[comp.sys.next] NeXT humor

grd@ccrma.stanford.edu (glen diener) (06/23/91)

Ever wonder if the mach magic number, 0xfeedface, is coincidental,
or was someone displaying their humor?  On a similar note,
when running gdb, I frequently find that stale pointers show
up with the address 0xdeadbeef. Hmm.

-glen diener
grd@ccrma.stanford.edu

Gerhard.Moeller@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Gerhard Moeller) (06/25/91)

grd@ccrma.stanford.edu (glen diener) writes:

>Ever wonder if the mach magic number, 0xfeedface, is coincidental,
>or was someone displaying their humor?  On a similar note,
>when running gdb, I frequently find that stale pointers show
>up with the address 0xdeadbeef. Hmm.

>-glen diener
>grd@ccrma.stanford.edu

as far as i know, magic numbers are put to the processor to give him a
special state. and those numbers are just a choice of some people who
hope that they do not appear by accident. therefor feedface, deadbeef,
and many other more (as seen on suns, etc.)

		But im not that sure, Gerhard.
--

+---------------------------< principiis obsta! >---------------------------+
| Gerhard Moeller, Teichstrasse 12, 2900 Oldenburg (FRG)    [Geb. 02/21/68] |

lane@CAMIS.STANFORD.EDU (Christopher Lane) (06/25/91)

On Sat, 22 Jun 1991 19:25:42 GMT, grd@ccrma.stanford.edu wrote:
> Ever wonder if the mach magic number, 0xfeedface, is coincidental,
> or was someone displaying their humor?  On a similar note,
> when running gdb, I frequently find that stale pointers show
> up with the address 0xdeadbeef. Hmm.

Of course, using grep -e '^[a-f]*$' on the word files in /usr/dict you can
come up with all sorts of possibilities for MAGIC pointers:

    0xdadacafe (dada, a movement in art, & cafe)
    0xbeadbabe (bead babe)
    0xadeadace (a dead ace)
    0xabacaaba (abaca, banana fiber, & aba, sleeveless outer garment)

Using the 'x' as part of the phrase is even trickier:

    0xebecface (xebec, 3-masted sailing ship, & face -- aka 'figurehead')

With a little more work, and a lot more wasted time, you can probably even
come up with one that's a palindrome too!  (Or an anagram--or both! ;-)

- Christopher