[net.auto] adding intercoolers to turbo, CAR WARRANTY OK!

earle@miracl.DEC (Re-entrant list structures alter DNA) (03/09/86)

From:	RHEA::DECWRL::"pyramid!hplabs!tektronix!uw-beaver!tikal!amc!eric" "Eric McRae"  8-MAR-1986 09:57
To:	tikal!uw-beaver!tektronix!hplabs!pesnta!pyramid!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-miracl!earle
Subj:	RE: Adding things (turbos,intercoolers) to your new car

Date: Thu, 6 Mar 86 09:06:58 pst
Newsgroups: net.auto.tech

I put a factory intercooler on my 82 Volvo Turbo wagon.  The big thing
there is that given the cooler air, they allowed a higher boost level.
The kit included a replacement wastegate actuator which opened at a
pressure about 30% higher than the non-intercooled version.  An
intercooler without a new higher boost limit actuator would provide
only a limited increase in engine performance.

This additional air mass put me in the back seat the first time I
stomped on it.  Lots of torque and power from a 4 cylinder engine.

The kit took about 4 hours to carefully install.  The instructions
were good.  The installation and engine are warranted if you take the
newly installed kit (along with your car) to a dealer to be tested for
proper boost limit pressure.  The kit cost $575.  It's like having a
new double sized engine without doubling the gasoline costs.  I think
it's been really worth it.  I've blown the doors off enough cameros
and the like to have gotten my $575 anyway.

hgp@houem.UUCP (#H.PAGE) (03/11/86)

>	I put a factory intercooler on my 82 Volvo Turbo wagon.  The big thing
>	there is that given the cooler air, they allowed a higher boost level.
>	The kit included a replacement wastegate actuator which opened at a
>	pressure about 30% higher than the non-intercooled version.  An
>	intercooler without a new higher boost limit actuator would provide
>	only a limited increase in engine performance.
>
>	This additional air mass put me in the back seat the first time I
>	stomped on it.  Lots of torque and power from a 4 cylinder engine.
>
>	The kit took about 4 hours to carefully install.  The instructions
>	were good.  The installation and engine are warranted if you take the
>	newly installed kit (along with your car) to a dealer to be tested for
>	proper boost limit pressure.  The kit cost $575.  It's like having a
>	new double sized engine without doubling the gasoline costs.  I think
>	it's been really worth it.  I've blown the doors off enough cameros

Is this due to the additional air mass to which you earlier refer?	;-)

--

Howard G. Page   AT&T BTL,  HO 3D-534, +1 201 949-0366, ..!ihnp4!houem!hgp