[net.auto] Hundai Info Requested

pgr@mtgzy.UUCP (p.g.russo) (03/07/86)

I'd like to learn more about this Korean built car. Can
anyone:

     1. Point me toward any issues of magazines that reviewed it
     2. Give me any personal experiences
     3. Know of dealers selling the car in the Jersey shore area;
         TV ads give an 800 number - does anyone have that?
     4. Have any ideas about servicing - if I had to go out
        of the area to buy it, could my mechanic (who services most
        imports) handle routine maintenance?
     5. Do you think parts, etc would be difficult to obtain?

Thanks,

Pat Russo

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (03/08/86)

How about: 0-60 in 16 seconds?
(My Civic does 0-60 in 9 seconds.)

I saw one and went for a test drive. They are acceptable
transportation.  If you want what is essentially an eight year old
Japanese car for a little bit less than what Japanese cars currently
cost, you should check it out.
--
 "We must welcome the future, remembering that soon it will become the
  present, and respect the past, knowing that once it was all that was

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) (03/11/86)

In article <1642@mtgzy.UUCP> pgr@mtgzy.UUCP writes:
>I'd like to learn more about this Korean built car. Can
>anyone:
>
>     1. Point me toward any issues of magazines that reviewed it
>
>Pat Russo

Try the March '86 Motor Trend (3 page review) or the March '86 Money magazine
(comparison between Hyundai Excel, Yugo GV, and Chevy Sprint).  Basic facts
and opinions squeezed from both articles:

Uses same engine/powertrain as base Dodge Colt, down to the MCA/Jet system.
Champion plugs, Goodyear tires.  Includes full-size spare.
Dead steering feel, although "no worse than a Tercel".
Learned to build cars "through partnerships with Ford and Mitsubishi in the
   late 1960s and early 1970s".

Money's article compares the Excel at different option levels with the Honda
Civic DX and the Toyota Corolla LE.  Although they don't find the interior
fit and finish quite as good as that of Japanese makes, they note apparently
flawless exterior workmanship, and as one moves up through the option levels,
the price disparity in favor of the Hyundai grows greater.

Motor Trend claims .36 CD drag for the Excel; Money claims 13.5 0-60 for the
Excel GL.

-dave
--
David Hsu	Communication & Signal Processing Lab, EE Department
<disclaimer>	University of Maryland,  College Park, MD 20742

ARPA n. [acronym for Advanced Research Projects Agency.]  An agency of the
	U.S. Department of Defense established in 1968 to test its defenses
	against misuse and piracy in the large-scale distributed processing
	environment.
			-Stan Kelly-Bootle, "The Devil's DP Dictionary"