[comp.sys.next] magneto-optical disk medium

isbell@ucscf.UCSC.EDU (Art Isbell) (06/23/91)

In article <1991Jun22.123950.1@capd.jhuapl.edu> waltrip@capd.jhuapl.edu writes:
>I also feel that it would be good business for NeXT to continue to make
>software distributions available via "old" media such as ODs...but feel that
>they should adopt charges commensurate with their distribution costs for such
>media.                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^

Mod my limited knowledge of the market price of magneto-optical disk media in
general, I'd say that NeXT *is* charging a reasonable price for distribution
software on OD.  2.1 on OD retails for $195 (less for registered developers and
probably higher education), only $46 more than the selling price of the medium
alone.  That's a lot of software for $46!  Copying the software to the OD costs
something.  And I don't mind having another OD; I can always find something to
take up the extra space available :-)

I just wish that NeXT would support the double-sided, 512 MB Canon OD.  Its
cost is not much greater (I'd certainly be willing to spend an extra $25, the
approximate price differential between NeXT's 256 MB OD and 512 MB OD's from
various retailers), and I'd love to have an extra 256 MB available.
--
Art Isbell                 |\   |  HELP!  |    |  |   \    315 Moon Meadow Lane