[comp.sys.next] Multiple Images in a Single TIFF from Icon?

wjs@milton.u.washington.edu (William Jon Shipley) (06/21/91)

Anyone know how to save multiple images of different bit depths to a single
TIFF file from Icon?

The reason I want to do this is because I want to create icons that show up
in color on color systems and grayscale on grayscale systems.  Now, I know
this happens by default, but I want to hand-tune my grayscale bitmaps, which
means including two icons in every file.

The NXImage object is keen enough to display the correct depth bitmap if you
have multiple bitmaps in a single file, but the problem is getting them there.

I've done it by hand (with a little program I wrote) but I'm looking for a
nice way to do it.  And, since Icon seems to have a zillion features no one
has figured out, I thought I'd ask the net.

BTW, I tried defining multiple frames using Icon's Animate menu, but I can't
get them to be different bit depths.

-william shipley

PS: For an example of a color/grayscale icon, look at Icon's icon.  On
grayscale machines the pencil is drawing ltgray, dkgray, and black dots,
whereas on color machines it is drawing a sort of rainbow.  (If there weren't
two images enclosed, the icon would show up on grayscale machines with
dithering on the dots.)

aozer@next.com (Ali Ozer) (06/24/91)

In article <1991Jun20.221058.16114@milton.u.washington.edu> William Jon Shipley writes:
>Anyone know how to save multiple images of different bit depths to a single
>TIFF file from Icon?
>The reason I want to do this is because I want to create icons that show up
>in color on color systems and grayscale on grayscale systems.  Now, I know
>this happens by default, but I want to hand-tune my grayscale bitmaps, which
>means including two icons in every file.

Editing multiple images in a single TIFF is not among Icon's many features.
However, the command line program "tiffutil" will do what you want:

	tiffutil -cat FooColor.tiff FooMonochrome.tiff -out Foo.tiff

Ali, Ali_Ozer@NeXT.com