file on an automounted optical.
* The suid bit will not be honored on any file on an automounted optical.
* The suid bit will be preserved after the optical is unmounted.

This is an easy way to get root privileges without ever needing the
root password on any machine.  If automounted disks honored the owner
and group information, then you would need the root password on at
least one machine for such an attack.

--
Jim Wright
jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu