[net.auto] Service Manual Recommendations

citrin@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Wayne Citrin) (03/09/86)

I'm looking for a service manual for my car (a 1985 RX-7).  What is the
best manual to get?  If it's the factory manual, how do I get one?
Would a good automotive book store have one?

Wayne Citrin
(ucbvax!citrin)

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (03/10/86)

In article <12267@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> citrin@ucbvax.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Wayne Citrin) writes:
>I'm looking for a service manual for my car (a 1985 RX-7).  What is the
>best manual to get?  If it's the factory manual, how do I get one?
>Would a good automotive book store have one?

Go to the parts department of your dealer and buy the factory manual.
It'll be maybe $30. A small fraction of the price of your car.  Also,
if you like pretty pictures, you can probably buy the parts catalog
for your model. (I have done this for my Honda Civic.)
--
 "We must welcome the future, remembering that soon it will become the
  present, and respect the past, knowing that once it was all that was

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

hedden@atux01.UUCP (D. Hedden) (03/10/86)

In article <12267@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, citrin@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Wayne Citrin) writes:
> I'm looking for a service manual for my car (a 1985 RX-7).  What is the
> best manual to get?  If it's the factory manual, how do I get one?
> Would a good automotive book store have one?

Whatever the particular car, I recommend the factory service or shop
manual.  They can be purchased from a dealer parts counter (may have
to be ordered, and tend to be fairly expensive, usually $20-$30).
The factory manuals tend to have complete information, good instruct-
ional diagrams and photos, and parts numbers for special tools
required for particular tasks.  In addition they usually have complete
wiring information, and directions on the body work (where to find
those screws holding the dashboard together, the easy way to get to
some items, etc.), and they have testing procedures for the systems
in your particular car, not generic emissions system testing, etc.

In addition to the factory manual, I also keep a copy of Motor's Manual
that has my car in it.  These are generally available from bookstores.
I have found that having a second set of directions on an operation
frequently clarifies what I am supposed to do, and sometime tells
me how to get by without an expensive special tool.  I happen to like
the format, style, and writing in Motor's, you might prefer Chilton's
or someone elses.  The main point is have a second source of info.

If all you will be doing is minor tune-ups, don't spend the money
on either.  The owner's manual and a modicum of mechanical experi-
ence will probably suffice.

   "The moving hand writes ..."

    Don