[comp.sys.next] /usr/ucb/talk broken?

garnett@cs.utexas.edu (John William Garnett) (06/23/91)

Am I the only one having difficulties getting /usr/ucb/talk to connect
to talk programs running on machines other than NeXTs (such as Sparc's
and Sun3's)?  So far, the only machine I've been able to get the talk
running on a NeXT to connect to is an RS/6000 running AIX.  When
I try talking to a Sparc the talk hangs at this message:

[Checking for invitation on caller's machine]

Are sources available for talk?  I've looked in the USENET archives
but only see versions for System V.

----
Information from the Sparc:

SunOS Release 4.1.1 (GENERIC) #1: Thu Oct 11 10:25:14 PDT 1990
@(#)talk.c 1.6 88/08/03 SMI (from: strings /usr/ucb/talk)
@(#)in.talkd.c 1.8 89/06/22 SMI (from: strings /usr/etc/in.talkd)

Information from the NeXT:

NeXT Extended Release 2.0
5.2 (Berkeley) 3/13/86 (from: strings /usr/ucb/talk)
5.4 (Berkeley) 3/13/86 (from: strings /usr/etc/talkd)
--
John Garnett
                              University of Texas at Austin

hardy@lynx.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (06/23/91)

Talk on the Next works with HP-UX (of course!), ultrix and even AIX, but
not with the speech-impaired version of SunOS; so what you need in a
new version on the SUNs.

Greetings,
Hardy
			  -------****-------
Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy);  Department of Physics, University of California
Irvine CA 92717; (714) 856 5543; hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu or MMAYER@UCI.BITNET

In article <HARDY.91Jun22203048@lynx.ps.uci.edu>
	hardy@lynx.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) writes:
>Talk on the Next works with HP-UX (of course!), ultrix and even AIX, but
>not with the speech-impaired version of SunOS; so what you need in a
>new version on the SUNs.

I e-mailed appropriate source code and instructions.
(EPS has to put up with Suns too.  :-) )

					-=EPS=-

cnh5730@maraba.tamu.edu (06/24/91)

In article <1575@dimebox.cs.utexas.edu> garnett@cs.utexas.edu (John William
Garnett) writes:
Am I the only one having difficulties getting /usr/ucb/talk to connect
to talk programs running on machines other than NeXTs (such as Sparc's
and Sun3's)?

No, you are not... and I wish we could get this put into the FAQ (Pascal?):
SUN ships an older version of talk which is incompatible with the newer
version(s), one of which NeXT ships.

You need to get the SUNs upgraded to the new version of talk. You can contact
the Texas A&M University sys-admins for help if you like. Some of the SUNs here
have been upgraded.